PDA

View Full Version : O&G vs Ogres (need help)

stashman
13-07-2011, 18:38
So I played an Ogre army today @ 5000 pts. I was up against one Horde Ironguts and one Horde Bulls, with characters in both.

I played like a wood elf player and used buildings, hand of gork and Itchy Nuisance to stay away from the hordes.

We played a draw, only around 30 points diffrence. I managed to kill of a 6 strong irongut unit and a 6 strong bulls unit. 3 units of three leadbelchers, a unit of 4 maneaters and a slaughtermaster (miscast and killed himself on a roll of 1).

He took a 48 unit big uns, 50 unit of squigs, 30 nightgoblins, 20 savage orcs, warlord, goblin warboss, savage orc lv.2 shaman and a mangler squig.

My araknarok played hide and seek with his hunter.

One horde is hard, two is too much and he will probably use a third horde in next game where we plan to fight 6000 pts.

I need advices, and solid good ones!!!

And who can give me some nice calculations on following close combat attacks.

Every unit facing 18 ogre Ironguts/18 Bulls

40 Black Orcs
Great Weapon
Twin Choppa
Choppa & Shield

50 Black Orcs
Great Weapon
Twin Choppa
Choppa & Shield

60 Black Orcs
Great Weapon
Twin Choppa
Choppa & Shield

All help welcome, and I believe that I can't beat an ogre horde.
Thanks!!

Malorian
13-07-2011, 18:49
Your best target is the ironguts actually, since you can strike first and reduce attacks (even though it will hurt after).

The other thing you will want to work on is making them expose their flank. Take a good sized unit of night goblins and put them at a slant so that when they charge they will wheel to expose their flank to something killy.

Now it's important that the killy unit has the crown of command because they WILL lose combat thanks to the losses of the night goblins, but those night goblins are important due to their nets and also because since you now have him on two flanks he can't combat reform to face the main unit (if he combat reforms before you counter then just leav him there for the night goblins to tie up).

So that's one horde down. What do you do with the others? Well at least one of them should be up against 20 ranks of 5 wide night goblins. Tie him up and forget about him, or deal with them after you deal with the rest of the threats.

The other thing you need to be good at is shutting down their magic. The thing about playing the counter game is that you are making sure the important combats are taking place in your turn and thus you can dispel his remain ni play spells.

good luck :)

russellmoo
13-07-2011, 20:11
Did you get a chance to cast Foot of Gork? Every model that the template touches takes a Str 6 and D3 wounds- it's like it was made for killing ogres- especially an ogre horde

Also 10 boar boyz with shields and spears might also prove quite useful, or any other cavalry as they can't be stomped- some spiders or wolf riders should be able to keep his hunter, or any gorgers busy

Malorian
13-07-2011, 20:37
Did you get a chance to cast Foot of Gork? Every model that the template touches takes a Str 6 and D3 wounds- it's like it was made for killing ogres- especially an ogre horde

Also 10 boar boyz with shields and spears might also prove quite useful, or any other cavalry as they can't be stomped- some spiders or wolf riders should be able to keep his hunter, or any gorgers busy

Great idea with foot of gork but unless you plan to meet horde with horde I wouldn't suggest the cav merely as a way to remove stomp attacks.

Stomp should kill only kill 3 more models per turn and to stop that you are paying twice as much to get cav over elite units, and to me twice the number of elite units will put out a better punch and will be steadfast if they lose.

Even the armor of the cav will mean less as it will be reduced by 3 when fighting the ironguts and by 2 by naked ogres (remember that ogre clubs reduce your armor save.