PDA

View Full Version : Mazdamundi and Kroak Questions

Adohi-Tehe
13-07-2011, 22:28
The recent Storm of Magic release has me pondering several questions in relation to Lord Mazdamundi and Lord Kroak.

The first of these is whether or not these two special characters are actually classified as Slann Mage-Priests for the purpose of rules. This is especially important now in that, if both are indeed classified as such, they become extremely powerful in relation to the Great Leveller spell as both have no limit to the number of dice they can use when casting a spell. :eek:

The second question pertains to the fact that both characters have spells exclusive to them and whether or not these spells would be classified as High Magic spells for the purpose of Storm of Magic ascendancy bonuses (I personally believe this will need an official faq).

Finally, and in relation to the first, is Lord Mazdamundi able to channel spells through Skink Priests?

Cheers

The bearded one
13-07-2011, 23:00
The first of these is whether or not these two special characters are actually classified as Slann Mage-Priests for the purpose of rules. This is especially important now in that, if both are indeed classified as such, they become extremely powerful in relation to the Great Leveller spell as both have no limit to the number of dice they can use when casting a spell. :eek:

They're no better at casting than regular slann (actually, normal slann can be better than them with 'focussed ruminations' adding an extra powerdice to the attempt). More importantly, it requires you to sacrifice the slann and it's better to sacrifice a bare-bones version of 275 pts, rather than one of the special characters or 600 or so pts.

I don't think there is an official FAQ answer on that, but there is related FAQ question from which you could distill the most likely answer. That was wether Thorek Ironbrow (dwarf special character, the dude on the anvil) and Thorgrim grudgebearer (the high king, on the golden throne) were a runelord and dwarf lord respectively (which was an issue for certain special rules, like hammerers being stubborn with a dwarf lord, and runelords granting dispeldice to the pool), and according to that FAQ they were indeed a runelord/dwarf lord. Mazdamundi I'd say it's highly likely he counts as a Slann and has the great leveller. Lord Kroak I am not too certain.. he is a mummified skeleton after all, with explicitely only 1 spell.

someone2040
14-07-2011, 00:26
They are both Slann Mage-Priests. Regardless of whether Kroak is dead or not. I think it's fairly obvious. GW is getting better at making these distinctions though, like in the latest Tomb King book they specifically state the types of the special characters as well.

However, neither of their spells gains Ascendency bonuses as they are not part of any of the lores of magic (or on the spinner), but seperate on their own.

It perhaps may make sense to have Ruination of Cities a Life spell, and Deliverance of Itza either High Magic or perhaps Light, but those would be purely house rules.

Adohi-Tehe
14-07-2011, 01:36
They're no better at casting than regular slann (actually, normal slann can be better than them with 'focussed ruminations' adding an extra powerdice to the attempt). More importantly, it requires you to sacrifice the slann and it's better to sacrifice a bare-bones version of 275 pts, rather than one of the special characters or 600 or so pts.

Unless I am mistaken (which is very possible), wizards may still only attempt to cast spells with a maximum of six dice in Storm of Magic (unless otherwise stated). The advantage of these two therefore lies in the fact that they may far more easily reach the monstrous +35 required to cast the spell as they can throw as many dice at it as they please. It is also important to remember that there is no limit to the number of dispel dice the opponent may use when attempting to dispel. It is very possible then for Kroak and Mazdamundi to throw enough dice at the Great Leveller to make dispelling it extremely difficult in most situations. This is highly advantageous as I have a feeling most opponents will not want this spell to get off.

stripsteak
14-07-2011, 02:52
mazdamundi sure, but i believe Kroak can only use unlimited dice when casting The Deliverance of Itza.

Mr_Rose
14-07-2011, 18:30
Ruination of Cities is surely a Light spell? Like Assault of Stone.
Little known fact about Light magic; despite the name it's actually the wind principally involved in stone-shaping. In fact the Skaven mad an engine to manipulate it en masse in order to expand their holdings underground (it went wrong, of course). This is also the other reason Liche Priests get to use it.