PDA

View Full Version : SoM Tournaments

minionboy
12-07-2011, 21:42
I've read the rules and I have to say that I'm really satisfied with it overall, though generally I can't stand anything that He Who Shall Not Be Named writes. And since the game is friendly to realistic point limits, it could actually be played in the same amount of time as any other game (unlike Apoc).

So the question has to be asked, would you play in a SoM Tournament?

Gooner
12-07-2011, 21:45
SoM seem to random to play in turnis. It sounds fun as a change but I can't see people doing turnis with it.

Gaargod
12-07-2011, 21:47
No.

Specifically, I would not play with a SoM tournament that uses any of their funky magic rules. The extra monsters? Yeah sure, go for it.

Morkash
12-07-2011, 21:56
A tournament aka 10-40 freaks playing over a whole weekend with magic, monsters and madness? Yes sure! A tournament aka WAAC? No, never, not even for a free liver.

unheilig
12-07-2011, 22:30
Not only would I participate, I would travel much further for such an event.

Haravikk
12-07-2011, 22:40
Too random for a tournament as said, and too much extra avenue for exploits, particularly in lists that can use monsters to shore up normal army weaknesses. Though that is potentially a good thing for Dwarfs with all the magic hurled their way, but abusable in many other cases.

pkain762
13-07-2011, 04:42
The great equalizer...... enough said..... a lizardman player makes a list that consists of 1 Unit of temple guard, and one character (the slann) he uses power scroll to cast the great equalizer........

game over.... you have to get rid of all of your characters and reduce your army to one unit!....... dumb

some of these spells are so rediculous i want to ............... (fill in the blank)

I am glad somebody likes this expansion... but i think it is just waaaaaaaaaaaaay out there

unheilig
13-07-2011, 05:34
The great equalizer...... enough said..... a lizardman player makes a list that consists of 1 Unit of temple guard, and one character (the slann) he uses power scroll to cast the great equalizer........

game over.... you have to get rid of all of your characters and reduce your army to one unit!....... dumb

some of these spells are so rediculous i want to ............... (fill in the blank)

I am glad somebody likes this expansion... but i think it is just waaaaaaaaaaaaay out there

Perhaps you would enjoy SoM more if you had a better grasp of the basic rules. If you did, you would understand why the scenario you describe above is impossible.

Rogzor87
13-07-2011, 05:35

For that spell you. First you need 3 units for a legal army, 2nd you can't cast the new spells with irresistable force, 3rd, you need Dominance which means you have to have more fulcroms then your opponent. Just 1 slann won't be able to do it.

I would play in a tournament however.... I am not a huge magic fan... but I like the Pacts rule, and the new monsters.

Jind_Singh
13-07-2011, 07:20
Why not - I voted yes. See the thing is - if you like WAAC style tournaments there is Ard Boyz type events. If you like to roll dice and have fun there will be events that cater to SOM kind of scenarios.

If you prefer the 1st type attend those, if you like the other - attend that - and the really lucky ones with open minds/attitudes attend BOTH and have double the fun!

I can't see any problems with the inclusion of SOM in tournaments - BUT the tournament organizer better know the crowd he's pitching it 2 - as if I was a regular attendee of an Ard Boyz type event were it's all serious and to the point, and then the next event the organizer brought out something that went against what the regulars came for...well that's injustice!

But having just built/primed my Cockatrice today I for one am itching to use the new SOM!

Sexiest_hero
13-07-2011, 08:25
pkain762, It's people like you that give warseer such a bad name. As had been said, you don't have a grasp of the basic rules yet, let along SoM. But for you sake Let me tell you why it would be a bad Idea. You sacrifice your slann I go down to one unit, My lvl 4. I win as you can hope to claim a fulcrum. I summon other units and rain death. Next game You take two slann you sac one and go down to 2 units. I keep a wizard alive and use, say the von carstine ring to get my other vampire lord back in my unit of grave guard. Next turn I Cast a spell giving me a unit of...grave guard with a wight king. Next turn I summon 300 points of angry orks. Your slann can't even claim a fulcrum in his temple guard.

There are like 6 SoM threads that give a good Idea of how SoM works. The BrB tells you how many units you are forced to take.

m1acca1551
13-07-2011, 08:35
Personally no... based on previous tournies have left a sour taste in my mouth... if it was just for casual gamers, no mass cheese just roll dice and have a great laugh i would defiantly make the attempt :)

minionboy
13-07-2011, 14:34
damn near a 50/50 split so far!

I'm glad that you guys straightened out pkain762 so I didn't have to, lol. I definitely think the no IF's for cataclysm spells is beyond fair, and it means that Teclis is no better at casting spells than any other L4, other than some miscast protection, Power Scroll and Book of Hoeth become much less important as well.

Goldenwolf
13-07-2011, 15:16
I would play at least one to see how it went. I am in this game for the fun of it, so let's see what happens.

IcedCrow
13-07-2011, 15:32
I voted no. Not because I think it's a bad idea, but I think there would be a lot of man-tantrums being thrown when the randomness of the scenarios came into play. I think that you approach SoM to have fun, not win trophies. Winning trophies is serious business ;) and taking SoM seriously I think goes counter to what its design intentions are.

But if you have fun that's all that matters.

qwertycg
13-07-2011, 22:59
I would play in one just to see how it works out. But there would need to be limits on things. But all in all I have only found a few things that would break a game. Mainly changing around the battlefield and what not.

Also for the so called lizardman I win spell. You would need at least 3 units. That Mage priest can't have temple guard. You need at least 2 skink priests. And even then there is a ton of counters. For starters Mage war a priest off a fulcrum. Play dark elf and turn of that fulcrum a Mage priest is on. High elf make more fulcrums.