PDA

View Full Version : From 40k to fantasy: Learning Lizardmen

MOMUS
12-07-2011, 14:36
Hey all

I have always loved lizardmen since when they first appeared (reworked) way back in an old WD. I read every bit of fluff i could find and ever since have always kept up to date with each race as the editions rolled by, even though only usually playing 40k.
With 8th im hooked all over again, several members of my local club have started fantasy armies and ive decided to join them by creating a Lizardmen army.

Got inspiration from this thread:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246786&highlight=fantasy

I created this thread as a way to keep track of my games as i learn WHFB and also perhaps garner some tactical feedback from other gamers. I am a long time 40k gamer who usually plays CSM (see my sig), but have always kept an eye on how fantasy rules have changed from edition to edition.

So, why lizardmen? Well apart from the above i wanted a fun army to play. I hate 'point and click' forces and usually veer to the more 'interesting' lists, this is why of late i have grew tired with my chaos marines and started using an all outflank traitor guard force.
I wanted a good selection of unit types and tactics available to me. I also have a thing for the underdog, which is why i picked southlands.

So the list i created for my first friendly was this:

Slann (shadow)
BSB, general
Cupped hands, ethereal, extra power die, loremaster
420pts

priest
lvl1, bloodspite statuette, dispell scroll
115pts

chief
javelins, shield, L.armour
Firefly frog venom, Curse charm of tepok
97pts

30 skink cohorts
2 kroxigor
full command
277pts

30 skink cohorts
2 kroxigor
full command
277pts

2 jungle swarms
90pts

3X10 skink skirmishers
210pts

2X7 camo skinks
stalkers
180pts

3 terradons
90pts

2 salamanders
150pts

1 salamander
75pts

MOMUS
12-07-2011, 14:51
My first opponent was a regular at my local club who, like me had decided to start learning fantasy in 8th.
He was fielding a vampire counts army.

Deployment went something like this:

Scary combat monster Vamp lord (ghoul-kin)
Wight hero
necro
4) 40 ghouls, ghast [characters go here]
5) 40 zombies, banner
2) 20 ghouls, ghast
3) 20 ghouls, ghast
7) 20 ghouls, ghast
1+6) varghulf

1) Terradons
2) skink skirmishers
3) salamanders
4) skink cohorts
5) skink cohorts (slann)
6) jungle swarms
7) skink chief
8) skink priest
9) skink skirmishers
10) salamander
11) camo skinks
12) camo skinks
13) skink skirmishers

Will post the report later.

MOMUS
14-07-2011, 10:46
Game 1

So i didnt have a chance to take any pictures for this game, hence the lame graphic.

After deployment Will (my opponent) moves all his ghoul units forwards as far as possible (ghoul-kin) and i forgot my terradon vanguard move.:(
We rolled for first turn and i got it even though Will had the +1.
On my left flank my terradons and skinks rushed towards the varghulf and the sallies moved up through the rocks. In my center the cohorts stood firm, the swarms swung round ready to flank, the priest and chief lurked and the skirmishers darted forwards into the jungle. Both units of camo skinks circled in towards the varghulf on my right, the salamander and attending skirmishers on my right dashed to the board edge.
Magic went well with my slann getting off a couple of hexes and then he IF on withering, due to cupped hands the miscast bounced onto the vamp lord wounding all his characters and killing loads of (T2) ghouls. :evilgrin:
Shooting on my right flank was overkill on the varghulf and the lone sallie flamed a few ghouls, on my left the terradons put a couple of wounds on the vargulf. The sallies in the center right flamed a few ghouls and ate an unlucky skink.
Will cursed my slann, his main killy unit was now under half strength in turn 1.
All undead units surged forwards the varghulf and ghouls on the left charged and chased the terradons and skinks. While the ghouls on the right shuffled helplessly, the main units in the middle surged forwards and the zombies charged and ran down the camo skinks with danse macabre.

Turn 2
Damn that danse! My skinks on the left encircled and peppered the isolated ghouls, the skinks and terradons on my right rallied and reformed (I forgot they get the fast cav free reform). The skink cohort on the left reformed and moved towards the ghoul unit which had previously run down the sallies, while the other cohort charged into the central unit of ghouls. I managed to get a few spells off mainly to hex the enmy and help my units in combat. The slann escaped the unit and hid within the nearby rocks. The salamander on the right ate a skink (he would do this for the rest of the game) and my unengaged cohort killed a bunch of ghouls with javelins. The jungle swarms charged into the zombies flank and surprising won the combat. My main cohort didnít fare as well, seven skinks were killed by the vampire lord alone. The lost the combat but held with the help of the slann.
Will charged with the varghulf and ghouls on the far left I held and shot (so I didnít run off the board) shooting killed a few ghouls and reduced the varghulf to one wound. They were wiped out in the following combat. The next unit of ghouls reformed (out of vamp range) to face my skink cohort. The zombies again lost the combat but reformed to face the swarms and the ghoul unit on the far right shuffled around. In the center the ghouls unit again won the combat, but the skinks were buying time for the krox who were hacking apart the remaining undead. The skinks held, just.

Turn 3
My skinks on the right shot down more ghouls and the sallie ate another skink. The camo skinks moved up behind the zombies, while the swarms were joined by the skink chief who charged the now exposed zombie flank. The chief and his swarm allies made a mess of the zombie unit which was steadily shrinking. The skink cohort on the right charged the ghoul unit now facing it and won the combat convincingly. The main fight in the center was getting desperate now with just a few skinks left, they held again thanks to poison and the krox.
The varghulf and ghouls on the left attepted to charge my cohort but failed and the ghouls stuck far out on the right charged the skinks (foolishly I had left them just in charge arc). The skinks held and shot but were wiped. The cohort on the left wiped the ghouls and reformed to face the varghulf and his undead mates. The zombies managed to win a combat and kill a base of swarms while in the center the ghouls finally managed to kill the skink cohort, although were now badly reduced in number.

Turn 4
The skink cohort on the left moved up and shot at the varghulf killing it and my slann and priest tried to run away as far as they could. The camo skinks shot at the center ghoul unit killing more.
Will charged with the ghouls on the left his main unit reformed with the vampire charging my slann (double 6) and the necro diving into some rocks. The ghouls and cohorts drew combat, meanwhile the zombies lost another combat. The necro raised a few ghouls and the vampire slayed my slann :cries:.

Turn 5
The camo skinks ran towards the necro and the sallie on the right ate another skink. The camo skinks shot a caused a ton of wounds on the necro, annoyingly Will saved all but one. The skink priest moved away from the vamp and cast comet of casandora in between himself and the bloodthirsty vampire. The combat involving the cohort and ghouls was bloody but both held firm.
Will charged the vampire into my priest and moved the ghouls on the right toward the center. The wight lord charged out the ghouls and attacked the camo skinks. The vampire was poised to strike down my skink priest all I had to do was roll a 4+ and the comet would crash down on their heads hopefully killing the vampire. I rolled a 3. The skink was cut down in short order as were the camo skinks. The cohort killed the last of the ghouls and reformed to face the vampire.

We called it there.

Post match thoughts

I had a great time playing this game! My opponent is a good general and the game was hard fought, i did let myself down not getting to know my army well enough. Things i learnt:
1. Fear for salamanders and krox
2. Salamanders are actually not that bad in combat
3. Terradons get vanguard and free reform after flee
4. Lore of shadow free teleport after successful spell
5. Kill the vampire
6. kill the vampire

Any comments or tactical advise appreciated.

Far2Casual
14-07-2011, 12:31
Err, what's the result at the end ? :D

Nasty lizardmen, they don't have any bad unit, do they ? Gg !

MOMUS
14-07-2011, 13:31
Err, what's the result at the end ? :D

Nasty lizardmen, they don't have any bad unit, do they ? Gg !

Whoops! In the end it was a victory for the undead. The main factor was the slann who is worth 400+ VP and is my BSB and general.

My skinks are severly outclassed in cohort formation, everytime i cast an offensive spell im not hexing and thus helping my skinks with combat/shooting.
My opponent builds competitive lists by default, he has mitigated the main weakness of undead (mobility) by having an entire army vanguard (ghoul-kin) forwards before the game. The only units that cant move pre-game are varghulf, which can fly and zombies which are only for the blood and glory mission.
Although i think i could beat this list if we re-played the game he has since modified the army to compensate for the weaknesses.

SevenSins
15-07-2011, 11:53
keeping the slann alive is rather important points wise thats true ;)

an interesting army, and by no means point and click thats's for sure, skinks are some of the worst cc combatants of the old world

Gabacho Mk.II
16-07-2011, 06:20
Quite interesting..... I havent seen this type of force in 8th yet. Well done on your first game! :p

MOMUS
19-07-2011, 05:17
So after my first great game i decided to tweak my list a bit. The main difference is the skinks, where i swapped out one unit of skirmishers for bigger camo skink units and my magic items. I gave the slann bane head, to work with cupped hands and becalming cogitation to work with the priests feedback scroll. These changes were mainly to deal with enemy casters.

Slann (shadow) BSB, general, Cupped hands, becalming cogitation, extra power die, loremaster, bane head *in unit 8
priest, lvl1, feedback scroll *in unit 9
chief, shield, L.armour, bloodspite statuette *in unit 7

5) 30 skink cohorts, 2 kroxigor, full command
8) 30 skink cohorts, 2 kroxigor, full command
3) 2 jungle swarms
2+9) 2X10 skink skirmishers
1+10) 2X10 camo skinks, stalkers
2) 3 terradons
6) 2 salamanders
4) 1 salamander

My opponent had also changed his list for our next game, it was something like this:

Vamp lord (caster) *in unit 7
Vamp lord (fighter) *in unit 8
Wight BSB banner of strigos? (ghoul hatred) *in unit 4
Wight magic sword *in unit 3
Wight (no equipment) *in unit 6
Necro *next to unit 5

4) 40 ghouls
2) 20 zombies, banner
5) 20 zombies, banner
3) 20 ghouls, ghast
7) 20 ghouls, ghast
8) 20 ghouls, ghast

6) 10 graveguard
1) 5 bloodknights

See below for deployment.

MOMUS
19-07-2011, 10:13
Game 2
So even though I took my camera i still forgot to take any pictures for this game.

Turn 1
After deployment we roll off for vanguard and ghoul-kin, I lose and move my terradons into the center. Will (my opponent) moves all his ghoul units forwards as far as possible. We roll off for first turn and will gets it. I nominate bane head on the general.
My opponent declares a charge at the camo skinks with his blood knights and then moves all his units forwards, hedging in the far left and right to aim at my main units. The camo skinks flee.
My camo skinks rallies, the teraddons fly over the undead battle line while the swarms and sallies move up. On my right flank the skinks containing the priest and the camo skink unit skirt around the undead flank. My magic mainly consists of hexing the enemy. Shooting kills ghouls on my right flank and a few in the center (from the sallies). The best result is on my left flank where I shoot at the bloodknights killing two and in the backfield where I drop rocks on the wandering necro, squishing him.

Turn 2
Will moves his whole army up attempts a charge with a hexed ghoul unit on the right but fails due to having movement 1. He then charges the camo skinks on my left with the bloodknights, they flee again. His vampire lord uses all his power dice on an ‘uber’ fireball. He rolls the dice, unfortunately he fails (as I really wanted to use the feedback scroll).
This turn was crucial for me to get right. I rallied the camo skinks on the left shooting but not killing any bloodknights, the swarms charged the smaller ghoul unit in the flank (to tarpit them). The lone sallie moved up just in front of the fighting swarms and ghouls and lined up a shot at the 40 strong ghoul unit. My center cohort reformed ten wide to shoot, the middle skinks and sallies moved up to shoot and the slann cohort reformed. On my right the priest led skinks and camo skinks contined to harry the vampire led ghoul units. My magic was not good, I attempted to cast withering on the 40 ghoul unit so I could then throw all my dice at a pit of shades and get a IF (passing the miscast onto a vampire in the process) but failed the simple spell losing concentration. My chief attempted the bloodspite statue on a vamp casing one wound, the priest then uses all the remaining dice on the heavens signature spell on the graveguard. The swarms were wiped out in combat.

Turn 3
The bloodknights charged the camo skinks and I stood and shot, the 40 strong ghoul unit charged the center cohort and the ghoul unit that had previously killed the swarms ran down the sallie. The rest of his army moved up as best as it could, the units of ghouls being hexed and the zombies being out of vampire range. The bloodknights lost one of their number but wiped out the camo skinks and the ghoul unit trashed the cohort, the skinks were then run down by the rampaging ghouls.
My army was shrinking and my flank turning, if only I had got that withering off last turn! I mainly moved my units around the undead to better shoot them. In my magic phase I hex, then line up an IF ‘pendulum’ hitting ten ghouls, a vampire and a wight, wounding all. I pass the miscast onto the vampires who both take strength 6 hit killing his ‘caster’ vampire. Shooting then decimates his gaveguard and ghoul units. He tries to goad me into charging his graveguard but I resist. Everything hangs in the balance.

Turn 4
Will reforms his two ghoul units on the left along with the distant (and depleted) bloodknights. He charges the sallies with the graveguard who hold, runs the wounded vampire out of his unit and charges a ghoul unit into my cohort. The zombies having played no part in the entire battle shuffle forward confused. The sallies draw the combat (I think) while the ghouls lose against the cohort.
My terradons are unable to charge the vampire due to his careful positioning. The ghouls in combat are wiped out, my cohort reforms to face the incoming ghouls and some grave guard die. My shooting kills more ghouls on the right and reduces the vampire general to one wound. Darn it!

As it’s getting late, we call it here.
After counting up the VP, there is a 50pt margin. The game is a draw.

Post match thoughts
A draw is a great result and im happy, but i cant help thinking it would have gone differently if i had got the withering and powered up pit of shades to work on his 40 strong ghoul unit.
The swarms against the ghouls was foolish.
Im not sure if i was too risky with the camo skinks or not, they killed 3 bloodknights and kept them out of the game.
I like the combination of magic items i have.
I do wish i had more of a chance in the combat phase, i wish cohorts had spears.

Gabacho Mk.II
19-07-2011, 15:36
Interesting to see that you are doing rather well against Undead (VC specifically) without any Saurus, rather relying on Skink/Korx and Chamo/Skirmishing Skinks to carry the day.

I would beg you to drop your Swarms and your Terradons to add a feasible Saurus unit, but I dont think that you will. ;)

Thanks for the reports! Always good to gain new insight from other Lizardmen generals. :cool:

MOMUS
19-07-2011, 18:27
Interesting to see that you are doing rather well against Undead (VC specifically) without any Saurus, rather relying on Skink/Korx and Chamo/Skirmishing Skinks to carry the day.

I would beg you to drop your Swarms and your Terradons to add a feasible Saurus unit, but I dont think that you will. ;)

Thanks for the reports! Always good to gain new insight from other Lizardmen generals. :cool:

Thanks for the feedback :)

Actually i wouldnt mind getting rid of the swarms, i just have this distant hope of one day casting mindrazor on them (Ld10+5A).
Im thinking of running them as two seperate swarms to drag out my deployment, i considered dropping the skink skirmishers and 6 camo skinks to add a unit of twenty saurus.

As i have no frame of reference, are undead a 'strong' fantasy army?

SevenSins
19-07-2011, 22:00
nice rep. Vc is a strong army,used to be near broken but in 8th things have evened out a bit. They still have some brokeish combos though

MOMUS
20-07-2011, 04:37
nice rep. Vc is a strong army,used to be near broken but in 8th things have evened out a bit. They still have some brokeish combos though

Cheers SevenSins, here i was thinking they were veering towards the weaker group of armies.
Still, i dont understand why ghouls have the same toughness as bloodknights (T4)!

Ramius4
20-07-2011, 05:19
Still, i dont understand why ghouls have the same toughness as bloodknights (T4)!

Because in a system based on using the D6 and characteristics between 1-10, you can only have a certain amount of variance.

Gabacho Mk.II
20-07-2011, 06:18
Cheers SevenSins, here i was thinking they were veering towards the weaker group of armies.

Answer: Because they (ghouls) are broken.
If they were T3, as I have used in my last 2 campaigns, they would be markedly on the spot with their point value.

Necromancy Black
24-07-2011, 06:15
I do wish i had more of a chance in the combat phase, i wish cohorts had spears.

The thing is you have skins and saurus. Skinks are cheap but pathetic in combat, saurus are more expensive but good in combat, moving onto awesome once you start using magic to buff them of weaken the enemy.

You've chosen the weak combat unit, so you can't really expect them to do well in combat :p

MOMUS
25-07-2011, 06:16
You've chosen the weak combat unit, so you can't really expect them to do well in combat :p

Weaker, not weak.

I dont expect them to do well, just better. A bit of intenal balance between the only two ranked units in core isnt too much to ask for is it?

Free spears wouldnt be too bad, especially as kroxigor displace so many with their base size.

Jack of Blades
25-07-2011, 15:50
Weaker, not weak.

I dont expect them to do well, just better. A bit of intenal balance between the only two ranked units in core isnt too much to ask for is it?

Free spears wouldnt be too bad, especially as kroxigor displace so many with their base size.

If you wanted internal balance you picked the wrong army. But then, not many non-8th edition army books are all that impressive with their internal balance.

Vsurma
27-07-2011, 14:35
Weaker, not weak.

They have a different role.

Saurus are the bread and butter CC unit for lizardmen, they can take on most anything.

Skrox are elite monster hunters, sacrificing skinks while allowing the krox to beat down on the monsters. They suck vs infantry because they aren't supposed to engage infantry, they are fine vs monsters because losing 10 skinks in a round is so much nicer than losing 10 saurus. The krox will also do more dmg than saurus vs monsters.

Jazzmo
28-07-2011, 19:25
Nice battle dude, lizardmen kick ass
I use lots of Saurus in my lists tho, I take 2 units of either 15 or 20 it's fun watching the enemy try and break thu em expecaly if u add an old blood in there
I haven't got a chance to use a slann yet bc the whole finecast thing, I ordered one right b4 and now I have to wait for him to b in finecast

U ever thing about putting ur slann in a unit of temple guard? It would protect him and they can dish out some damage

MOMUS
29-07-2011, 05:56
They have a different role.

Saurus are the bread and butter CC unit for lizardmen, they can take on most anything.

Skrox are elite monster hunters, sacrificing skinks while allowing the krox to beat down on the monsters. They suck vs infantry because they aren't supposed to engage infantry, they are fine vs monsters because losing 10 skinks in a round is so much nicer than losing 10 saurus. The krox will also do more dmg than saurus vs monsters.

If see what you are saying but in a southlands list the skinks are my meat and potato.
I usually field my skinks with a wide frontage, walk them close to the enemy shoot and force the enemy to charge. So i get two rounds of 16 poison shots (stand and shoot) this helps with my combat res.
Im starting to think of maybe using the lore of life as T4 or T6 skink hordes would be fun.

Nice battle dude, lizardmen kick ass
I use lots of Saurus in my lists tho, I take 2 units of either 15 or 20 it's fun watching the enemy try and break thu em expecaly if u add an old blood in there
I haven't got a chance to use a slann yet bc the whole finecast thing, I ordered one right b4 and now I have to wait for him to b in finecast

U ever thing about putting ur slann in a unit of temple guard? It would protect him and they can dish out some damage

Cheers. I like the idea of normal lizardmen lists but for now im just focusing on a southlands style of army (all skink), i may add some saurus in the future.
Slann are great although i initially wanted to have a lizardmen army without one. :eek:

Game 3
So continuing my steep learning curve into fantasy me and a few regulars at the club decided to play a 4 player game. 2000pts per player, lizardmen and empire VS skaven and undead.

Enemy deployment was as follows, from left to right.
Grey units are undead, brown units skaven.

Doomwheel
20 Zombies
20 Zombies (necro hiding behind)
Vampire lord riding abyssal terror
5 Wraiths
20 Ghouls
60 Skavenslaves with FC, engineer
Warpfire thrower
15 Stormvermin
Warp lightning cannon
Manflayer?
60 Clanrats pushing screaming bell, grey seer, engineer, BSB, FC
Hell pit abomination
20 Ghouls
40 Ghouls with wight BSB, Konrad

Our deployment, from left to right
Blue units are lizardmen, beige units empire

10 camo skinks
30 skink cohorts, 2 krox, FC
30 skink cohorts, 2 krox, FC, slann
5 pistoliers
10 skink skirmishers
5 pistoliers
3 terradons
1 salamander
10 handgunners
jungle swarm
Empire lvl4 fire wizard
20 state troops
10 knights with general
Great cannon
1 salamander
10 skink skirmishers
20 state troops
EDIT forgot the hellstorm rocket was about here
10 hangunners
20 state troops

MOMUS
01-08-2011, 07:21
Turns 1-3

As the game was quite large and we were all quite magic heavy, we decided to roll 3d6 for the winds of magic.

All the ghouls march updue to ghoul-kin, while the terradons and pistoliers vanguard forward on the left flank. The placement of the camo skinks on left opposite the doomwheel was silly, i was hoping for first turn and some good poison rolls plus the stand and shoot when he charged.
Saying that the forces of darkness got the first turn and the doomwheel charged the skinks, they stood and shot and some even survived to fight in combat but due to the doomwheel armour only caused 1 wound. I should have used pendulum against it (keep forgeting d3 wounds).
The ghouls and abyssal terror moved forward, with the ghouls being double flanked by the units of pistoliers. The terradons flew over the terror wounding both the vampire and his mount by dropping rocks. My skinks with chief moved in support and i was stuck in a difficult posistion, whether to charge in and help the pistoliers or attack the terror with blowpipes. My empire buddy managed to convince me to help him, the ghouls actually managed to kill the empire horsemen and a few of my skinks, winning the combat.
The block of skaven slaves in the middle did little, was flamed by a salamander, shot by camo skinks and had a hellstorm to the face. The knights rushed forwards and crushed the stormvermin and then went on to destroy the cannon, manflayer and warpfirethrower. I charged the jungle swarm into the rear of the slaves at this point as they were manuvering to rear charge the knights.
The large block of clanrats with bell moved maybe once and rang the screaming bell all game (can you only ring it when standing still?). The HPA moved forward, was flanked and wounded by skinks and then charged into the empire line. I did try and flame it with salamanders to get rid of its regen but i didnt wound. The massive ghoul unit on the right flank (containing konrad) moved forwards and destoyed two units of statesmen.
Both of these units although very powerful were held up for a turn early game and then spent another turn reforming to face the rest of the battle. Deployed in the corner meant they had little impact in the rest of the game.

Turns 4-7

The doomwheel charged the skink cohort and fell and inch short, i decided to shoot it and then get the stand and shoot when it charged. For good measure i cast mindrazor on the cohort unit (S6 poison skinks+S7 kroigor). I should have just charged but never mind.
The othe cohort delt with the remaining ghouls, then the doomwheel did something unexpected. It rolled its movement and rather than go straight ahead, it pivoted and flank charged the non mindrazor cohort unit. (Is this right? Must the movement be in its forward arc?).
The terradons shot and killed a necromancer sulking behind the zombies, the wraiths and vampire lord started to bypass the two large cohort units heading to the vunerable center of our army. They killed anything left in thier way.
The knights in the center crashed into the clanrats which held, the grey seer miscasted twice killing himself (and wounding a necro and the vampire lord) before causing a super sneaky unit of skinks to turn into rats. They actually were rather close to a necro who was hiding, but from my side of the board i didnt see her and wasted a turn shooting inot the clanrat flank.
In a bid to hold up the slaves i charged in with the camo skinks which died and then the terradons who did suprisingly well.
The HPA was now moving into the center of the field, destroying my salamanders. My cohorts delt with the doomwheel and then reformed, my slann casted a IF pit of shades on the wraiths killing three and bounced the miscast onto the vampire lord killing him. They then shot the mount who was guarding his body next turn, while my slann used pit of shades on the HPA slaying the stange beast. The cohorts cleared up any remaining zombies and wraiths.
With the general gone, the undead started to crumble away.

As it was now three in the morning we decided to call it here, all that was left of the enemy was the large Konrad/ghoul unit and the seerless screaming bell unit.

Post game thoughts
I think both armies suffered due to deployment my slann should have been nearer the middle to affect more units with his spell casting.
The cohort hordes were great and delt with alot of different enemies, should have been more aggressive with them perhaps.
Abyssal terror? What a wimp, easy 500+ VP for me.
I really like terradons, i think i prefer their high movement to camo skinks scout. Lone characters beware falling rocks.
One think i am finding a bit tricky is salamanders, they seem to get charged all the time. Maybe its because i keep playing against aggressive armies so there is little time for shooting. I was going to max out the squads but have decided to keep them as they are.

C&C welcome

lovedinplaster
07-08-2011, 19:23
Mindrazoring your swarms isn't that bad an idea.. But honestly.. You need more swarms.. That's why they are called swarms.

I'd like to try... A unit of 6 Swarms:-p that protect the salamanders as they are small:-p

MOMUS
10-08-2011, 15:25
Mindrazoring your swarms isn't that bad an idea.. But honestly.. You need more swarms.. That's why they are called swarms.

I'd like to try... A unit of 6 Swarms:-p that protect the salamanders as they are small:-p

Im actually thinking of cutting the swarms, i only have 2 as they came with a bundle off ebay.
At 45 points a base they are almost as much as a kroxigor(and overcosted IMO), a unit of six(!) costs as much as one of my cohort units or 22 saurus with FC.

Should be having another battle tonight.

MOMUS
12-08-2011, 13:00
Only 40k at the last game night but have a list in mind for my next game of fantasy. The reason i have dropped becalming, is myself and regular opponent have a gentlemens agreement.
I asked him if his army would work aswel without ghoul-kin and he asked if i would drop cogitation.
Im going to try out some templeguard and I have also dropped my bloodspite statue chief for an extra priest with a cube. Not sure if i need the cupped hands using the lore of life but we will see.

Slann (life or shadow) BSB, general, Cupped hands, extra power die, loremaster, bane head
priest, lvl1, feedback scroll
priest, lvl1, cube of darkness

30 skink cohorts, 2 kroxigor, full command
10 skink skirmishers
20 templeguard, full command
10 camo skinks, stalker
3 terradons
2 salamanders
1 salamander

MOMUS
15-09-2011, 15:07
I adapted the list a little to this:

Slann (life) BSB, general, extra power die, loremaster
priest, lvl1, feedback scroll
priest, lvl1, cube of darkness

20 templeguard, full command
15 saurus
2X5 camo skinks
3 terradons
2 salamanders
1 salamander

Game 4

Deployment
Dark green is forest, grey is rocks and red is impassable.

Blue=Lizardmen, left to right
Terradons
2 Salamanders
30 skinks with cube priest
Temple guard with slann
30 skinks with feedback priest
15 saurus
1 salamander
Units of camo skinks scout ahead

Black=Undead, left to right
20 ghouls w/ghast, banshee
5 bloodknights w/full command
40 ghouls w/ghast, vampire lord loremaster(death) swift sword +1 combat res, wight BSB banner of strigos
Vampire loremaster (fire) Knightmare mount, +1 save against shooting

MOMUS
16-09-2011, 12:47
Pre game thoughts

This was the first game for awhile that i had played and the first match that i had taken any kind of saurus. I had changed the lore on my slann to life in the hopes that buffing my troops would be better than hexing the enemy.
I planned out my deployment the night before and thought about what my opening moves would be, i thought i would be getting first turn but as it turned out my opponent had condensed his force even more so. Our group 'organiser' had cast up some terrain so we used it as impassable for fun.

Turn1
My terradons swooped over behind the camo skinks and we rolled of for first turn. My opponent (who from now on shall be know as Will) won and marched everything forward. The ghouls left out in the cold on my far left flank turned slightly, while the bloodknights moved into the center of the field.
Magic was kind to the vampires, the mounted lord attempted to fireball the camo skinks but failed. Will then wasted no time in loading the rest of his dice into a purple sun, this could lose me the game and i had a difficult decision whether to use my cube or dispell it with all my dice. I could use my cube, certain it was gone but waste its 'end magic phase' or risk adverage rolling to dispell. I risked it and it was dispelled, phew!

On my turn i ran my camo skinks on the left past the bloodknights and the ones on the right behind the mounted lord, both units of salamanders moved up on the flanks to get a good shot. Magic gave me 7 dice, I was tempted to get throne of vines done but instead put them all into a powered up dwellers at the 40 ghoul unit. The BSB Wight was slain along with 27 ghouls. My skinks killed a bloodknight and put a wound on the mounted vampire (even with his 1+). Next my salamanders put on another subpar performance (kind of), the one on the right ate a skink so did one on the left. The last remaining sallie flamed the knights and killed 2! Yippeee! Extra food in the pens tonight!

Turn2
Will charged the sallies with the bloodknights and marched everything else forward. I fled with the salamanders taking them right up to the edge of the board. The ghouls on the far left turned to face the terradons, the banshee screamed killing 2 and making them flee off the board. Magic was a bit low so the vampire lord tried leech life on the slann but lost concentration, the mounted lord then tried flaming skull(?) on the temple guard but I dispelled it.

I rallied the salamanders, turning them about and my camo skinks ran as fast as they could to snipe at the knights bearing down on my dinos. Hopefully I could kill them and then take on the ghoul unit. My temple guard and nearby skink unit moved slightly, to get better in line with the vampire lord unit. On the right flank my lone salamander moved up ready to flame and killed.....1 ghoul. My saurus and skinks held. Magic was good, expecting a (long) charge next turn I cast throne (dispelled) and then buffed my units. Regen on the temple guard, flesh stone on the left skinks and shield of thorns on the right skinks (which was dispelled). The salamanders on the right flamed the knights, one over shot and one killed a knight. The camo skinks on the left attempted to shoot the remaining knight but failed, while the camo skinks on the right killed the mounted vampire (even with +1 against shooting!)

Turn 3
The knight charged the salamanders which held, wounding one sallie badly. The ghouls on the left turned and the banshee screamed killing all but one of the camo skinks (passed panic). Magic was low, the vampire raised some ghouls but any death magic was stopped by the slann, he dispelled throne though.

My turn three started with the temple guard and nearby skinks charging into the vampire lord unit. The salamander on the right moved right into the flank of the two ghoul units (a perfect shot), the camo skinks that had killed the vampire moved over to join their lonely brother who tried to hide on the far left ghoul unit flank. Magic was good, I cast throne and got regen on the temple guard and stone flesh on the skinks, didn’t get shield of thorns on the right side skinks. My lone salamander that is often gifted with such perfect shots let me down (again) and ate his last handler (getting frenzy and hatred). The salamanders dragged the last bloodknight to his doom, while the combat in the middle ended with a massive 15 difference combat res in my favour! Killing the entire unit, including the vampire lord! The temple guard reformed to face the two ghoul units on the right while the skinks went to hunt the distant ghouls on the right.

Turn 4
Will charged the two ghoul units on the right into my saurus and skrox unit, I hadn’t charged the turn before because I didn’t want the wood to negate my ranks. No magic to speak of (I hate VC magic) as no casters present. The ghoul unit on the left moved towards my skrox. The combat between the ghouls and the saurus was surprising, they killed a lot and I fluffed my attacks back, being outside of range of my BSB slann they ran and were cut down! The skrox held (I can’t remember who won the combat). The remaining ghouls crumbled a bit.

I moved my skrox and salamanders towards the left flank ghouls. I charged the ghouls combating the skrox and buffed them with flesh to stone. I wiped out the unit. On the left I flamed the ghouls killing a rank. The temple guard turned around (so I could buff the left flank skrox) and the skrox nearest turned to face the ghouls who had slain the saurus.

Turn 5
The ghouls on the right turned to face the incoming skrox as did the ghouls on the left. Banshee screams killed a few and a few ghouls crumbled.

I charged with both skrox units, my magic dice were loaded into the skrox verses the left ghouls (being slightly more numerous) they got flesh to stone. The frenzied salamander on the right also charged the ghouls. Both skrox units killed all the ghouls leaving the field mine.

My fourth game and it ends in a massacre win to me.

Post game thoughts
I thnk things went just right for me in this game, the only thing i regret was taking the saurus or putting them on the outside flank. If i had swapped them for the nearest skink unit i would have been able to buff them with magic. Although i could have taken another unit of skinks instead and maybe have won/drawn the combat?

Jack of Blades
16-09-2011, 20:41
When you do team games, do you give every player 2D6/3D6 Winds of Magic dice? or is it that dice per side?

MOMUS
17-09-2011, 04:58
When you do team games, do you give every player 2D6/3D6 Winds of Magic dice? or is it that dice per side?

3D6 per side. I cant remember if we play the two highest or the highest and lowest results equal the opponents dispell pool.

Im hoping to get another team game in soon, but this time it will be a siege.

MOMUS
02-10-2011, 06:52
Game 5
Battle for the pass

Deployment
Lizardmen (blue) top to bottom

2 salamanders
30 skink cohort 2krox, FC, priest w/feedback scroll
16 temple guard, FC, Slann (life) loremaster, extra die, cupped hands
30 skink cohort 2 krox, FC, priest w/cube of darkness
1 salamander
15 saurus
3 terradons (infront of main lines)
2X5 chameleon skinks scout behind undead

Undead (black) top to bottom

40 ghouls, ghast, wight w/ sword of kings, gem of blood
20 grave guard, FC, vampire lord (beasts) w/dark acolyte, book of arhkan...
40 ghouls, ghast, wight BSB banner of strigos
20 ghouls, ghast, wight, Konrad

MOMUS
09-10-2011, 05:55
Pre game
Another game against my regular opponent (Will). This was the battle for the pass but on a board only three feet wide, so more like battle for the causeway. I would really have to think about deployment, as there would be no manuvering. It would also be almost impossible to ‘drag’ his units out of vampire range.
I scouted my chameleon skinks behind his mainline, their job was to shoot and hope he failed a march block test (unlikely).
The terradons vanguarded to the right (my right).
All the ghouls units surged forward as far as possible thanks to the accursed ghoul kin, I had actually deployed about 8” back to counteract this.

Turn 1
With luck on my side, I got first turn. For movement I didn’t move the terradons as I could quite get over the konrad unit. Both salamander groups moved forward ready to spew flame.
The winds of magic were a bit timid (they were like this for me for the rest of the game), I loaded all but one die into dwellers aimed at right side horde of ghouls. I got IF and killed exactly half (including the ghast); using the bounce from cupped hands I put a miscast on his vampire lord. He rolled the large blast and his GG unit was practically wiped off the board, to make matters worse his vampire was sucked into the void.
Hmm. I asked my opponent if he wanted to re-roll or just ignore the result as it felt a bit crap for a first turn victory. He was very sporting and agreed to play on.
With shooting from the chameleon skinks I reduced the GG to one model. I cast throne of vines with my remaining magic dice successfully.

My opponent moved all his units forward, he tried to charge the terradons with the konrad unit but failed. The winds had almost vanished for the undead, getting double one, Will tried to dispel throne but failed.

Turn 2
The terradons sailed over the konrad unit dropping rocks, killing a few. Both chameleon skink units and salamander units moved in for better shots. Magic gave me a few dice but I lost concentration with the slann, so ended up pushing all my dice into a curse of midnight wind (?) from one of my skink priests. Shooting made up this, I killed a few ghouls with the blowpipes and then blasted a ton more with my salamanders. :evilgrin:

Will moved up all his units and dispelled throne easily….oh and he crumbled a bit.

Turn 3
Turn three started with my terradons, chameleon skinks and salamanders all getting into better positions for shots. For the salamanders this meant they would be charged next turn but I didn’t mind.
Magic was again pretty tame, Igot shield of thorns and ‘attack of the wood’ (can’t remember name). I put shield on the skrox on my left and wood attack on the left ghoul horde killing about 4. Shooting from the skinks and terradons killed some of the ghoul units on my right, while the lone sallie* ate a skink the pair on the other side of the table doused the ghoul horde in flame killing A LOT.

The undead charged both sallies and I elected to flee, both groups of lizards got away.
The undead line was now right ontop of me, magic was spent trying to dispell shield. Commence crumbling.

Turn 4
Here I was left with a difficult choice on whether to charge or be charged. The sallies both continued to run.
In the end I decided to charge with all my units, the saurus were practically doomed against konrad so I charged the terradons in the rear, hoping to eek out a draw. The right cohort charged the ghoul horde opposite them as did the left cohort. I tried to charge the temple guard but failed.
For magic I set off throne and augmented the left cohort with shield, then gave flesh to stone to the right cohort and regen on the temple guard.
The combat on the left was quickly won by the skinks (thanks to the shield of thorns), on the right the cohort did well but managed to get badly hurt, even with T6!
On the far right konrad ripped through the saurus, his kill tally was at least 7. Unsurprisingly the terradons and saurus fled, the latter being cut down as the undead gave chase.
In Wills turn konrad and his unit reformed to face the rear of my units.

Turn 5
The skink cohort on the left moved towards the center of the board, the temple guard reformed to face konrads unit and the sallies continued to run :(
The chameleon skinks followed konrads unit shooting down some ghouls.
Magic was poor, I think I got dwellers on konrads unit killing the wight king and some ghouls.
The cohort still locked in combat destroyed what was left of the ghoul horde and reformed to face the konrad unit.

Konrad and his cronies tried to charge the skink cohort that had just won against the ghoul horde, but konrad became stupid. Stumbling forward 5”, they didn’t crumble.
With his magic Will got rid of my flesh to stone and throne.

Turn 6
I moved all units to surround konrad, both cohorts, temple guard and the chameleons.
I then used magic to get throne, augment the nearest cohort and blast the undead but dwellers was dispelled.
I then shot with everything I had killing all the ghouls and turning konrad into a pincushion.

Victory to the lizardmen!

MOMUS
09-10-2011, 06:16
Post game thoughts

The game went well, but it felt a bit of a hollow victory killing his vampire lord in the first turn.
I did miss a trick with the mission special rules, i could have used my terradons (as a redirect) to make konrad and his unit charge into the side of the board. My terradons would have come back next turn and his unit would have wasted a turn reforming. This may have allowed me a turn to blast them with magic or flank charge them with the saurus.

My opponent is thinking about getting more competitive so i suggested daemons, there are a couple of orc and goblin players in the area so hopefully i can get a game in with one of them.

MOMUS
01-12-2011, 10:11
Hmmmm havent been here for awhile, i got sucked into playing bloodbowl which wasnt really my thing and then had alot of work on.
Recently got back into wfb when i heard about a tourney in my local area. Its 3000pts, no SC and your list must be in by feb. You can follow my painting in the 'tale of fantasy..' thread (if you like looking at ALOT of skinks), here is where im going to get some practice games in.

Game 6
My list has expanded quite a bit, my vampire opponent also heard about the tournament and has entered with...ogres.
We have a bit of a friendly rivalry going so we arranged a practice game, no quarter given :evilgrin:

Deployment is as shown, left to right:

Ogres
1, 3 sabretusks (all seperate)
2, ironblaster
3, 3 leadbelchers
4, 6 bulls w/ slaughtermaster and BSB
5, 3 leadbelchers
6, 7 bulls w/ FC, tyrant
7, 8 ironguts w/champ, firebelly
8, 3 leadbelchers
9, ironblaster
10, 2 sabretusks (seperate)
11, 6 maneaters, w/scout, champ, H.armour

Lizards:
1, 5 camo skinks
2, 10 skink skirmishers
3, sallie
4, 2 sallies
5, 10 skink cohorts
6, sallie
7, 30 cohorts, FC, 2 krox
8, steg, EotG, priest, D.scrolll
9, jungle swarm
10, terradons
11, 30 temple guard, flame banner, champ, speed potion, slann, loremaster, +1die, BSB, banehaed
12, 30 cohorts, FC, 2 krox, priest cube of darkness (EDIT: right of these is a skirmisher skink unit)
13, 5 camo skinks
14, 10 camo skinks

Post game thoughts
Deployment took along time :(
But it was also very tactical, trying to get match-ups. I was so busy thinking about where i could put my camo skinks i forgot about his maneaters. I think i managed to successsfully 'refuse flank' my opponent but he countered this with the placement of the scouting ogres right in my 'nothing' flank. Damn.
I was also very shocked to see MSU ogres, i thought i would be playing a few large blocks of bulls with ironblasters/stonehorns to support. I had totally forgot about the thrice cursed sabretusks and he had taken five!
I will post the report up later.

Feel free to speculate on the outcome.

Lebowski
02-12-2011, 00:30
LM are pretty gross. Even in the hands of a beginner they can be terrifying.
I feel bad for the VC player you play with. Get a 2nd crummier army so he can feel better about himself.

MOMUS
04-12-2011, 06:55
LM are pretty gross. Even in the hands of a beginner they can be terrifying.
I feel bad for the VC player you play with. Get a 2nd crummier army so he can feel better about himself.

Everyone tells me skink cohorts are crummy. :D

Turn 1
Will got first turn and wasted no time in charging my ten man camo skink unit of the far right with two sabretusks, i stood and shot killing one. I was confident that they would be able to kill the other with poison hand attacks, sadly i only wounded it once and it killed 3. They held.
All wills unit moved forward, his ironblaster on the left destroyed the lone sallie and his sabretusks on that flank swept forward at an alarming rate (forgot they had swiftstride). The maneaters tried a charge but failed. Orge magic was strong, will loaded half of his 11 dice into...something nasty, getting a very high casting. Having very few dice i used my cube of darkness, hoping it would end his magic phase. Sadly it didnt meaning he could boost a spell giving half his army regen. Also he did something with his SM meaning on double one on 2D6 it would get eaten, it never did though!:mad:
In my turn i moved my skinks on the left around his maneaters, the camo skinks shot at the ogres while the skirmishers blasted a sabretusk. Both the other beast fled, one going off the table.
The camo skinks in the middle of the board moved in between the firebelly and tyrants units, shooting killed one ogre.
My combat blocks inched forward and my sallies moved up to flame, they got a few ogres and cancelled the regen on two units. My lone terradon swooped over the nearby LB and killed one while the skirmishers (i left off the map) moved forward and lent their fire, killing another. For my magic i attempted to get a IF on dwellers aimed at his firebelly unit, i didnt get IF and he let it through. It killed two (?!)...ok. I then tried throne and got IF, i used cupped hands (should have rolled result and then passed it on) passed it to the SM who was baneheaded. This caused wounds on those in base contact killing one ogre. Lame. In combat i failed to kill the ST on the right and my camo skinks fled off the table.

Turn 2
Will moved forward destroying his left IB in terrain, his left ST also continued to flee off the board. The maneaters moved up ready to charge.
Most of the army moved up with the units of LB holding back slightly, magic and shooting wasnt too effective. The SM gave regen to his unit and he attempted a panic spell on my sallies but they passed. The firebelly got fire cage off on my templeguard and i let it go through. I then dispelled the rest of the magic. The lone LB failed to kill the terradon.
My skink cohorts on the right moved up and shot at the lone ST killing it, the terradon then slew the last LB and the skirmishers wounded the IB, camo skinks on both sides of the board killed a ogre each. My jungle swarm moved up to redirect the tyrant unit. Sallies flamed more ogres, but still no panic tests failed. My slann attempted dwellers agin but it only killed an ogre out of the firebelly unit.

Turn 3
Will charged with the maneaters and SM/BSB unit, i held against the SM but fled from the maneaters. Although this meant a couple of panic tests (which i passed) the maneater unit was now stuck behind the SM unit, if the sallies could hold for one turn it would give me another round of shooting- they didnt hold and they overan into the small skink unit. The tyrant unit charged the jungle swarm, killing it.
The firebelly unit tried to charge the skinks but didnt make it. He used his breath weapon on them and killed a few and also burning headed them wounding a krox.
Magic was not too eventful this turn.
The steg charged the SM/BSB unit to help the poor ten skink unit.
I moved up with temple guard and cohort on the right, while the left cohort and steg angled towards the SM and maneaters. The terradon went behind the tyrnat to stop them marching (hopefully)
My slann lost his concentration so i hexed the tyrant unit and augmented the skinks (reroll 1's). I then shot everything i had (including steg engine) at the maneaters reducing them to three. The SM and BSB unit was mangled by the steg and skinks and fled i chased and killed them with the skinks. :evilgrin:
Will was not a happy bunny.

Turn 4
The firebelly unit and IB both charged the templeguard, while the maneaters finally got into combat with the left flank cohort.
The tyrant unit reformed to face the templeguard moving through the difficult terrain.
Magic was a non event.
In combat the maneaters were pincushioned by javelins before they could even swing, leaving just a rank of ogres to fight on.
The firebelly unit was mauled and the IB was left with one wound, fleeing from the fight.
In my turn i charged the distant unit of LB wth the steg, i also sneakily charged the IB with my last terradon it ran again right into the face of the tyrant unit.
In the magic phase i got throne up and buffed my temple guard with 4+regen, regrew 5 (including the champ) and augmented both skink hordes with stone flesh and shield of thorns.
The maneater unit was reduced to a single wounded ogre, who held(?!) and the firebelly unit was wiped, feeling kind i put the IB out of its misery. Meaning the tyrant unit would have a chance to charge something and not suffer (another) round of shooting/magic.
With just about everything else cleaned off the board Will conceeded, victory to the wee skinks!!

One day i will remember to take more pictures.:o

MOMUS
19-01-2012, 09:51
Game 8*
So another warm up game getting ready for a tourney i will be entering soon. *I have actually missed out a game i played a few weeks ago but it was fairly straightforward, skink cohorts running down ogre SM and BSB...that kind of thing ;)
List pretty much the same @3000pts:

30 temple guard, flame banner, champ, speed potion, slann, loremaster, +1die, BSB, banehead, cogitation
30 cohorts, FC, 2 krox, priest cube of darkness
30 cohorts, FC, 2 krox,
Engine of the gods, skink with D.scroll
10 skirmishers
10 skirmishers
swarm
10 cohorts
2 sallies
2 sallies
1 sallie
10 camo skinks
5 camo skinks
5 camo skinks
3 tearradons

My opponent took:
Bruiser general
Bruiser, hitty stick
SM. with D.scroll
Firebelly
BSB
~15 ironguts
10 bulls
4 leadbelchers
4 leadbelchers
4 leadbelchers
4 leadbelchers
Stonehorn
ironblaster
ironblaster
5 sabretusks (all seperate)

Post up pictures and report laterz.

MOMUS
21-01-2012, 06:49
Deployment

Deployment was very long winded as even though my opponent (will) was playing ogres had had more drops than me!
Will nearly always deploys with an ironblaster on each far flank along with his five sabretusks, this drags out his deployment but also allowed me to refuse flank him. It’s not as bad for him as it sounds as the ironblaster has a cannon so an still affect the game and the sabretusks have fast movement so can get back in the game quickly.
Our main blocks ended up on the left side of the table while a stonehorn held the ogre center, deployment had left 2 sabretusks and an ironblaster stranded on the far right side of the table.
When it came to placing my chameleon skinks i had to gamble, i put the large unit in front of the stonehorn, a small unit infront of his left flank ironblaster and the other small unit in front of his ironguts/leadbelchers in the small ‘forest’ of rocks. I was exposing them but if I got first turn I could snipe lots.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/samakabill/batrep/S7002724.jpg -same pic as first turn but will give you an idea where everything is.

Turn 1
With a curse from Will i got first turn and....stood still. My main blocks jeered at the incoming ogres while my skirmisher moved to attack. The terradons swooped over the belchers next to the stonehorn crushing the ogres under rocks making them panic off the board, the large chameleon skink unit stalked out of the stonehorns front arc and the sallies moved up to shoot.
On my right flank I hung the unit of skirmisher back to guard against the sabretusks.
Magic was kind this turn and gave me nine dice, I used five on chain lightning aimed at the ironblaster. This spell could potentially hit every unit in the tightly packed ogre army unfortunately it did one wound and then didn’t jump. Using the remaining dice I powered up dwellers and hit the generals unit, killing three ogres and the general himself! Shooting took the ironblaster and stonehorn down to half wounds, I directed the salamners flame towars the SM and his irongut guards. Causing one wound Will rolled the dice for a panic check scoring an eleven, with the BSB reroll he passed, just.
With an evil chuckle I ended my turn.
Will charged a small camo skink unit with his ironblaster and sabretusk, the camo skinks hiding in the rocks were charged by the leadbelchers and the bull attempted to charge the skirmishers next to the rocks but failed. He then swung the units on the right round to start the long march to the action.
In wills magic phase he got a lot of dice, I used my cube to end it just to be annoying.
Shooting wasn’t a massive deal, the belchers shot at the salamanders and the distant ironblaster tried a pot shot at something. The stone horn dropped a rock on the nearest skrox unit hitting a kroxigor.
In combat the skirmishers wiped the ironblaster (stand and shoot + I4 poison) but where chased down by the sabre, the belchers that charged the camo skinks in the rocks lost the combat but held (stand and shoot).

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/samakabill/batrep/S7002724.jpg

Turn 2
Both units of salamanders moved towards the belchers shielding the ironguts, the skirmishers on the left moved in front of the bulls at an angle (hopefully make them run off the board) and the terradons and large chameleon skink unit stalked the stonehorn.
I think I got double one for this magic so nothing happened.
Shooting made up for it, I destroyed the stonehorn and through the belcher at the ironguts with the sallies. No panic. The sabretusk that had overrun was pincushioned by the left skink cohort.
Will charged the skirmishers with his bulls, the single salamander with a sabretusk while one of the tusks on the far right charged and died to shooting from the skirmisher hidden in the rocks.
The bulls suffered a lot of poison but won the combat and reformed, I held with the salamander thinking it could kill the tusk but it ended up a draw. The chameleon skinks managed to cling on for one more round taking another ogre down with poison.

Turn 3
I moved both sallies to get shots on the ironguts, while my terradons and large camo skink unit continued to stalk behind the ogre lines.
Magic was pretty dull again I think I got a magic missile off but not much.
Shooting picked off some more bulls, I was now happy my cohort could deal with them. The last lone sabre tusk on the far right was shot by the waiting skinks.
In combat the chameleon skinks died and the salamander and sabre both fluffed their attacks.
Will charged the nearest sallies with his belchers and failed a march block on his bulls, hehe.
Magic gave Will regen and the +1T spell.
Sooting saw a cannonball soar over the heads of the skinks and land on the stegadons head, bye bye steg.:mad:
The sallies were wiped by the leadbelchers and this made the other unit of salamander panic. The salamander VS sabre tusk ended in a draw (both with one wound).

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/samakabill/batrep/S7002725.jpg

Turn 4This was a turning point in the game and im not sure if we had played it right.
I wanted to charge sabretusk with my temple guard, kill it then overrun into the leadbelchers kill them and overrun into the ironguts. So they didn’t get the charge.
I thought I could fight two combats (one charge one overrun) but my opponent said I could fight as many as I wanted as long as the unit overran into was already in combat. We played it his way but I wasn’t sure.
So I charged the swarm into the ironguts, the temple guard into the sabretusk and tried to get the terradons into the leadbelchers, but the terradons failed. The righthand skrox charged the leadbelchers that had killed the sallies and the other sallies rallied. The lefthand skrox unit marched up towards the bulls –mistake I should have walked and shot but the failed march block they took last turn made me a bit overconfident.
Magic was pretty lame, I got throne up and shield of thorns on the right skrox unit. I think will used his hellheart this turn luckily it only caught the priest and not the slann, he blew up and sucked dice out of my pool.
I slew the sabre and overran into the belchers.
In wills turn he charged the temple guard and left hand skox.
Magic got up +1T and he tried something else but lost concentration.
Combat was bloody; I managed to wipe out the leadbelchers and reform to face the ironguts flank. Then the skinks on the left did some damage but I had forgot about the fire bellies breath weapon which he used in combat and killed about ten skinks, ouch.
Then it came to the main event, I lost the combat but the temple guard held. The skinks on the left ran and just managed to escape.

Turn 5
I charge the flank of the ironguts and moved everything else around the main combat, hoping to get a win I moved the terradons and camo skinks so that if the ogres ran they would be bumped off the table. –im mean.
The left side skrox rallied.
In my magic I managed to get flesh to stone on the temple guard and shield of thorns on the right skrox again, I was hoping to regrow some temple guard but I rolled low again for winds of magic.
In combat the ogres bounced off the saurus and I killed a few ogres. I won the combat but the ogres held. Seeing everything else dead Will conceded.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/samakabill/batrep/S7002726.jpg

MOMUS
21-01-2012, 12:20
Post game thoughts

A victory for the lizards, magic really let me down this game. I actually forgot i gave my slann becalming cogitation so didnt use it all game and i didnt get one IF all game so couldnt use the banehead/cuppedhands combo.
I was recently considering dropping one of the smaller units of chameleon skinks but they really worked well this game, i need to hand in my list soon to enter a tourney and im not sure whether becalming is worth it over ethereal -to dodge cannon balls.