PDA

View Full Version : Ogres vs Fateweaver, 2500pnts

Lukasz_VT
16-07-2011, 02:28
"Right then younglings, quit yer squabbles and listen up! Roast your bonemarrows on the fire and I'll tell yer about a mighty scrap. Twas several winters back. The weather had been harsh and food was scarce. We was all well hungry - that is, even more hungry than usual! The weather wasn't, y'know... natural. Great storms had raged far to the north. Lightning of all colours lit the sky. Sometimes the clouds was blood red, other times an eerie green. Goulash the Butcher said he felt it was a storm of MAGIC!

Well, the Boss was mighty riled and peckish, so he gathered us bulls and headed to North to find out what this fuss was all about. By the time we made it to where the storm was, it'd all died down. There was still a load of critters about that had come out for the lightshow, so we went to.. y'know... say hello..."

My list

Tyrant with ironfist, crown of command, trickster's helm, mawseeker, heavy armour (with Bulls)

Slaughtermaster with hellheart, talisman of preservation and luck gnoblar (with Bulls)

BSB with wyrdstone necklace, mawseeker, great weapon and heavy armour (with Ironguts)

Butcher with dispel scroll (with Ironguts)

17 Bulls with standard, bellower and lookout gnoblar

13 Ironguts with full command, runemaw and lookout gnoblar

20 Gnoblars

Scraplauncher

Opponent's list

Not to sure about items as he was cagey about telling me!

Kairos Fateweaver

Herald of Khorne

Herald of Tzeench

50 Bloodletters with full command and banner of crazy charge distance

8 Bloodcrushers with at least champion

Around 40 Horrors with the Changeling

Pre-game thoughts

Super spells are the big weakness of my Ogre hordes, and Kairos knows 14 spells, including pit of shades, purple sun, gateway and dwellers bellow! At least he doesn't know the dreaded 13th ;) Knowing this weakness, I decided to try out the hellheart for the first time this game. This item is one use and is used at the start of the opponents magic phase. Any casting rolls including any doubles result in a miscast using the Gut Magic miscast table. I figured that if I could lock down a key magic phase early in the game, then I could get to an opponent's lines and start causing trouble. I was very glad to have it for this opponent!

Mission and deployment

We rolled dawn attack. He deployed first and had his bloodletters with herald in the centre, whom Kairos took cover behind (from my shooting?). The bloodcrushers were stuck out on my right and the horrors with their herald were on my left flank, close to the bloodletters and behind a building. There was a sorcerous portal in the middle of the left side of the board. I had to place my bull horde on the left, then the ironguts in the middle (deployed 3*5 with BSB and butcher displaced to the 2nd rank by the command), with the gnoblars between the two Ogre units and the scraplauncher on a hill to the right of the ironguts. There was other scenery on the board, but it never had any effect on the game. For most of the game, the portal didn't affect anything - I'll only mention when it did.

I managed to roll the 6 needed to go first! My BSB took a wound from the wyrdstone necklace (that's what you get from cheap 5+ ward items!).

Ogres 1

Stupidity checks due to mawseeker were passed by the Tyrant and BSB and the gnoblars didn't bicker. The Ironguts moved up about 10", placing them 14" from the bloodletters. I thought this would mean he would need a 9 on 2 dice to charge them in their turn, banking on them failing, but being in range for my charge in my next turn. The bull horde marched 12" and wheeled about 35 degrees to get around the building, which the horrors were behind, letting my get at the bloodletters in the future. The gnoblars marched their 8" to be in range to be runemaw fodder, should the ironguts get targeted by magic.

In my magic phase, I got toothcracker (+1T and stubborn) on both the bulls and the ironguts, but everything else was dispelled. Still, I was happy! The scraplauncher killed a whopping 2 bloodletters.

Demons 1

He declared a charge on my ironguts with his bloodletters and revealed he had a banner allowing him to add D6 to the total - AAAGH! He made it - 50 bloodletters vs 15 ogres, each 5 ranks deep. Kairos flew to the flank of the ironguts, looking down my line of massed fatties (gulp). The horrors reformed to get a line of sight on the bull horde peeking round the edge of the building. The bloodcrushers started a long trek across the board to where the action was likely to be.

I was thinking that, with all these wizards he had, hopefully the winds of magic would be a lame fart and he'd struggle to get anything off. He rolled double 6. I declared that Goulash the slaughtermaster was chowing down on the hellheart (didn't wound me). This certainly made my opponent think twice. He cast flickering flame on my bulls and did 7 wounds, felling 2 ogres. First blood to the demons! He then threw caution to the winds of magic and rolled 6 dice into a boosted purple sun and rolled five 4s and a 6. I used my dispel scroll, but he had to roll on my miscast table. He rolled a 2, which meant that Kairos Fateweaver, who knows 14 spells, was unable to cast ANYTHING for the rest of the game! Unlucky for my opponent, but I was very relieved.

In combat, his bloodletters, filled with their hatred, went to town on the ironguts and did 11 wounds (I was T5 thanks to toothcracker), killing 3 and leaving another on 1 wound. They slammed their clubs back at the khornate demons and stomped on them, but still lost combat. Fortunately, due to toothcracker, I was stubborn and passed my Ld test.

Ogres 2

The Tyrant led the horde of bulls in a charge into the flank of the horde of bloodletters, the gnoblars decided fighting themselves was a better prospect than fighting the big red angry things. Magic was a wash. The scraplauncher missed.

In combat, my Tyrant issued a challenge, which was declined! Khorne would surely be displeased! The herald went and stood in a corner in disgrace. Three ironguts and a bull were hacked down, but the ogres were not to be outdone by thinlings, even thinlings from another dimension! The bloodletters lost combat by 12. My opponent then rolled double 6 for his Ld check and the remainder of the unit vanished back into the warp, leaving some confused ogres, who were hoping for a meal. The bulls reformed to face straight at his board edge, hoping for a charge around the building in the next turn if the horrors didn't move. The ironguts held position.

Demons 2

Kairos flew behind the bulls, in the flank of the gnoblars. The horrors backed up behind the building and the bloodcrushers marched to get nearer to the ironguts. For magic, I dispelled throne of vines and he dispelled both toothcrackers and cast flesh to stone on his horrors.

Ogres 3

I measured and found the ironguts to be 12" out from the bloodcrushers and the bulls were 17" out. Not wanting to leave the ironguts vulnerable, now 9 strong including characters, I decided to charge both into the bloodcrushers. The ironguts easily made their roll of 6, but the bulls, fired up after the slaughter and still looking for a good snack, made the 11" roll to get in as well. Magic was ueventful, but the scraplauncher landed a direct hit on the horrors and killed 8 (that 4+ ward is really good). This reduced them to a level 3 wizard. Predictably, the bloodcrushers were minced and both ogre units reformed to face directly at the left board edge, where the horrors were.

Demons 3

Kairos, very angry at being denied his great magical knowledge and ability, decided to vent his fury on the hapless gnoblars. They could have held him up for a while, but Kairos has a good war-face and the gnoblars ran in terror, only to be cut down as they ran. This, however, left Kairos directly in front of the scraplauncher. I dispelled throne of vines in the magic phase again and very little else happened.

Ogres 4

The scraplauncher failed it's disgruntled roll and charged into Kairos. The ironguts and bulls marched forwards. Nothing happened in the magic phase. The scraplauncher rolled a 6 for its impact hits and caused 4 wounds, but all were saved on Kairos' 3+ ward. It then failed it's fear check (the scraplauncher causes fear itself, so terror was downgraded to fear) and the gnoblars on board and the rhinox flailed around ineffectually, as did Kairos. However, the chosen of Tzeench did take a wound from the combat resolution as I'd charged!

Demons 4

The horrors got flesh to stone in the magic phase and combat remained a draw.

Ogres 5

The ironguts make a charge into Kairos and the bulls charge the horrors. At this point, I find out the changeling is kicking around in the the pink and blue brigade. I issued a challenge with my slaughtermaster and the changeling accepted, switching his stats with those of Goulash (fortunately not my wounds stat!). I dispelled flesh to stone and put toothcracker on the bulls. Kairos got clobbered back into the warp by the charging ironguts. The fight between the bulls and the horrors continued into the last turn of the game, thanks to the mighty 4+ ward of the Tzeench demons and lots of helpful buffs from the sorcerous portal (e.g. speed of light, wildform), but they eventually were all banished back to the Raven Lord.

Post-game thoughts

Again, large units of Ogres proved very tough, both in their damage output and ability to soak up punishment. My opponent had 40 VP from the gnoblars - the points denial tactic is very strong. Having the crown of command and toothcracker to make these big blocks stubborn is very helpful for those times when they are outclassed initially (such as a charge by Settra and a load of chariots in my previous game - that's a lot of impact hits!).

I was very pleased with the hellheart; both the psychological affect on my opponent, and the miscast that nulified a 625 point magical gattling gun of a Demon special character. I will continue to test it, but it seems a good idea to include it at larger game sizes to help the fatties make it to combat.

I am very much looking forward to a new army book with a greater variety of viable units, which will hopefully give fun alternatives to hording and steam-rolling. It is too hard to resist doing so in competitive games, but it is rather dull.

My opponent had some unlucky rolls, with Kairos getting a result that neutered him in his first turn after his first spell - there was a 1/3 chance that his miscast result would effectively take him out of play. He would have had frenzy if he rolled a 6, but my opponent didn't like the idea of that much either ;) He made two rolls of double 6 for stability checks after combats that lost him a ton of bloodletters and horrors. However, with the situation the bloodletters got in, they were doomed in the next turn or so.

Some of them was red as dying fire and had little horns and were real angry and gave us a good fight! A lot of the bosses ironguts got chopped up good! When the boss charged in to put the boot in, they all just disappeared! There was a great birdlike creature that was flappin' around and had a dead fancy stick. He obviously knew his magic, but the Great Maw stepped in and saved us from 'is tricks by eatin' the spells right out of his head, or heads... one wasn't enough for that one! All that walkin' and fightin' and all we had to eat were the gnoblars...

Seabo
16-07-2011, 06:17
Well played!
I have never actually used the Helheart and it's been quite a while since I've actually played Ogres as well. Maybe will have to play a couple games with them again before the new book.
I do agree with you about the big horde tactics. Extremely tough to crack but rather boring lol. But, sadly, MSU with Ogres is just begging to get smacked around.
Oh well...
Looking forward to more :D

Noght
16-07-2011, 14:55
Well done. Always nice to see the Demons kicked around.

Two things: Not sure if a Khorne character can decline a challenge and you can't dispel Flesh to Stone during your phase (it's an augment, not RIP).

Nice job with the Hellheart, might be worth it in all big battles with Ogres as it covers a potential hole in your army.

Noght

Lukasz_VT
16-07-2011, 16:46
Well played!
I have never actually used the Helheart and it's been quite a while since I've actually played Ogres as well. Maybe will have to play a couple games with them again before the new book.
I do agree with you about the big horde tactics. Extremely tough to crack but rather boring lol. But, sadly, MSU with Ogres is just begging to get smacked around.
Oh well...
Looking forward to more :D

Thanks Seabo! Yeah I'm trying to get games in with the fatties before the new book lands. You should definitely play with them more, as I really enjoy your reports :D

In my experience MSU ogres will not have enough ogres left to cause any real damage by the time they see combat - units need to be at least 9 strong, as at least 3 go down before the fun starts.

Well done. Always nice to see the Demons kicked around.

Two things: Not sure if a Khorne character can decline a challenge and you can't dispel Flesh to Stone during your phase (it's an augment, not RIP).

Nice job with the Hellheart, might be worth it in all big battles with Ogres as it covers a potential hole in your army.

Noght

Thanks Noght, I did query the declining of the challenge, but trusted my opponents knowledge - I don't think he was trying to pull anything, but I will remember for future. Good to know about flesh to stone as well, I guess, being an Ogre player, I assume all buffs are RIP :)

The Medicant
16-07-2011, 23:46
Hey, great battle report !
Love the trick pulled on fateweaver, but would it have completely stop him from casting ? Just that both heads count as seperate wizards, so only that head being used would have suffered the ogre miscast and could have continued casting with the second head ? Just a query as I play fateweaver and becoming quite used to miscast ;)

Lukasz_VT
17-07-2011, 01:00
Hey, great battle report !
Love the trick pulled on fateweaver, but would it have completely stop him from casting ? Just that both heads count as seperate wizards, so only that head being used would have suffered the ogre miscast and could have continued casting with the second head ? Just a query as I play fateweaver and becoming quite used to miscast ;)

I'm not sure on Fateweaver's rules. The miscast result says the spellcaster is unable to cast for the remainder of the game. I thought it said in Fateweaver's rules he counts as a single lvl 4? Don't tell my opponent if not, he might crap himself in frustration. At any rate, only that head was the major problem, knowing purple sun and pit of shades, both using I tests - dwellers is less of a problem, being a strength test.

w3rm
17-07-2011, 02:26
Yup two level 4 wizards on one charachter. Pure nastyness :D

PeG
18-07-2011, 12:39
As others have said Kairos is two lvl4 wizards so he should have been able to cast.

As for one of the other questions it is only warriors of chaos that have to accept challenges and also in that case the WoC player has the choice of which character that should accept. Daemons can say no if they want to although my experience is that most daemon characters are usually safer in a challenge then they are outside.

Lukasz_VT
18-07-2011, 15:18
As others have said Kairos is two lvl4 wizards so he should have been able to cast.

As for one of the other questions it is only warriors of chaos that have to accept challenges and also in that case the WoC player has the choice of which character that should accept. Daemons can say no if they want to although my experience is that most daemon characters are usually safer in a challenge then they are outside.

I guess, on the Kairos thing, there's two sides to the whole "you don't know my rules" thing you get when the opponent hasn't bought army books for armies they don't own. You get to surprise them, but they can't help you out with things you forget :)

SevenSins
23-07-2011, 17:10
nice fight, kairos without spells that's hilarious and unlike a regular lord of change he ain't much of a fighter :)