PDA

View Full Version : Loremaster and cataclysm spells

Jack of Blades
14-07-2011, 21:09
This might be apparent in the book - for example if a wizard can only cast cataclysm spells while standing on a fulcrum - but I haven't read the book. As I was thinking about the Black Book of Ibn Naggazar it occurred to me that it would be a lot cooler if you had access to the cataclysm spells with it but you probably don't, and as you have to stay with a unit you can't get cataclysm spells with it... so do you gain knowledge of and casting ability of cataclysm spells with loremaster or not?

I suspect that you need to be standing on a fulcrum to cast cataclysm spells but I'm making sure ;)

Algovil
14-07-2011, 21:15
This has been discussed here on the forum, and it actually seems like you can cast cataclysm spells with any wizard, not just the one on fulcrums. :D

Which means that I can use my Vampire Lord with the book!

Jack of Blades
14-07-2011, 21:24
This has been discussed here on the forum, and it actually seems like you can cast cataclysm spells with any wizard, not just the one on fulcrums. :D

Which means that I can use my Vampire Lord with the book!

Hehehehe... muhuhuehehehe... MUHAHAHAHAAAA! :evilgrin:

The bearded one
14-07-2011, 21:40
Quikly checking my shiney new book, it seems you are indeed allowed to cast cataclysm spells without being on a fulcrum (and it does not appear to be an oversight, but actually intended.) but of course you still need fulcrums to cast it.

This just made me think.. wouldn't it be safer to cast cataclysm spells without standing on a fulcrum..? Then you don't have to roll on the arcane fulcrum miscast table.

Nighthawke
14-07-2011, 22:03
Quikly checking my shiney new book, it seems you are indeed allowed to cast cataclysm spells without being on a fulcrum (and it does not appear to be an oversight, but actually intended.) but of course you still need fulcrums to cast it.

This just made me think.. wouldn't it be safer to cast cataclysm spells without standing on a fulcrum..? Then you don't have to roll on the arcane fulcrum miscast table.

well certain armys like chaos would be safer casting on the fulcrim so khonre dosnt hit them so hard with a skull,but yeah most other armys are safer having there higher levels off the fulcrums and cheap casters on them.

GodlessM
14-07-2011, 22:50
well certain armys like chaos would be safer casting on the fulcrim so khonre dosnt hit them so hard with a skull,but yeah most other armys are safer having there higher levels off the fulcrums and cheap casters on them.

Don't know how you got that idea; the wizard might be safe from the D6 multiple wounds, but since the Fulcrum is a building he still takes D6 hits and they are S9.

The bearded one
14-07-2011, 23:46
3+ wardsave

Also your troops in the vicinity won't be hit.

Jack of Blades
15-07-2011, 00:04
3+ wardsave

I'm practically fulminating at the thought of some mad mage sacrificing his minions left right and center, uncaring that the sheer magical chaos wrecks his own slaves as he unleashes massive onslaught after onslaught of magic on the enemy. Cackling in his mad power as he frenziedly delves into the black book while raising his wicked dagger to sacrifice another minion time and time again...

I must use it... unleash the madness, draw use of the power! :evilgrin:

GodlessM
15-07-2011, 01:10
3+ wardsave

The example was Chaos Sorcerers; in my experiences a good Chaos general always take good ward saves on his characters, and Storm of Magic doesn't change this. You might have a ward save on a Fulcrum, but you're not always going to be on one.

As for troops, deploying your character on the corner as standard, the small template hits 5 other models (since Chaos infantry are all 25mm bases) at most, so it's not such a huge plus, especially when the periphery is at S3.

The bearded one
15-07-2011, 01:37
The example was Chaos Sorcerers; in my experiences a good Chaos general always take good ward saves on his characters, and Storm of Magic doesn't change this. You might have a ward save on a Fulcrum, but you're not always going to be on one.

That was the point of what you quoted from Nighthawke; well certain armys like chaos would be safer casting on the fulcrim so khonre dosnt hit them so hard with a skull

Also not every chaos wizard is a Tzeentch wizard, so when not on a fulcrum those have a 4+ ward at best. Tzeentch wizzies can have 2+ wardsaves on a fulcrum though, so for them standing on a fulcrum is pretty safe. That brass khorne skull isn't really the problem though when casting (and miscasting) stuff outside a fulcrum.. the miscast is going to be the bigger problem as you'll be blowing up your expensive troops. The wizard has a LoS save in a unit anyway.

Jack of Blades
15-07-2011, 01:50
To be fair, marauders aren't all that expensive. Certainly not expensive enough to be bad sacrifice fodder. Sure they're not goblins or skavenslaves but they're still cheap and plentiful - I can't see why you'd be worried about not having access to cheap troops as a Chaos general. Just stick the Black Book in a large unit of marauders and that's it :D

The bearded one
15-07-2011, 02:07
To be fair, marauders aren't all that expensive. Certainly not expensive enough to be bad sacrifice fodder. Sure they're not goblins or skavenslaves but they're still cheap and plentiful - I can't see why you'd be worried about not having access to cheap troops as a Chaos general. Just stick the Black Book in a large unit of marauders and that's it :D

Marauders are vulnerable to stone throwers though :) If you blow yourself up enough you'll be churning through a LOT of marauders :p

Jack of Blades
15-07-2011, 02:29
Marauders are vulnerable to stone throwers though :) If you blow yourself up enough you'll be churning through a LOT of marauders :p

Bah! nothing an ironcurse icon and mark of Tzeentch can't fix (possibly collar of khorne too, don't remember and can't be bothered to check the FAQ if it protects against miscast chart damage). Their deaths (and their souls :evilgrin:) will be put to good use :angel:

AlphariusOmegon20
17-07-2011, 04:53
3+ wardsave

2+ with mark of Tzeentch :D

You forget MoT adds +1 to any ward you have.

The bearded one
17-07-2011, 07:06
2+ with mark of Tzeentch :D

You forget MoT adds +1 to any ward you have.

I did not forget ;)

But not every chaos wizard is a Tzeentch wizard. :p Sometimes other marks get used too...!

.. by people with themed armies...

.. who kinda forced themselves into a corner..

OldMaster
17-07-2011, 13:27
Hey, I might consider using a Slaaneshi mage for the first time in my life. The cataclysm spells are shweeeeet.