PDA

View Full Version : New SOM spells

Judochop
13-07-2011, 06:43
So I was reading the rules and wanted to confirm something to make sure I was understanding it right.
1)You donít have to be on a fulcrum to cast the new cataclysmic spells? You just have to control one?
2) In Som all wizards know the cataclysmic spells from their lores? Including cantrips and seven sigils. So If I had 10 goblin shamans and dominance I could potentially cast the new spell Nikkit with each of the 10 goblins?

Mr_Rose
13-07-2011, 07:33
Potentially, yes. But you're going to have a hard time casting 10 15+ spells with only a maximum of 24 dice in the pool and no way to cast irresistibly using only two dice at a time...

Judochop
13-07-2011, 08:06
Yes.. possibly it was just an example. Im just not used to 2 or mages knowing the same spells. For example, i cant have foot of gork twice. Thanks for reply.

Mr_Rose
13-07-2011, 08:10
You totally can. Just put every shaman next to a Wizard's Tower or whatever. Instant Loremaster for everyone! Other armies have more ways of doing this but yeah there's no reason you can't cast the same spell twice if you have two wizards that know it.
There are rules that make it difficult to get a spell twice but no rules that make it impossible nor any rules that restrict casting to one copy of a given spell/turn - it's one copy/wizard/turn.

Spiney Norman
13-07-2011, 09:42
So I was reading the rules and wanted to confirm something to make sure I was understanding it right.
1)You don’t have to be on a fulcrum to cast the new cataclysmic spells? You just have to control one?

Unless you're a dwarf runesmith, ancestor runes can only be cast when you're on a fulcrum.

2) In Som all wizards know the cataclysmic spells from their lores? Including cantrips and seven sigils. So If I had 10 goblin shamans and dominance I could potentially cast the new spell Nikkit with each of the 10 goblins?

Yes, and contrary to Mr Rose negativism it would be possible for you to cast nikkit nikkit up to 12 times in one phase, assuming you used Night Goblin shamen, had maximum power and got very good dice rolls (by which I mean all your casting dice rolls came up 5 or 6) ;) I'm not about to calculate the odds of that actually happening though.

You totally can. Just put every shaman next to a Wizard's Tower or whatever. Instant Loremaster for everyone! Other armies have more ways of doing this but yeah there's no reason you can't cast the same spell twice if you have two wizards that know it.
There are rules that make it difficult to get a spell twice but no rules that make it impossible nor any rules that restrict casting to one copy of a given spell/turn - it's one copy/wizard/turn.

I thought only one wizard could ransack a tower at once, something to do with wizardly ego, perhaps I am misremebering. Thats not to say you can't have multiple casters with the lore master rule and the same lore by a different means.

Mr_Rose
13-07-2011, 10:19
The trade-off for only being able to empower ancestor runes on a fulcrum is that you only count as a wizard for the effects of miscasts if your rune-dude is on a fulcrum; any others in the army that happen to be on the ground at the time won't get turned into frogs, for instance.