PDA

View Full Version : Interesting discussion on army strengths.

Rhellion
12-07-2011, 11:45
After this weekend's inaugural Blood in the Sun GT in the Chicagoland area, the 50 player tournament was won overall by Brettonians. Best General was Beastmen! And third place overall were Wood Elves! To me it totally smashes so many preconceived ideas of the "power level" of 8th edition armies. None of the armies listed were really any sort of crazy trick list either, they all seemed powerfully built in their own way but more or less "normal" with the triple Treeman list for Wood Elves being only a little bit different.

A large(r) event over the course of 5 games tells a lot more than what are probably opinions based on small local clubs / events. The three "worst armies" are not nearly as bad as people make them out to be.

Top 10 finishers: (http://www.bloodinthesun.com/results.asp)

1 Brettonians
2 Beastmen
3 Wood Elves
4 Dark Elves
5 Lizardmen
6 Beastmen
7 Skaven
8 Orcs and Goblins
9 Warriors of Chaos
10 Warriors of Chaos

Sexiest_hero
12-07-2011, 12:14
well in all fairness it did have a comp/painting/sport score. Some armies outdid the scond and third place armies in straight battle points. I also dislike painting, as some people can afford to get a pro paint, while people like myself with a family have to paint ourselves. What did the comp limit? Did people give bad sport scores just for loosing?

That said looks like the Brett player wrecked face. Bretts are a powerhouse in 8, it just has yet to catch on.

Rhellion
12-07-2011, 13:00
well in all fairness it did have a comp/painting/sport score. Some armies outdid the scond and third place armies in straight battle points. I also dislike painting, as some people can afford to get a pro paint, while people like myself with a family have to paint ourselves. What did the comp limit? Did people give bad sport scores just for loosing?

That said looks like the Brett player wrecked face. Bretts are a powerhouse in 8, it just has yet to catch on.

My Skaven army was 7th place. I went 5-0 but got 3rd place on Battle Points, so the Beastmen player rightly won 2nd place with 4 more battle points than I scored. The second and third places both painted their own armies (third place won Player's Choice). The comp was player scored... and that DID hurt me as I scored the lowest comp in the tournament. Though I did score 34 out of 35 for Sportsmanship, so players did NOT tank opponent's comp just for losing. So your worries are incorrect.

theunwantedbeing
12-07-2011, 13:02
88.0 Brets (2)
76.0 Skaven (2)
70.0 Wood Elves (2)
69.4 Beastmen (5)
68.5 Daemons (2)
64.5 Orcs&Goblins (6)
63.5 Warriors of Chaos (6)
59.5 High Elves (2)
57.6 Dark Elves (5)
57.5 Empire (2)
51.0 Lizardmen (6)
48.5 Tomb Kings (2)
47.0 Chaos Dwarves (2)
45.0 Dwarves (3)
44.0 Dogs of War (1)
38.0 Ogre Kingdoms (1)

There we go, thats those figures sorted into the bit that matters, which is the actual battles and numbers of people who used each army.