PDA

View Full Version : WoC Throgg Army Viable?

GreySeerZ
12-07-2011, 18:30
So I've been having lots of success with my current WoC army which consists of warriors, knights and hell-cannons. Currently I love that I can add/remove certain external units while keeping my core the same and still do respectively well on the battlefield vs. competitive opponents. I recently played a game with a unit of trolls and had a lot of success with them. It got me thinking about doing a Throgg monster mash list. Having never seen one of these lists, and dreading the amount of money I'd need to spend to build it, what would a competitive Throgg list look like. I want to try to keep everything non-character related as monstrous. As for characters, I would convert them to be trollish in some way/shape/form (imagine a troll surfing a disc of tzeentch, oh yea :cool:).

Anyway, the list could include:

Ogres,
Dragon Ogres,
Trolls,
Shaggoth,
Throgg,
Gaulrach,
Hellcannons(imagine projectile vomiting ogres),
Chaos Sorcerers(trolls on discs),
Chaos Lords(trolls on discs/juggers),
Giants,
Troll riding dragons,
Manticore(I got a Chaos Dwarf Lamasu model, would be awesome for like a caster monster),
Warshrine(though I'm not really sure what it'd be buffing, unless I modeled some troll cavalry)

Anyway, that is just to start. Then once my friends get into Storm of Chaos I will have additional biggies to throw into the list. I would like to make something that is diverse and yet as competitive as possible (I don't want to make a list of just Throgg + trolls, unless it is the only competitive way to run it). I also have no problem with ditching troll in favor of another competitve monster build. Anyway, what do you guys think?

warpsucker
12-07-2011, 20:23
a troll list with throgg is definately viable. But in regular games you probably shouldn't take the following:
Shaggoth
Gaulrauch
Giants.
that's because these get killed way too easily. (except gaulrauch, he's just too many points.)

inq.serge
12-07-2011, 20:51
I have a list, but haven't tried it yet:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309434

And yes, I do have 17 trolls + Throgg (18 + throgg acually). http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/AlfredoPistoleto/DSCN0063.jpg

GreySeerZ
12-07-2011, 21:05
a troll list with throgg is definately viable. But in regular games you probably shouldn't take the following:
Shaggoth
Gaulrauch
Giants.
that's because these get killed way too easily. (except gaulrauch, he's just too many points.)

Yea, I've heard the shaggoth is pretty meh. Gaulrauch is expensive, but we play pretty big battles (3, 3.5k) and he would fit in nicely and really boost the magic phase (without some crazy caster conversion). Also, I understand why the giant would be a juicy target, but do you still think he would be targetted when there are so many more monsters heading up the field? I've heard that MoS giants are ok, and running 2 would reduce the chance of there being none in the end.

I have a list, but haven't tried it yet:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309434

And yes, I do have 17 trolls + Throgg (18 + throgg acually). http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/AlfredoPistoleto/DSCN0063.jpg

Awesome arrangement of minis, but sadly I'm not trying to build a deathstar unit :(. I mean I know its still a deathstar-ish army. I just don't want to put all my eggs in one basket, due to spells like purple sun, and i don't want my one basket to be made of just trolls, I would like to include a mix of monsters. Any suggestions on what other monsters might be good?

snottlebocket
13-07-2011, 08:25
It should do pretty well, Throgg is the perfect leader for a unit of trolls. Tooled up Khornate ogres are pretty good too.

WoodElfGeneral
13-07-2011, 16:22
there is a guy at my club who uses a list with a big horde of trolls and throgg i think. He does ok with it. I think magic hurts him. And of course flames.

drear
13-07-2011, 16:41
you might find that using so many units of monsterous infantry/monsters, giants will be a good distraction.

look to ogre kingdoms lists for advice on this sort of list imo.
in the normal ogre kingdoms army 2 giants on one flank make great warmachine hunters and then flankers.
your opponent has to choose 1 giant to kill, or have the prospect of just wounding two and having both of them hitting their flank.

GreySeerZ
13-07-2011, 18:56
Hmmm, I guess I'll throw a list together and post it tonight. Obviously it will need to be play-tested to make sure its viable. I just thought that maybe someone had run one competitively before and someone could point me towards a list or suggestions.

I guess I will take 2/3 units of trolls, some Khorne ogres, and 2 giants for starters, maybe throw in some hellcannons if I can fit them.

snottlebocket
14-07-2011, 12:12
Hmmm, I guess I'll throw a list together and post it tonight. Obviously it will need to be play-tested to make sure its viable. I just thought that maybe someone had run one competitively before and someone could point me towards a list or suggestions.

I guess I will take 2/3 units of trolls, some Khorne ogres, and 2 giants for starters, maybe throw in some hellcannons if I can fit them.

Don't go overboard on the trolls. Each of the monstrous units have their own forte. Trolls just regenerate but khornate ogres can bring a boatload of high strength attacks and dragon ogres are surprisingly durable thanks to that fourth wound.

Make the most out of those differences and don't forget the humble hound.

GreySeerZ
14-07-2011, 14:18
Don't go overboard on the trolls. Each of the monstrous units have their own forte. Trolls just regenerate but khornate ogres can bring a boatload of high strength attacks and dragon ogres are surprisingly durable thanks to that fourth wound.

Make the most out of those differences and don't forget the humble hound.

Yea, I was thinking maybe only 1/2 units of trolls, definitely Khornate Ogres, dragon ogres, and maybe, MAYBE, 2 Slaanesh giants. Hounds are also essential for redirects and such, probably 4/5 units of 5. All of this supported with a disc sorcerer lord, and maybe a bsb on juggernaut (for 1+ save and armor which lets him ignore multi-wounds, about as anti-LoS as I can get him). I wish I had army builder on my work computer, so I could mash things together now...DAMN WORK!!!

snottlebocket
14-07-2011, 14:56
Yea, I was thinking maybe only 1/2 units of trolls, definitely Khornate Ogres, dragon ogres, and maybe, MAYBE, 2 Slaanesh giants. Hounds are also essential for redirects and such, probably 4/5 units of 5. All of this supported with a disc sorcerer lord, and maybe a bsb on juggernaut (for 1+ save and armor which lets him ignore multi-wounds, about as anti-LoS as I can get him). I wish I had army builder on my work computer, so I could mash things together now...DAMN WORK!!!

Don't you have some TPS reports to make?