PDA

View Full Version : Ever had that feeling about starting an army?

Jack of Blades
15-07-2011, 02:56
You make some lists. You like them. You like the idea of the army when you imagine it but... something just isn't there. There's this voice in your head telling you ''you'll like it - for 5 games... then you'll realise it wasn't worth the investment''. You hope it isn't true, you still want to like the army. Yet you can't shake the doubt that perhaps the voice is right.

The army I'm talking about here is WoC. That army feels like a well-oiled cogwheel: functionable, but not particularily charming and quite ugly.

Happened to you? how do you deal with it? what does it mean?

Ratbeast
15-07-2011, 03:17
When i think of starting a new army, i look at the australia prices, and instantly reconsider, and continue GW boycott

Jack of Blades
15-07-2011, 03:20
Yeah I've seen those australian prices - mind boggling really, those are actually ridiculous rather than merely too expensive.

mitsukai
15-07-2011, 04:19
I`ll be honest not so much for fantasy although I did for a wee while till I re-found my love of my ratties :) for 40k however all the poxy time just sold a load of Gk stuff cos I played them crap.

How do I deal with it..I don`t really mate, I just try to steer away from the ones that I know will cause me nothing but grief and try the ones I like the look of if it all goes tits up, I`ll sell them somewhere and move on

someone2040
15-07-2011, 04:28
Hmm... I think Orcs will turn out like that for me.
I won a few boxes in tournaments, decided to make a large unit of Big 'Uns for an event where you and a partner built a 450 point unit. Got slammed (I didn't pass a single leaderhip test... really cost me). Haven't felt like doing them since.

Although, Orcs and Goblins for me always had this thing where I was on the line about whether or not to do them. I just got pushed over since I won a few boxes of them in tournaments, so decided I may as well. But not sure if I'll get around to actually making the rest of the army.

Lord Solar Plexus
15-07-2011, 04:58
Happens to me indeed. I'm quite often thinking about starting a new army but then I get my doubts. Vampires are always cool, aren't they? But no shooting except for a Banshee and so reliant on the General? Hmm.

WoC look extremely good IMO, you don't need that many models to start with, they rock in CC...but will it get old soon?

Wood Elves too I like a lot, both from the overall army theme and concept as for the models. Then I imagine them fighting a living carpet of rats with the Stormbanner and go uuuhh, new armybook...

Perhaps Bretonnians? Hmm, I already play Humans...

So, you're not alone in that, Jack! :)

russellmoo
15-07-2011, 05:19
I have almost the same exact feelings about WoC-

The only reason I've been thinking about it is that my next army has to be an elite army- and I mean truly elite- so I'm left with High elves, Dark elves, WoC, or Demons-

For some reason I like the idea of an High elf army, but know that it will get boring, not just a feeling-

Dark elves it is the opposite- I know they will be interesting to play, but the army doesn't appeal to me-

So it leaves WoC- as the unknown, I like them, but also just don't feel right about playing them-

Demons- they just seem to easy- I mean seriously, 5++ ward on everything, you never run from combat, or panic- your only weakness is that you will tend to get outnumbered which might make it interesting- but then you are always and completely the bad guy with little room for any fluff outside of what is laid out in the armybook-

Kuroi
15-07-2011, 06:07
I've actually been going through this with the dark eldar. I love the models to bits, they seem to have rules that fall within my likeings.... and the fluff is intersting and reminiscent to my fantasy dark elves...However, when I actually got around to purchasing a box of kabalite warriors I find that I kind of loathe painting the actual models, I dunno what it is, perhaps it's just that it's 40k and I'm doing this project "just for kicks" or perhaps it's that extra bit of "edge highligting" I've been doing on their armour that kills me... I'm not one to surrender so easily though, I find that it's best just to soldier through it and in the end you might end up with something that you'll really enjoy once you get over the treshhold..

Leogun_91
15-07-2011, 06:30
Yes I have but for me it's the fluff that counts. If I read a gw book and doesn't find the fluff convincing enough (OK that's rare but finding fluff that lacks compared to the other armies I'm planning happends all the time) I put that book back in my bookcase and play another army instead.

samw
15-07-2011, 06:36
Bought the WE Army Book when they first came out, and the Battalion. Never even assembled them, still play my Brets. Not a total loss though. GR to become mounted yeomen, GG to become peasant archers, Dryads to become scenery. ;)

Essentially, even if you do bail, you'll still have a ton of parts and pieces for conversions, centrepieces or just trying things out on. If you're a group of mates you can often offload them, especially if they have that army already. And then there's always eBay. :D

Lowmans
15-07-2011, 06:37
I got the same feeling with WoC. I started an army, having gotten fed up with Beasts, they languish in their case awaiting resurrection or sale.
I think the thing is to identify the genuine hobby love from the flight of fancy. That's why I'm selling my Eldar and Orks (and Orcs). Really, the hobby has become too expensive to pick a few things up to try out.

Jind_Singh
15-07-2011, 06:38
Ogres - bought the book, feeling the love, loved the artwork, etc, the stories - but when I bought the 5000 pt army and started assembling it I just lost the love....

Can't put my finger on it - but something was.....missing

So sold them off years later at a discounted price - now I stick to the Orcs & Goblins!

Bingo the Fun Monkey
15-07-2011, 09:28
Whenever I start looking at another fantasy army, I get carried away, price out and plan my purchases and them I'm done. This is usually due to a sidelong glance at the 90 unpainted orcs that stick out like a sore thumb in my Waaagh!. Then I usually try to identify what it is about army X that I like and try to incorporate that into my OnG. Unfortunately, "glass cannon" doesn't exist in the OnG armybook. This has resulted in me wanting to start High Elves (my first army from 4th ed) again...only to open up the 7th ed HE book and losing all interest immediately.

Thank Gork (or Mork) for SoM, though. Now I can buy all kinds of stuff outside of my AB and justify it without having to worry about starting a new army. I just bought a 5th giant today and was eying a Hydra and a Carnosaur as well. I have a pretty comical conversion in mind for the Carnosaur when I get it. It'll involve a snotling wielding an inflated bladder on a fishing line.

samw
15-07-2011, 10:14
It'll involve a snotling wielding an inflated bladder on a fishing line.

Snotling holding squig on the end of a line is funnier. ;)

hashrat
15-07-2011, 11:35
Dwarves are like that for me, too inflexible and lacking in variety.

I started Skaven a while ago, I look forward to each new purchase and I think it helps, also looking at the Dark Elf Dragon, makes me want to rush out and buy one.

Looking at Dwarves, the £65 for 20 slayers pricetag, scares me off, I see no models that I really want etc.

I have considered other armies, but all have major downsides.

Tomb Kings, I think I will like the lore, the idea of the army is appealing, the new book is a bonus.

Downsides, The largest model and centrepiece, has no appeal and scrolling down the site brings me to guys surfing on snakes, look like they were made for toddlers. I only like the look of a single character model aswell.

Deamons, I always liked chaos and the lore and most models are sweet. I especially like the greater deamons.

Downsides, shy deamonettes are lame, no starter set?, deamon armies shouldn't exist and I always specifically wanted a proper mixed chaos force.

WOC, lore again, good starter set and nice models. Not bank breaking to start.

Downsides, I will always look at them and miss the deamons. ( I guess 1.5k of each would do, in an alliance, but I want 1 new army, not 2)

Vampire counts, nice lore and love vampires and necromancers.

Downsides, I hate 90% the models.

Lizardmen, I like the models and they seem to have some crazy magic. Not sure about lore.

Downsides, nothing comes to mind, but something bugs me.

I find buying a new army to be a pain, I worry that I will end up with Dwarves MKII, an army I wished I didn't own.

I want a army where I lolk forward to new additions, where as with the Dwarves all I really need is a Anvil, I CBA to buy it. Oh I have to paint them too :(

My other 5 armies, I enjoy immensely and all have great model ranges.

Flayed_Skull_Archon
15-07-2011, 12:17
I have the same problem. The thing that keeps me in check is the amount of painting I have to do. I have a 325 model count Dark Elf army with 3 unpainted miniatures, I have a 100ish Warmachine model count with 20 unpainted miniatures, an Empire army with about 225 models all unpainted, a dark eldar army of about 130 all unpainted, not to mention several smaller games like Uncharted Seas, Malifaux, Helldorado, Infinity, in which I have at least 20 miniatures to paint.

At a relaxed pace, I assume this will all take me 7 years painting at a relaxed 2 to 3 nights a week. This has also firmly stopped my desire for more fantasy armies, as the game is the most miniature heavy out there, even though it is the one I enjoy the most. I had army builder and I kept building lists. Storm of Magic isn't helping me any as I always wanted to own a Tzeentch/Slaanesh army and a Giant and River Trolls, etc

sasheep
15-07-2011, 12:51
I know this feeling well.
Dwarves: awesome fluff, awesome characters, inspiring art work, 99% of the modles are awesome BUT I really don't like the warriors and I also don't like the pricetag on the special units.
High Elves: Cool models (especially the new sea guard and white lions), a play style that I would really enjoy, lots of options for themed armies and I have a load of models (around 2000 points) from IoB and my mate just giving me them but I hate High Elves as they are completely stuck up and sissy (that will be the Dark Elf in me... :p) so I just can't bring myself to assembly/paint them.
Vampires: Love vampire legends, army has some beautiful models (and some that aren't great) loads of conversion potential and the fluff is awesome but I feel if I am going to do vampires I want to make a 100% converted army and just don't have the time/money to do so. Saying that SoM would allow me to do a small force so I am very tempted to give these guys a go.

Spider-pope
15-07-2011, 12:54
Last time i had that feeling was back in 5th edition, when i briefly had a Bretonnian army. Typically it was after i'd spent a feckload of money and time amassing a sizable force before it kicked in.

I realised after winning several games with zero effort and painting a few regiments that i really didnt enjoy the army at all. The painting was a chore, with all the various knightly colour schemes and gameplay wise nothing was proving a challenge at all.

So i sold them and swapped back to my Chaos Dwarfs for the rest of 5th ed. And since then i have made sure that when i collect an army i do so a little at a time rather than one big purchase, that way i'll know early on without wasting a load of money if i like painting and modelling them. And a few low point games let me get the gist of how a full army will play.

Jack of Blades
15-07-2011, 18:32
Nice to know I'm far from alone and read what you guys think :)

I have almost the same exact feelings about WoC

Yeah, with WoC it feels like you can make a list, play 1 game with them and that's it - you've explored their depth now. You can change around units and stuff but the army will play the same. Marauders, warriors, chosen, knights, chariots, ogres, trolls, dragon ogres... that's not a recipe for variety. Truly the definition of a 1-trick pony, which is what I fear will happen if one were to start them. But the army itself is so cool you can't help but be drawn to it.

I was pretty much sitting there going ''hehe :evilgrin: this list is excellent... but... that's all there is to this army...''

vinush
15-07-2011, 18:51
I get it all the time. I shudder to think how much I've invested in armies I never play, or use once and then give away to friends.

My current fixation is Lizardmen, although they will never replace my Empire army as my true love, I already have 2000 points worth assembled and I've even played them once. That may not sound like much, but it puts them ahead of the dark Elves I collected and used once (Still have an unassembled box of warriors and cold one knights despite giving the rest away), my Wood Elves (assembled about half, painted about a quarter and didn't even play them) and the Tomb Kings (Still sitting in a box only partially assembled, never used and unlikely to be finished).

THE \/ince

BBWags
15-07-2011, 18:57
I actually had the reverse feeling for wood elves. I got into FB at the very tale end of 7th and woodies seemed to be able to do everything I had hoped elder would do but couldn't. I bought the book, battleforce and a few more boxes of this and that, and fell in love with them: the fluff, the models, the feel of the whole army. Then 8th came and I got caught up in the lamenting and the cries that wood elves were unplayable. I sold everything but the army book.

But the feeling toward wood elves never truly went away. Now I am collecting them again no matter what the rules and game mechanics might say about their viability. I love 'em! And unless the new book (whenever it comes) totally changes the background and over all feel of them, I'll play them for a very long time.

theJ
15-07-2011, 20:11
Happens all the time for me.
I've considered pretty much every single army in both fantasy and 40K, but I always keep coming back to my high elves...
I've looked at the Vampire Counts - lots of skeletal warriors, backed up by some really neat elites... mmm.... wraiths.... and when you're in the mood, some zombies for that all too lovely horror element...
and then I realize I HAVE to include a vampire and run away screaming :(

I've looked at my fallen kin (I know, I know...), loving their neat and vastly more useful core (compared to my own), before noticing that basically everything else is made up of old metal models, and I really grew away from "oversized socks and string" style when I was, like, three :shifty:.

I've looked at the empire, loving the versatility, the numbers, the weapons... and hating the pyjamas that the core runs around with.

Overall, there's a lot that has to cinch to make me pick up an army.
First off, I have to love the fluff and imagery.
Then, I have to have a decent amount of variety in the lists.
Then, I have to have good looking core, and at least a few nice specials.

Rares and characters have always been less important to me. I get far more of a kick out of a properly converted and personalised character than I get out of a pre-made one, no matter how good it looks, and I've always viewed the rares as basically "optional extras", not the backbone of the army.
It's too bad GW seems to think the opposite... no offence.

sasheep
15-07-2011, 20:44
I actually had the reverse feeling for wood elves. I got into FB at the very tale end of 7th and woodies seemed to be able to do everything I had hoped elder would do but couldn't. I bought the book, battleforce and a few more boxes of this and that, and fell in love with them: the fluff, the models, the feel of the whole army. Then 8th came and I got caught up in the lamenting and the cries that wood elves were unplayable. I sold everything but the army book.

But the feeling toward wood elves never truly went away. Now I am collecting them again no matter what the rules and game mechanics might say about their viability. I love 'em! And unless the new book (whenever it comes) totally changes the background and over all feel of them, I'll play them for a very long time.

Ha, that is rather similar to my own story. WE were my first army way back but I gave them up for DE and then skaven but they have called me back and I'm in love all over again.

Slowpoke
15-07-2011, 21:32
I am a very fickle person when it comes to warhammer and it really is starting to be a pain for me.. During the last couple of months I've thought about starting about 6 armies or so.

Savage Orc tribe: The new models are cool and I have around 2000-2500 pts worth of OnG already so I could bulk up the army and proxy. But I've played OnG forever.. well at least since 5th edition.

Slaanesh themed WoC: My main army is already WoC and most are unpainted so it wouldn't be a pain to work the colour scheme up. But WoC are boooooring..

High Elves: The new starter set has nice models, they are an elite army and I would like to start a "good guy" army for a change, plus I wouldn't have to buy a ton of models to make a list. But they might get boring just like WoC has. And they can't take a punch.

Wood Elves: I've always liked them and almost started collecting them in 6th. But they are a tricky army for me because of the outdated book.

Dwarves: Love the fluff, they have guns instead of magic and they are tough as nails. But buying all those special choices in metal puts a big dent in my wallet.

Vampire Counts: Love those dead folks! I like the idea of having a shambling horde of undead marching towards the enemy lines while vampires and necromancers raise more dead and zap the enemy. Actually with VC I have no reason not to start them except my budget(mortgage anybody?). And who pays 80 euros for 5 blood knights?? What in the blue *******?!

So yes, I have a feeling to start an army. Today its Vampire Counts, tomorrow its Savage orcs yet again and after that High Elves..

Lowmans
15-07-2011, 22:06
and then I realize I HAVE to include a vampire and run away screaming :(.

You don't have to have a Vampire. Try a Wight King!

Anton
15-07-2011, 22:58
I also have the routine of drooling over models, making army lists, planning what to get, only to have my enthusiasm cooled down the next day.

For me it's about the game at large. I love delving into the fluff and stories of the Warhammer world and the artistic thing with modelling and painting.

But then I remember what Warhammer is. It's a war game. The models are warriors, the majority of the fluff handles the military aspects of each race, and for all I know the different races don't have another side to them than their constant preparation and planning for war. Which isn't surprising, since the Warhammer world is a world drenched with neverending, unforgiving war.

Maybe that's why I'm more into roleplaying games (even WFRP), since in roleplaying games you can choose what will be the focus of your games. Intrigue, social relations, mystery, problem solving or even violence.

But that's just me, and what holds me back when I get the urge to start a new army.

rob_appo
15-07-2011, 23:50
I've only been in the hobby a year and a bit bow and I have experienced the exact same thing so far I have started and abandoned ogres, O&G, lizardmen, empire and 40k orks. Luckily dark elves stuck and I now have around a 2.4k army (allmost all painted :p). I've also bought a load of dwarfs second hand which need some love but but after a betallion should be around 3k. Its dificult putting a finger on what makes an army stick, I suppose it varies from person to person but I find that nice models usually attract me to armies (corsairs for dark elves and the worrior models for dwarfs). But its a combination of fluff and playstye which keep me going with an army, that and price I'd love a O&G army but if GW think I'm paying £18 for ten orcs there mad :|.

mrtn
16-07-2011, 00:54
You don't have to have a Vampire. Try a Wight King!

They re-FAQed it, you must have a vampire. I share theJ's dislike of vampires, I'd like a skeleton army, but I'm not fond of either flavour available from GW. :(

colonel kane trine
16-07-2011, 01:05
I have pretty much had every army at one time or another. I had 30k of fantasy chaos through mad/lucky trades! Got bored with that and got rid of it all. Im lucky that I have finally found my army true loves-skaven and dark eldar!

Blaqkheart
16-07-2011, 05:12
This has happened to me too many times. I started off with Dark Elves, loved them, still do, but sold them for WoC. WoC got old quick so I sold them. Later I chose Skaven. really loved their play style, but the more I thought about their background and culture I got turned off by them. Then I looked deeply into myself and did hours(literally) of thinking about an army. I have chosen Bretonnia and currently have a 1500 pt force built. I am satisfied and believe this is the army for me. It may take a bit and a hit to the wallet, but you will find your army.

Lowmans
16-07-2011, 05:20
They re-FAQed it, you must have a vampire. I share theJ's dislike of vampires, I'd like a skeleton army, but I'm not fond of either flavour available from GW. :(

Oh, that sucks! :(

The number of people who want to try a Wight King or Necromancer General too.... :(

Gork or Possibly Mork
16-07-2011, 05:29
Ogres - bought the book, feeling the love, loved the artwork, etc, the stories - but when I bought the 5000 pt army and started assembling it I just lost the love....

Can't put my finger on it - but something was.....missing
So sold them off years later at a discounted price - now I stick to the Orcs & Goblins!

Flexibility would be my guess. Atleast that's why i've lost some interest with them. Still love 'em but too many damn restrictions=bland after a while.

Also with Greenskins were pretty spoiled in the flexibility department which makes them a whole lot of fun. You can constantly keep things fresh with the plethora of options we have. + Dey iz awzuum!:D

Zoring
16-07-2011, 06:18
You know none of you have said 'Empire' at all in armies that you have a 'feeling about' so go on lads, all of you know you want to.

vinush
16-07-2011, 06:30
I play empire. They're my warhammer true love.

theJ
16-07-2011, 07:03
You know none of you have said 'Empire' at all in armies that you have a 'feeling about' so go on lads, all of you know you want to.

I did.

I also said the reason I don't go with them is because of the pyjamas they insist on wearing.

sasheep
16-07-2011, 07:14
I did.

I also said the reason I don't go with them is because of the pyjamas they insist on wearing.

Yeah I will join you on that one, what happened to all the frills and puffiness (doubt that is a word) of the old models? They were awesome.

Freman Bloodglaive
16-07-2011, 07:20
I like the human armies, I started with Dogs of War, but with them basically being written out of the game (still legal, but very old) I switched to Empire. I like the feel of being a bunch of men fighting terrors that would cause most modern soldiers to crap themselves armed only with steel, gunpowder, and their faith in Sigmar.

Plus of course, like Orcs and Dark Elves they're an army that can do most anything and compete in any round of the game. Although Dwarfs are cool, an army that really only plays in the shooting and combat phases doesn't really appeal to me.

Storm of Magic has me looking at a small detachment from Sylvania led by Count Manfred.

Little Joe
16-07-2011, 07:31
I had that all the time and sometimes still do. Now I follow a strict three GW armies policy. Building and maintaining them will do for me. I ventured out into other games, so units may come out the way I would like them or some things without GW rules will get added, again because I like them.
Mostly I will invest in other games in between though, cheaper and a lot faster done.

I still have a few other pieces in my collection, some I want to make a diorama from, others I really should sell.

someone2040
16-07-2011, 08:46
I started an Empire, but got burned out on it. Too low points costs for the amount of effort needed in each miniature (All those details damnit). Plus I had this idea which required a large amount of converting, even on some of the rank and file troops. Yeah, didn't get that far.

I've learnt from it though, and that is
-> If I want to convert models, only do it on a few models in the army, and not a huge amount.
-> If you're going to paint cheap models, make sure they don't have lots of finicky little details (I like painting details, just not on 5 point troopers).

Desert Rain
16-07-2011, 13:13
Happens to me every time I consider a new army, which is good because I only have the money to support one army :)

Okuto
16-07-2011, 14:44
Not so much in fantasy as I'm contend with my armies but in 40k I'm always tempted to start a de army but then I look at the pricetag and then I shy away from it. I can't bear to pay those prices for a xeno version of my white scars and orkz

Zoring
16-07-2011, 15:10
Ah yes but Empire you can have any historical soldiery you want! If you want a de-skulled far better looking soldiery than GW figures you have Perry's fantastic (and cheap!) WOTR/1400-1500 range:
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/4238/577230111232410.jpg
And Foundry/Artizan Designs/Assault Group Renaissance German soldiery for people who want the puffs back!
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8762/img1746sr.jpg
See no reason not to start awesome Empire :P

hashrat
16-07-2011, 18:09
I finally made my mind up about the armies I want and have opted for Deamons and Lizardmen.

Lizardmen, as they were the only army, to wich I see no drawbacks.

Deamons, due to Storm of Chaos and pacts, I can buy some Deamon core troops, a character, the book and use them immediately and collect them at my leisure.
Seeing as pacts, allow me to field whatever I feel like buying (More or less).
Where as my Skaven and Lizardmen, aren't going to take part in games, till I have a worthwhile army of each, pacts allow me to grab a random box of Deamons every few weeks or months and turn them into a stand alone army almost incidentally, without the wait to build a full size army before using them.

Now if only I could win the lottery :)

Can someone, give me an idea of the size of army (points value), that I will need to field a Slann?
It will help me plan the army, as untill I purchase the Lizardmen book, I dont know the points values.
An estimate of the Lizardmen boxed set's, total points value would be appreciated too.
Thanks.

Blaqkheart
16-07-2011, 22:11
Can someone, give me an idea of the size of army (points value), that I will need to field a Slann?
It will help me plan the army, as untill I purchase the Lizardmen book, I dont know the points values.
An estimate of the Lizardmen boxed set's, total points value would be appreciated too.
Thanks.

You could download a PDF version of the armybook to plan the army, and once you have everything worked out buy the official book.

Gork or Possibly Mork
16-07-2011, 22:31
I finally made my mind up about the armies I want and have opted for Deamons and Lizardmen.

Lizardmen, as they were the only army, to wich I see no drawbacks.

Deamons, due to Storm of Chaos and pacts, I can buy some Deamon core troops, a character, the book and use them immediately and collect them at my leisure.
Seeing as pacts, allow me to field whatever I feel like buying (More or less).
Where as my Skaven and Lizardmen, aren't going to take part in games, till I have a worthwhile army of each, pacts allow me to grab a random box of Deamons every few weeks or months and turn them into a stand alone army almost incidentally, without the wait to build a full size army before using them.

Now if only I could win the lottery :)

Thanks.

Generally speaking i'd say anything above 2000(ish) pts for a Slann army.

Lizardmen do have some drawbacks mainly initiative and no super cheap infantry.

You could download a PDF version of the armybook to plan the army, and once you have everything worked out buy the official book.

He can also download armybuilder from wolfslair and the supplemental file for 8th WHFB.

Drasanil
16-07-2011, 23:00
I've had this problem. In fantasy I've had a small small army of high elves left over from 5th edd, and much larger one of dark elves. For the longest time I've been wanting to expanding my HE to match the size of my DE.

Unfortunately a few things have constantly held me back.

-1) I want a core heavy archer/spear forces, problem is the models are ugly as sin.
-2) 6th eddition had that stupid Intrigue Rule.... 7th fixed that but brought in the even dumber SoA rule.
-3) This gripe applies to my dark elves too, their core really should have heavy armour, just compare it to the rest of the 'light armoured' core models and it's ridiculous high and dark elf spearmen don't at least have the option to upgrade to heavy armour.

For 40k... I've been wanting to start a Cult of Ynnead style dark eldar army focussing around warriors and heamonculi. Basically mixing in the some regular craftworld stuff.

Problem there is, I'd likely need to use SC HQ choices to get the feel I want for my characters, namely Urien Rakarth who auto heals every turn, and Vect who can suck out souls... But I have a particular distate for using SCs.

EDIT/PS: For those VC fellows who don't like using vampires to lead your army. You could probably convert up a nice lich models and then just use the vamp lords rules with that armour that Lowers your Ws and I and boosts yout Toughness to make it fluffier, combined with caster upgrades could make a rather nicely themed lord.

Skywave
17-07-2011, 00:43
Ah yes but Empire you can have any historical soldiery you want! If you want a de-skulled far better looking soldiery than GW figures you have Perry's fantastic (and cheap!) WOTR/1400-1500 range:
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/4238/577230111232410.jpg
And Foundry/Artizan Designs/Assault Group Renaissance German soldiery for people who want the puffs back!
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8762/img1746sr.jpg
See no reason not to start awesome Empire :P

I've got the Perry's mini, and it's quite great for Empire troops! After trying out the new GW State Troops, I hated them so I looked for alternative and got these, and can't be happier! You can only make Halberdiers with them out of the box (along with Archers), but that's what I wanted and they look great :)

As for an army, my Empire is my third army, and I don't really want to start a fourth, time and space is already pretty much all taken by my other three thank you very much :p But I've looked semi-seriously at the Dark Elves as after playing Warhammer Online, my liking for the Dark Elves growed and I kinda wanted a Witch Elves/Khainites heavy force. I had a list written down with some basics idea for fluff, but the overall models isn't that great and Witch Elves and Executionners are metals, thus expensive. If anyone pump out great-looking Witch Elves type of unit (Mantic, Avatar of war, etc), then I might buy a box here and there, and over time I could have a smallish forces (500-1000pts).

hashrat
17-07-2011, 01:13
A special character for the DE (In no way overpowered) allows a 100% Witch Elf army.
And yeah, £ is the reason I havent got one yet :(

you would need around 1400 pts, for the army to be 'legal'

But given the lack of armour (even the special character has no save), only a loony would refuse to play against a fluffy, Witch Elf army, even if it wasn't 'legal'.

Wish I could find an alternative source for Witch Elves, I like the GW range, but special choices are vastly over priced.

Do it! Come over to the dark side, we have Hydras :-D

Skywave
17-07-2011, 01:29
Ha ha, I'm not interested in Hydra(s) or the monster side of the DE :P I played a Witch Elf in Warhammer Online so I'm much more attracted to those because of that :)

I'm aware of the special Character, but I tend to ignore those and don't play with them. I'm fine with WE being in special only, I could include some Corsairs as core; the models are ace, and my little fluff blurb would be a small force raiding the coasts around the Old World (since we seems to need a constant stream of slaves), so some Corsairs seems to fit in there too :) But outside the Corsair and characters, other units are either pricy or ugly, so meh :(

Tayrod
17-07-2011, 15:08
Dwarves are like that for me, too inflexible and lacking in variety.

Looking at Dwarves, the £65 for 20 slayers pricetag, scares me off, I see no models that I really want etc.

Not to feed your addiction or anything but (as Im sure you might already know) Avatar of War makes some relatively cheap Dwarf Slayers ;)

As for me, Im somewhat of a hobby butterfly myself, I think I on average start a new army every 8 months, build it up to about 1,5 k - 2k points, and then get intrested in something else. This behaviour might actually help me in Storm of Magic though, as I have a wide portofolio of monsters and units to chose from in my binding/seven seals selection.

carlbosson
18-07-2011, 23:34
Okay! So I haven“t even started building an army and I already lost the feeling for HoC....
So now I try to find something new thats entertaining.
Maybe Lizard men or Tomb kings what are you people having for opinions about these teams?
P.S. I“m mostly looking for a really over powered tema... lol D.S.

dimetri1
19-07-2011, 00:13
I went through the same thing years ago when Tomb Kings came out. Really wanted to like them. but found them boring to play and sold them six months later on e-bay.