PDA

View Full Version : The Mythic Artefacts

Jack of Blades
13-07-2011, 22:50
What foremost uses do you see for them? I would've bought the book - I really did want to - but that price tag is about as attractive as a rotting cow carcass. And how many gnoblars do each of them cost? :shifty:

I know there's a Storm of Magic tactics thread but that's too generic. I want to discuss the items. Bring it on, book owners ;)

I'll update this post as each description (and item costs in gnoblars/other currency) flows in. This was copied and edited from here (http://chronowraith.blogspot.com/2011/07/storm-of-magic-more-in-depth-look-and.html):

Dawnstar Sword - Doubles attack characteristic and gains automatic hits, wounds, and multiple wounds (2d6) as it progresses along fulcrum control. 100 gnoblars

Blade of Last Resort - Makes a character extremely powerful in duels but, upon winning a duel the character is removed as a casualty and a randomly determined new character (apparently from any side?) is given the blade.

Dodecahedron of Continental Drift - When playing with modular boards like the Realm of battle board, this bound spell (one use only) item allows players to swap board tiles with several restrictions.

Fozzrik's Floating Fortress - A floating fortress that can contain a single unit and move across the battlefield. Gains abilities as it progresses in power such as a flame attack, rock dropping gargoyles, and stone fists that assault anyone assaulting the fortress.

Woodwaker's Wand - Bound item, one use only that converts an existing forest into a unit of Guardian Trees. These trees have a pretty frightening statline that is much more impressive than treekin and in many ways, more useful than treemen.

Living Deadwood Staff - This has several effects ont he playing field. First, every forest counts as a blood forest. These forests do more damage as you progress from presence to equilibrium to domination. Lastly, this item allows for the summoning of Mysterious Forests.

Giantkin Helm - One use only. This transforms the wearer into a giant with all the advantages and disadvantages of that unit. This magic is temporary and the user checks every player turn to see if it fades (on a roll of a 1). Wounds are carried over even in excess of the original model (so they could die).

Windcatcher Prism - Depending on which wind is ascendant this item provides the bearer and his unit with a variety of effects from flaming weapons that reroll to-wound rolls to Initiative 10 and ASF to non-magical attacks only hitting on the roll of a 6.

Paranoth's Piquet Fence - Turns a woods, hill, or marsh into a building. Temporary magic that can fade similar to the Giantkin Helm above.

Rockcharmer's Flute - Causes a nearby hill to attack any units on top of it and then move 2d6 inches. Units moved over will take damage as well. Bound item, one use only.

Wyssan's Weighted Dice - One use only (maybe). Pick two numbers. All dice rolls of the first count as the second. This goes for everything and everyone. As you progress along fulcrum control it is possible to use the items multiple times.

Arabyan Puzzlebox - If the winds of magic are an odd number then add d6 power dice. Even number then reroll the d3 for magical flux (which lets you affect the wheel of magic and which lore is ascendant). As you progress in fulcrum control you gain several other abilities such as +3 to casting attempts that contain doubles, Doubles also increase the heroes characteristics by d3, to, finally, all doubles cause irresistible force.

Black Book of Ibn Naggazar - Grants Loremaster Death and Shadow. Each spell cast remove d3 models and add that number of dice to the casting roll. If no models in unit then bearer is killed. If he doesn't attempt to cast a spell from death or shadow during a magic phase he is also killed. Greater power adds additional power for the sacrifices (up to 3d6 per model!).

Tzeentch Lover
14-07-2011, 03:32
Dawnstar Sword - I honestly don't expect much use from this except by maybe Warriors of Chaos or Vampires as it turns their already not so helpless wizards into combat beasts ready to kick people off Fulcrums or take on almost any monster. It's actually only 100 Gnoblars.

The Blade of Last Resort - Won't see much use. Way to random and dangerous for characters you don't want to die.

Dodecahedron of Continental Drift - One use Boundspell=fail. You opponent will never let this go unless you seriously manipulated him into burning dispell dice.

Fozzrik's Floating Fortress - I don't expect it to see much use except from people who already abuse Fozzriks Folding Fort.

Woodwaker's Wand - Boundspell=fail. However, the stateline is freaking awesome though. Not to mention that it will destroy a unit in CC in the woods. That can be used to your advantage. Might use it. It also sucks that you need to rely on rolling a wood for random terrain. Maybe Woodelves will use it since they can always have trees.

Living Deadwood Staff - Interesting and useful, but requires a lot of trees to be rolled for terrain.

Giantkin Helm - Giants are pretty good in Storm of Magic and I think you can stay in your unit as a Giant. Useful to put on a cheap hero.

Windcatcher Prism - I expect this to get the most use. Every bonus is useful. I'd put it on mediocre units as opposed to powerhouse units(IE Bulls instead of Ironguts) to maximize the benfits.

Paranoth's Piquet Fence - Meh, I can see it's usefulness, but I'd rather get other things.

Rockcharmer's Flute - Not very useful and requires hills to show up in the random terrain rolls.

Arabyan Puzzlebox - Pretty powerful, but expensive and I believe the Dominance effect to be a downside. IF is great and all, but Miscasting SUCKS. WoC with their Infurnal Puppet might use it though.

Black Book of Ibn Naggazar - I love this. It gives a bunch of Power Dice for 2 very nice lores. I only really see Skaven and O&G using this though since no other army can reliably field the necessary unit of 120+ models

EDIT: Missed the Weighted Dice. You can probably come up with some cool combos, but it works both ways and you probably will only get one use in it.

snottlebocket
14-07-2011, 07:07
The Blade of Last Resort - Won't see much use. Way to random and dangerous for characters you don't want to die.

Hey, I love this thing as a goblin player. I don't really have any characters that I mind dying. If it ends up in my opponents hands, I'll happily charge in some wolf riders with a champion though.

I'm kind of sad to see players are already trying to figure out how to maximise their cheese and waac in an expansion trying to avoid such things.

Uriain
14-07-2011, 08:09
Dawnstar Sword - have not seen this used yet, but I think it could be fun to put on a character, just for the hilarity factor of a character with a ton of attacks face-rolling a unit

Blade of Last Resort - Have not seen this in use yet, but could be interesting

Dodecahedron of Continental Drift - This, imo, is very awesome. Yeah, bound spell makes it a bit riskier to use, but you should normally be able to draw out all your opponents dispel dice between cata spells and your regular spells. If they don't, then you should have gotten the majority of your spells off which is a ++ anyways

Fozzrik's Floating Fortress - I think the floating fortress is hilarious, I used to use a regular one before I switched over to a Monster heavy list with dragonlord, and had a great time with it. my only problem is how many floors, and how many PER floor is normal?

Woodwaker's Wand - this could be super dirty, especially in combination with the Living deadwood staff, or a Zoat

Living Deadwood Staff - This Item I really like, I use it in conjuntion with a Zoat caster, the abillity to change everything into blood forests, and move them around in he movement phase AND have more damaging tree attacks, just to fun.

Giantkin Helm - Have not used this yet, but being able to turn into a giant could have its uses, the only downside is that you can be targeted out easily, and cant use any of your abillities. Good for a gobbo character so you can get ANOTHER giant in your list if you wanted (that would be 6)

Windcatcher Prism - This item is very poweful, but it (imo) is still not something you can throw on a weaker unit and "leave them to their own devices". My buddies clanrats with BSB had this item, and he as fighting my Dark elf spearmen for 4 consecutive combat rounds, so its good, but I think it helps medium to high threat unit more then "low threat" units

Paranoth's Piquet Fence - Have not seen this used yet, but has some interesting implications

Rockcharmer's Flute - I think this item is quite comical, and can be used to great effect with Living Deadwood Staff, having forests that move and do damage, then cast magic at he unit in the tree's to do more damage, its a win win.. until it happens to you lol

Wyssan's Weighted Dice - this one could be interesting, and I see non magic lists take this a lot and really hammer home someone's magic phase before a massive surge into combat.

Arabyan Puzzlebox - I think this item could be VERY powerfull in a magic heavy list.. giving you a little bit more control over that phase.

Black Book of Ibn Naggazar - This item is crazy, I watched my friend use it in a game he had, it can seriously stack your power dice, but you normally miscast, and that can go poorly for you lol.

Tzeentch Lover
14-07-2011, 11:00
Hey, I love this thing as a goblin player. I don't really have any characters that I mind dying. If it ends up in my opponents hands, I'll happily charge in some wolf riders with a champion though.

I'm kind of sad to see players are already trying to figure out how to maximise their cheese and waac in an expansion trying to avoid such things.

And what happens if the blade gets handed off to your(as a goblin player) General, Lord level wizard(s), BSB, or one of your wizards on a fulcrum? You army suddenly is very vulnerable. I'm all for trying out new things(and I'm hardly a WAAC player), but I feel there is more risk than reward here.

snottlebocket
14-07-2011, 11:06
And what happens if the blade gets handed off to your(as a goblin player) General, Lord level wizard(s), BSB, or one of your wizards on a fulcrum? You army suddenly is very vulnerable. I'm all for trying out new things(and I'm hardly a WAAC player), but I feel there is more risk than reward here.

Meh, I never pick for efficiency. The sword just sounds hilarious and that's the best thing that can happen to a battle.

Heck, I'm even considering an army with only a general and a bsb just to help ensure I get to screw most of his characters. I can always bring some lammasu to occupy fulcrums. As wizards go they're fairly durable fulcrum occupants.

Jim
14-07-2011, 14:42
I used the Weighted Dice in my first game on Tuesday - couple of things to note -

Although only one use, depending on whether at the end of your turn you are at Presence, Equilibrium or Dominance you get a dice roll chance (6,5 & 4+ respectively) to retain the item and use again in a future turn.

I chose moving 1's to 5's and the turn was carnage! I can't honestly say whether I benefited more or my opponent did - It made Wizards on Fulcrum's ward save the equivilent of 2++ which saved my bacon, my opponents Lvl 4 DE Sorcerress 'failed' a Stubborn LD 9 Break test on a Fulcrum by rolling a 1 and a 5 which was understandably hilarious from my side of the table. Both me and him seemed to hit but save everything - so it was mad but really good fun!!!

I'd use again for the sheer hilarity that it causes - be careful of picking anything changing to 6's though as you will miscast and without the benefit of IF for any Cataclysm spells.

Jim

Spiney Norman
14-07-2011, 14:55
I used the Weighted Dice in my first game on Tuesday - couple of things to note -

Although only one use, depending on whether at the end of your turn you are at Presence, Equilibrium or Dominance you get a dice roll chance (6,5 & 4+ respectively) to retain the item and use again in a future turn.

I chose moving 1's to 5's and the turn was carnage! I can't honestly say whether I benefited more or my opponent did - It made Wizards on Fulcrum's ward save the equivilent of 2++ which saved my bacon, my opponents Lvl 4 DE Sorcerress 'failed' a Stubborn LD 9 Break test on a Fulcrum by rolling a 1 and a 5 which was understandably hilarious from my side of the table. Both me and him seemed to hit but save everything - so it was mad but really good fun!!!

I'd use again for the sheer hilarity that it causes - be careful of picking anything changing to 6's though as you will miscast and without the benefit of IF for any Cataclysm spells.

Jim

Dear Gork, the full implication of the weighted dice has just sunk in, I can make my entire O&G army immune to animosity for at least one turn...

I can't believe I didn't see this before. I'm definitely going to try this one

snottlebocket
14-07-2011, 15:31
Dear Gork, the full implication of the weighted dice has just sunk in, I can make my entire O&G army immune to animosity for at least one turn...

I can't believe I didn't see this before. I'm definitely going to try this one

Dwarfs could seriously increase the odds of miscasts for at least a turn.

Von Wibble
14-07-2011, 16:31
Dawnstar Sword - At its best on models with a high attacks to cost ratio, with WS and S not mattering so much. Goblins and Saurus would be great if their I wasn't so low that they get killed quickly. I therefore would suggest Slaaneshi Daemons and Saurus.

Blade of Last Resort - Champioon challanges and dies in exchange for expensive character. Not good. The only use I can see is to take it in an army with only a few characters and try to bounce it onto teh nastiest enemy characters possible, then kill them off this way. A definate hot potato, not for my elves.

Dodecahedron - Impractical to move the board around therefore won't see much use. They should have just make it switch the position of 2 units.

Fortress - Most of its bonus effects over the foldable fortress only apply if you are very close to the enemy. Considering the best garrison for a fortress is missile troops, this seems like a bad idea. Movnig it (possibly by magic) behind teh foe is your best option.

Woodwaker's Wand - Very nice. OK its bound, but bound spells can be cast with IF and the only miscast consequence is the spell can't be cast again iirc, so throw a lot of dice into it or a power scroll. The effect is certainly worth it. Wood elves in particular like this with their ability to summon woods for best placement.

Living Deadwood Staff - Very powerful. Units lose steadfast in woods, so moving the woods 6" per turn can make a cavalry charge very viable. And that's without considering the other effects, such as having potential for spells to do bonus high strength hits. One of my 3 favourites.

Giantkin Helm - A perfect way to hide your strength, and a great item for a cheap character. Its cheaper than a Giant, and effectively allows a giant to have a rank bonus and act as an assassin - also chances are it will last as long as a giant does when it makes combat.

Windcatcher Prism - Powerful but pricy. Since some of the benefits are for shooting imo units like dwarf thunderers and lothern sea guard benefit most.

Piquet Fence - Relatively cheap and potentially very powerful - imagine a high elf raising a fulcrum on a hill then having a unit on the hill garrision the fence - said wizard is virtually impregnable, until you roll a 1!

Flute - See Wand for comments on bound spells. You will have a hill pretty much every game. Being able to move that hill potentially to block a charge, uncover an enemy unit ready for magic missiles/ shooting, and also cause a lot of damage is powerful. One of my favourites.

Weighted Dice - Probably my favourite of the lot. It does affect enemy rolls, and obviouly you may want to avoid miscasts and failed Ld checks. For this reason I would suggest you change 1s to 5s, and that you generally target enemies whose savnig throw would be modified to less than 5+. Reliable armies with pretty much all rolls at 4+ could even go for changing 1s to 4s.

Puzzlebox - A bit too expensive and random for me but I can see why some peolpe like it. As an arcane item it has to go onto a model that is at risk pretty much all game - too pricy therefore.

Black Book - Definately one for tomb kings, skaven and O+G, as they can afford the losses (possibly Empire and Brets also). Too risky I would think for others, but if you have a way to quickly heal units then anyone else could also take it.

Von Wibble
14-07-2011, 16:33
Dwarfs could seriously increase the odds of miscasts for at least a turn.

You have to use the dice during your turn not the enemy one.

russellmoo
14-07-2011, 19:51
I think the better use for the weighted dice is going to be something much more subtle and devious (by which I mean elf-like)-

Elite armies fighting armies with poorer weapon skills can make 2's count as 3's- now when it comes to close combat- they will only miss on a 1, while their opponents gain little if any benefit- I could see this making week troops absolutely useless-

Some armies might also find it extremely useful in a defensive role- imagine making 6's count as 5's- something that will have little effect on say- a unit with mindrazor on it- but that unit which need's 6's to wound now won't be able to- TK could make their Warshpynx's invulnerable for a turn this way- as well as make it impossible to miscast-

There are so many possibilities with this item it makes my head hurt

Algovil
14-07-2011, 21:31
I agree, something else that would work well for elite armies is 6 counting like 3 in some situations. No Killing Blow for my Grave Guards, No poison for my ghouls, Less hits overall for troops with low WS. Warriors of Elf Elites wil still hit and wound. In addition you have no chance of miscasting what so ever. Sure you will roll lower overall, but you can just use more dice, and the dispell rolls suffer as well. The other way around, if you play VC for example, you could make 3 count as 6, when playing against tougher enemies. You normally only hit elites on 4+. Now you hit on 3 as well. 1/3 chance autowounding with Ghouls, and having a bigger chance of Killing Blow with Grave Guards, still if the enemy have armour, they will save more often, but not warriors with 3+ save. Hm difficult to make up the situations were this items really shines, so many factors.

vinny t
14-07-2011, 22:25
I think poison would become ridiculous, doubling the poisoned wounds caused. For plaguebearers have 2s count as 6s and watch them scythe through normal troops

someone2040
15-07-2011, 05:41
I agree, something else that would work well for elite armies is 6 counting like 3 in some situations. No Killing Blow for my Grave Guards, No poison for my ghouls, Less hits overall for troops with low WS. Warriors of Elf Elites wil still hit and wound. In addition you have no chance of miscasting what so ever. Sure you will roll lower overall, but you can just use more dice, and the dispell rolls suffer as well. The other way around, if you play VC for example, you could make 3 count as 6, when playing against tougher enemies. You normally only hit elites on 4+. Now you hit on 3 as well. 1/3 chance autowounding with Ghouls, and having a bigger chance of Killing Blow with Grave Guards, still if the enemy have armour, they will save more often, but not warriors with 3+ save. Hm difficult to make up the situations were this items really shines, so many factors.
That certainly is one thing I had in mind. It can also protect your monsters from low strength attacks ( would probably set it to something that doesn't hit your monsters as well).

The way I see Wyssans Weighted Dice, it has so many applications it can be used on. It just depends a lot on the circumstances at the time, what armies are being lined up, etc. I think it takes a good prediction of what you intend to happen during the turn, so you've got to have a bit of foresight into how the turn is going to go, and which way you want to weight the dice.

Overall, I reckon I like the Weighted Dice the most. Just because I'm sure it's going to have a good bit of hilarity come out of it's uses, and there are sure to be sneaky ways to use the Dice to your best advantage.

GodlessM
15-07-2011, 11:34

It's a *****-and-giggles for fun expansion, who gives a crap about what's competitive or not. I can't wait to see the look on a Daemon player's face when his GUO who is all snug and immovable atop his Fulcrum all of a sudden spawns this sword and my lowly champion gets to die to kill him.

Von Wibble
15-07-2011, 15:51
One possibility to mitigate the problem of teh enemy gettnig all their to hits and wounds boosted by weighted dice could be to use them in an early turn where you simply buff your shooting. Worthwhile for an army relying on its missile troops.

Lizardmen have potentially the nastiest use for this with all that poison, though Khalidah led TK also have a lot of potential.

I have to agree that its an item that you can tailor to any army and situation. And the dice even affect the roll to reuse them, so your odds are often better than the rules imply.

ewar
26-07-2011, 12:47
Was about to post a thread about this subject - luckily I did a search first!

I only just got the book, but I'm loving the ideas put forward here about the dice. I won't lie, when I read the entry I though it was bit 'meh', but seeing some of the posts here has really opened my eyes.

I especially like that if you're careful in your choice you can also improve the odds of the item being usable in a different turn...

The question is, are there any situations in a turn where improving the odds for one thing will penalise you badly in another? I'm thinking changing 3s to 4s will be great for my Saurus spear horde of 40 (with 51 S4 attacks). Where they're normally hitting on 4s, wounding on 3s or 4s this would make a big difference to their damage output. It would also improve their saves versus S3 attacks...

Now you could change 3s to 5s, which would improve their save against S4, but would also generally mean S3 opponents wounding them more easily... [goes cross eyed]

Putting that brain teaser to one side, I think the first items I'm going to try are Puzzle Box (just so good on the Slann...) and the Dawnstar Sword on my Old Blood with Carni. Yes, it's plain dumb bashing - but wow what a bashing. It's been so long since I've used a proper fighty lord on mount that I'm going to run that combo just to re-live some 1994 Warhammer action - run the baddest thing you've got (normally on a dragon of some kind) straight at the opponents big bad (normally a dragon of some kind).

Really need to get painting so I can play a game now...

Satan
26-07-2011, 13:04
Dawnstar Sword - Good, stable, solid choice.

Blade of Last Resort - Your character dies and then there's a substantial chance the enemy might get it? No thanks.

Dodecahedron of Continental Drift - Useful if you're playing with an RoB and don't care about your models much. Just a real hassle to use.

Fozzrik's Floating Fortress - Not that great IMO, but OK I guess.

Woodwaker's Wand - Gives you a useful unit IF you can get that spell off.

Living Deadwood Staff - Good if you're playing with more than 2 woods. Potentially devastating as it can hamper the opponents attempts at casting army-wide spells.

Giantkin Helm - You lose the Giant status on the roll of a one? No thanks.

Windcatcher Prism - Always useful since it buffs the entire unit. Only drawback is that its random.

Paranoth's Piquet Fence - Don't really see the point in it. You've got a garrisoned building? Yay for you. Useful if you can turn a terrain feature surrounding a fulcrum into a building though.

Rockcharmer's Flute - Doesn't cause enough damage to be worthwhile when compared to other items.

Wyssan's Weighted Dice - Decent, but what's the exact point? Can be just as harmful as useful.

Arabyan Puzzlebox - Useful, but can cause you some serious miscasts. Good with the Lore of Life though.

Black Book of Ibn Naggazar - Why would you want to use it unless you're playing Skaven? Your wizard will most likely die from it.

Putting that brain teaser to one side, I think the first items I'm going to try are Puzzle Box (just so good on the Slann...) and the Dawnstar Sword on my Old Blood with Carni. Yes, it's plain dumb bashing - but wow what a bashing. It's been so long since I've used a proper fighty lord on mount that I'm going to run that combo just to re-live some 1994 Warhammer action - run the baddest thing you've got (normally on a dragon of some kind) straight at the opponents big bad (normally a dragon of some kind).

Really need to get painting so I can play a game now...

And that was my point in the tactics thread. Those are two of the most useful items in your case, so that's what everyone will choose. Why would you want to take the Blade of Last Resort on your Carni for example?

drear
26-07-2011, 13:10
if its a carnosaur lord the sword of dpouble attack goodness would suit it well.
hitting and wounding automatically? yes!
theres your fulcrum hunter and character challanger.

the dice seem fun, for magic all 6's to 5's means its safer, but then you could as you say use it for saves or somthing else.

if you make all 3's into 4's. then you can harmonic convergance 1's to be rerolled.

satan: the living deadwood staff is useful, ( my games have 1-2 woods) but it also has a bound spell lvl12 to summon a woods. thats 3 turns of wood summoning, and moving those woods madly around onto your opponenet. its great to dump onto cavalry units or infront of a unit ready to charge so they loose steadfast. etc etc

ewar
26-07-2011, 15:55
And that was my point in the tactics thread. Those are two of the most useful items in your case, so that's what everyone will choose. Why would you want to take the Blade of Last Resort on your Carni for example?

Totally agree - but the Sword of Last Resort is definitely NOT for characters who are already strong in combat!

Think of it this way - a skink chief on terradon with the sword. Keep him in a unit of terradons, nice and safe and completely not dangerous. But add 4, say, to all his characteristics and you have a great suicide attacker on the cheap. He would definitely be able to at least put some damage on a character, and then if the sword goes to your opponent you can try and get a champion into a challenge with them so that they are effectively committing suicide.

Sounds like a fun, fluffy and entirely awesome way to play a game of SOM to me!

As for not getting the point of the wighted dice - just think of all the possibilities. We've only touched on a few in this thread, and I bet a lot more pop out during play.

decker_cky
26-07-2011, 18:05
Amusingly....the sword of last resort can actually be used to remove strong enemy characters. It randomly goes to a character from among all the characters. So long as you have lots of champions and few characters, you stand a good chance of being able to use it to remove enemy characters.

Ramius4
26-07-2011, 18:09
Amusingly....the sword of last resort can actually be used to remove strong enemy characters. It randomly goes to a character from among all the characters. So long as you have lots of champions and few characters, you stand a good chance of being able to use it to remove enemy characters.

Champions are not characters, so the sword will never go to them.

Von Wibble
26-07-2011, 18:31
As an aside on that point, can champions who are allowed magic items use mythic artefacts? I would think not, but would like to know.

snottlebocket
26-07-2011, 19:36
Champions are not characters, so the sword will never go to them.

That's the point. Wait until it jumps to one of your opponent's characters. Then charge him with a champion of some sort and let him challenge himself to death.

Von Wibble
28-07-2011, 11:11
Of course, doing this restricts the number of wizards you'd have in your army. Its risky whichever way you look at it - not an item to take if you have a WAAC attitude. Then again, if that is the case, why are you playing SoM?

Ramius4
28-07-2011, 15:30
As an aside on that point, can champions who are allowed magic items use mythic artefacts? I would think not, but would like to know.

No they may not. Only characters may be given artefacts. Champions are not characters.

That's the point. Wait until it jumps to one of your opponent's characters. Then charge him with a champion of some sort and let him challenge himself to death.

Ah, yes. The way your post was worded, I assumed you thought the sword could go to them.

EDMM
28-07-2011, 22:23
I think the Floating Fortress is a brilliant piece of kit.

At first I was turned off by the high cost, it is, after all, tied for the most expensive item in Warhammer.

Then I realized how useful it truly is. With Magic Resistance on the unit inside, along with the hard cover and template protection rules it is truly an awe inspiring shooting platform. There is only a small handful of spells that pose a danger to the Floating Fortress.

I am aware you only get 5 shots per floor, and that it should only be 3 floors high, but you get to shoot move or fire weapons.

60 Free Company joined by 15 Engineers with Grenade Launchers or repeater handguns.

100 Slaves with 15 Warlock Engineers with Rifles.

50 Skeleton Archers with Khalida.

Give any of the above the Flaming Banner and kill Fulcrum Wizards with impunity.

Just be sure to dispel Dwellers/Crystal Maze/etc. and nothing can touch you, as you float around the battlefield bringing death to your enemies.

rodmillard
28-07-2011, 22:56

Just be sure to dispel Dwellers/Crystal Maze/etc. and nothing can touch you, as you float around the battlefield bringing death to your enemies.

I am seriously tempted to use the floating fortress rules to represent a dwarf zepellin...

snottlebocket
28-07-2011, 23:01
I am seriously tempted to use the floating fortress rules to represent a dwarf zepellin...

What would you put in there that's worth the cost though? 15 handguns, crossbows or throwing axes is hardly worth the price.

I guess you could put a large combat block in there and use it as a very expensive troop transport but still...

EDMM
28-07-2011, 23:09
Shooting units that are better than what you suggested.

Like what I suggested in my previous post just a little ways up this page.

Don't forget you get the template attack and stone shots at Equilibrium as well.

Ramius4
29-07-2011, 01:38

At first I was turned off by the high cost, it is, after all, tied for the most expensive item in Warhammer.

Having fought against one a couple nights ago, I can tell you that so far it was the most impressive of the 7 artifacts I've seen used. It was indeed BRILLIANT.

I must've lost 650-750 points worth of troops to the 25 Lothern Seaguard who floated around the battlefield with impunity, stopping to block my troops from moving, jumping behind them to flame and shoot me, and eventually parking next to one of my fulcrums just to keep taking shots at one of my wizards from just a couple inches away.

I tried to dislodge the seaguard with 2 different assaults, but was repulsed each time. Granted my opponent had Dominance when I did that, but I wouldn't have broken them anyways.

snottlebocket
29-07-2011, 07:16
Shooting units that are better than what you suggested.

Like what I suggested in my previous post just a little ways up this page.

Don't forget you get the template attack and stone shots at Equilibrium as well.

Dwarfs have no other shooting unit unless you suggest putting a single warmachine in there.

Vsurma
29-07-2011, 11:20
One possibility to mitigate the problem of teh enemy gettnig all their to hits and wounds boosted by weighted dice could be to use them in an early turn where you simply buff your shooting. Worthwhile for an army relying on its missile troops.

Lizardmen have potentially the nastiest use for this with all that poison, though Khalidah led TK also have a lot of potential.

I have to agree that its an item that you can tailor to any army and situation. And the dice even affect the roll to reuse them, so your odds are often better than the rules imply.

Might be worth considering.

30 chamo skinks that will be double tapping on turn 1, doubling the amount of poison might work.

Combine it with lore of life slann that makes sure it gets throne of vines cast you can now get more IF spells off as well. Not sure its worth it but it could be fun.

EDMM
29-07-2011, 13:42
Dwarfs have no other shooting unit unless you suggest putting a single warmachine in there.

When did I say it was the best Artifact for every army, or Dwarfs in particular?

I'm very confused.
:confused:

Jormi_Boced
29-07-2011, 15:42
I had really good luck with the Dawnstar Sword. Had dominance and dropped a storm dragon with my Scar Vet:)

rodmillard
29-07-2011, 18:32
When did I say it was the best Artifact for every army, or Dwarfs in particular?

I'm very confused.
:confused:

That was my fault for suggesting you could use the floating fortress rules to represent a dwarf zepellin. Sorry.