PDA

View Full Version : SoM and Temple Guard/Slann

unheilig
13-07-2011, 06:05
Taken from warhammer.org.uk...

"In this months WD theres a picture of a Lizardman army with Templeguard on one side of the battlefield and a Slann on a fulcrum on the other side.

Not read SoM cover to cover yet but has anyone found anything that lets you override the Guardians Special rule? (obvious the pic in WD is no real indication of anything)

If not looks like the Temple Guard will be staying at home in SoM games (except maybe if I take double Slann)"

So what's up with that? No temple guard in SoM without a slann in them? Seems a big drawback to lizardmen in SoM.

Lord Zarkov
13-07-2011, 07:04
There is nothing in SoM to overrule the Guardian's rule.

Spiney Norman
13-07-2011, 08:47
Taken from warhammer.org.uk...

"In this months WD theres a picture of a Lizardman army with Templeguard on one side of the battlefield and a Slann on a fulcrum on the other side.

Not read SoM cover to cover yet but has anyone found anything that lets you override the Guardians Special rule? (obvious the pic in WD is no real indication of anything)

If not looks like the Temple Guard will be staying at home in SoM games (except maybe if I take double Slann)"

So what's up with that? No temple guard in SoM without a slann in them? Seems a big drawback to lizardmen in SoM.

The rule is called "sacred duty" and no, it is not overidden by anything in SoM

Why would you not want to take 2 slann in a SoM battle???
One with higher state of mind to hold a fulcrum, and one with becalming/rumination to sit in a TG block and cast cat spells and screw over enemy wizards.

Faeslayer
13-07-2011, 14:19
I agree... even story-wise, SoM seems like just the kind of battles two Slann would show up for.

Lord Zarkov
13-07-2011, 14:21
Any you want to have a spare for when you use The Great Leveler...

The bearded one
13-07-2011, 14:44

Funny that fluffwise that spell suits lizardmen pretty much the least of all wizards. "We're a race of great wizards that are dying out and who's numbers are never replenished, let's sacrifice ourselves for a spell in a random battle!" :p

Spiney Norman
13-07-2011, 14:55
Funny that fluffwise that spell suits lizardmen pretty much the least of all wizards. "We're a race of great wizards that are dying out and who's numbers are never replenished, let's sacrifice ourselves for a spell in a random battle!" :p

Someone hasn't read the fluff in the LM book, this spell has been part of their backround since they've been an army.

drear
13-07-2011, 15:27
lord kroak..kroaks ( :D) and the deamons all around him explode, like the popping of a thousand tiny ugly spots

T10
13-07-2011, 15:28

So you are saying that somehow the death of the Slann in the battle counts, but the battle itself doesn't?

-T10

The bearded one
13-07-2011, 16:37
Someone hasn't read the fluff in the LM book, this spell has been part of their backround since they've been an army.

If you are referring to Lord Kroak, at least in the current armybook he didn't sacrifice himself in order to cast the spell (as in; sacrificing himself was a prerequisite of casting it), he was casting some great spell, was ripped to shreds by bloodthirsters, but refused to die so completed the spell anyway. I don't completely recall the details of the 6th edition armybook but I believe it was pretty similar.

The great leveller does this: * Slann kills himself * --> * enemy units start dying *

Kroak certainly appeared to be casting a similar spell, tearing the battlefield asunder like the great leveller does, but sacrificing himself to cast it certainly wasn't a condition for casting it in the 7th edition armybook fluff.

So you are saying that somehow the death of the Slann in the battle counts, but the battle itself doesn't?

-T10

Concerning a race that is of vital importance to protect the world from the influence of chaos, of which only a few hundred are alive at most and none will ever be spawned again, I'd rather see the Slann get the heck out of there while his lizardmen minions get butchered (new ones will spawn anyway), than the Slann die but the battle won. The survival of one or more slann magepriests is more important than the survival of an army of saurus and skinks. Saurus and skinks can spawn again, slann cannot. Only if the battle is of vital importance (like closing a giant portal to the realm of chaos, or if they risk losing a templecity (and spawning pools and more slann)) would the death of a slann be acceptable in my eyes, but for anything else I would consider the result of the battle an abysmal failure regardless of victory.

I prefer to think long term with things in the warhammer world that are so limited, like Slann magepriests, anvils of doom etc.. In the long term I'd rather lose a battle, than one of those irreplacable creatures/things. Also when playing with my dwarf army I don't want to readily spend dwarven lives.. fluff just works it's way into my psyche like that.

On a related note I think a nice way for GW to advance the timeline in a meaningful way would be a miraculous 6th spawning of Slann.

drear
13-07-2011, 16:53
i take it as:

the slann read a plaque that says the army must go to this location, there the slann must sacrifice himself for the greater good.

army marches into the maelstrom of magic that falls upon the site the plaques told the slann.

he understands what he must do, to protect the ancient standing stones amidst the swirling magical vortex's

slann dies, opponenets army is decimated, lizardmen stop chaos enveloping the world

Glen_Savet
13-07-2011, 17:02
That's the way I took it drear; the fact that the Slann is willing to sacrifice itself means that this particular battle isn't just some "random" fight. If one of those ancient beings is willing to die for it, it must be an important place/event.

drear
13-07-2011, 17:21
definitly, its not like you will be doing it every single game. i for one dont plan on using it much, when i do it will be to make sure those pesky skaven dont invade lustria D:

The bearded one
13-07-2011, 17:33
I'd only be using it in the uttermost dire circumstances, relatively late in the game when I'm being heavily outnumbered. I would avoid killing a slann as long as I can.

soultaker
13-07-2011, 18:01

so long as the other slaan takes life you could just use the domination cataclysm spell to just revive the slaan that just leveled the field... some sacrifice huh

Greyfire
13-07-2011, 19:16
You know, reducing the number of units seems helpful in theory, but if it leaves a couple of enemy deathstars sitting around we might as well as just conceded the game... unless all we have left is our deathstars, too... unless the Slann + TG is the only unit on the board.

But back to the OP question, would anyone accept a house rule to allow a Slaan to leave a unit of Temple Guard? I like the flavor of the Slann sacrificing himself to help achieve the grand plan (I think it's called). I wouldn't think we'd let a pesky rule like Sacred Duty stop part of the entire reason this expansion exists.

I can even see the Temple Guard gaining Frenzy because of the great need for the Slaan's sacrifice. That sounds like it would be part of a good story, too. The last few survivors of temple guard fighting against a great horde to buy enough time for the Slann to do "that which must be done". Sounds a little dramatic, anyway.

The bearded one
13-07-2011, 20:40
The last few survivors of temple guard fighting against a great horde to buy enough time for the Slann to do "that which must be done". Sounds a little dramatic, anyway.

Simpsons di... Lord Kroak did it.

It wasn't his intention to die though..

unheilig
13-07-2011, 20:52
I could see the temple guard needing to stay within 6" of the fulcrum the slann is on.

Greyfire
13-07-2011, 20:59
I could see the temple guard needing to stay within 6" of the fulcrum the slann is on.
That sounds fair.

Lord Zarkov
13-07-2011, 21:38
so long as the other slaan takes life you could just use the domination cataclysm spell to just revive the slaan that just leveled the field... some sacrifice huh

Verdant Apotheosis doesn't work on characters unfortunately.

decker_cky
13-07-2011, 23:00
Why would you even take temple guard without a slann though?

unheilig
13-07-2011, 23:18
Why would you even take temple guard without a slann though?

So the slann can go on a fulcrum, but you still get to use the awesome Temple Guard models?

The bearded one
13-07-2011, 23:41
Would it be possible to seperate the Slann and templeguard during deployment by putting the slann on the fulcrum before he'd have to go inside the TG?

decker_cky
13-07-2011, 23:44
Would it be possible to seperate the Slann and templeguard during deployment by putting the slann on the fulcrum before he'd have to go inside the TG?

You'd need house rules to do so. I can't see anyone refusing.

Necromancy Black
15-07-2011, 15:03
I'd like to see all my other units dead and only the last Slann left to cast the spell. Then I have 0 units and characters left, and so does my opponent.

I call it great "draw the game"-er.

drear
15-07-2011, 15:33
well all this is sillyness anways, as you dont need the slann on a fulcrum to cast it.
skinks on fulcrum, kill slann , great leveler goes off!