PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Kingdoms- 2K, advice needed...

BigbyWolf
18-07-2011, 14:55
Tyrant- Wizarding Hat, Heavy Armour, Ironfist- 318

Butcher- Dispel Scroll, 2x Tooth Gnoblars- 165

Brusier BSB- Heavy Armour, Great Weapon, Talisman of Protection- 212

Total- 695

10 Ironguts- Standard, Lookout, Runemaw- 525 (Tyrant & BSB)

6 Bulls- Musician, Standard- 240

5 Bulls- Full Command, Lookout- 230 (Butcher)

40 Gnoblars- 80

8 Trappers- 48

Total- 1123

Total so far- 1818.

I'm currently stuck on the Tyrants normal gear, I've gone with the 'fist for extra protection/ bonus attack if needed, with the Bruiser in the unit for higher strength attacks and extra defence to act as bodyguard if needed, but I'm wondering if a Great Weapon is better for the tyrant?

Also not sure what I should spend the rest of the points on, the options I've considered are:

Gorger & 2 Leadbelchers

2 Gorgers

Slave Giant

Scrap Launcher

Any advice?

Mercules
18-07-2011, 15:35
The Ogre Tyrant is one of the better combat characters in the game. You can also only every take one in an army. Thus it seems less than ideal to turn him into a crappy wizard at the cost of loosing combat potential.

I think you might find you will want 7 models per ogre unit as that will allow for casualties in combat and still striking back with most of your forces. Musicians are also very handy on such large units to aid in maneuverability.

A Scrap Launcher is a really great thing while I find Leadbelchers tend to do almost as much damage to themselves as they do to the enemy. You would think they were Skaven. Slave Giant makes a great magnet for ranged attacks and magic if you want that. Gorgers come in later and so are not great at what many consider to be their role, Warmachine hunting, but are good for messing up another player's plans on Turn 3-5.

What use do you foresee for the Tooth Gnoblars? They can't stop you from breaking concentration and +1 on a Level 2 Wizard just isn't all that much if someone brings a Level 4.

Gooner
18-07-2011, 20:22
Ya i wouldnt ever use the wizarding hat, you will need to get buffs off and wasting dice in the magic phase is not great.

Slave Giants are about as useless for killing things as anything in the game. They are absolutly the worst model in the game rules wise, BUT people dont seem to realise this. I find he soaks up a ton of firepower as people try to bring him down , letting my ogres get into combat unharmed.

Scrap launcher I have mixed luck with, but most of that is unlucky scatter rolls. They can move and fire a pretty cool large template, plus they are still very tough in combat.

Leadbelchers are so bad its rediculouse. Your unit of 2 would probably misfire and cause themselves to panic.

Gorgers I find never come on in time. Ogres normaly get into combat on turn two, three at the latest. So right about the time the enemy cant shoot them with warmachines anymore. Plus I always even forget to bring them on ><

Deffinitly try to get another Butcher in but with the BSB im not sure if the points will work out.

Mercules
18-07-2011, 21:40
I've killed things with Slave Giants. The issue is they are very random and hard to get the results you want and need, when you need it. Rolling, "Win the Combat by 2 CR" against a Steadfast unit after taking 4 wounds from the unit and facing a dead giant next turn is frustration most people don't want.

Scraplauncher is pretty solid, a good way to use it is to either keep it near the Tyrant so you test on Ld9 or keep it behind some Gnoblars so it can't charge and so doesn't need to test. It can still see and fire over the Gnoblars easily.

Gorgers do have a use but it is NOT to deal with Shooting/Warmachines. I use mine to tie up units that are trying to flank me or to add the +2 Rear CR(plus whatever wounds they do) in critical combats or as a diversion. I've had (poor) players spin entire units or turn all their warmachines on a single Gorger as it came on the board and save me more than the 75 points they get for killing off the Gorger.

One of my favorites was when I charged a second unit in the Rear turn 2 that was keeping away from my Ogres. Now I had him pinned and I let the Gorger just chew things up while holding back the Ogres to hold off yet ANOTHER unit that he was holding in reserve to flank charge me. He could turn to face the Gorger and his lowly Rank and File wasn't doing much damage to the Gorger while it ate 3 each turn and kept forcing Steadfast Ld 8 tests on him till he failed. Then I went after the other unit with the Ogres.

BigbyWolf
22-07-2011, 18:49
The Ogre Tyrant is one of the better combat characters in the game. You can also only every take one in an army. Thus it seems less than ideal to turn him into a crappy wizard at the cost of loosing combat potential.

Why the hat? Mainly because it's a bit of fun, and he's a decent enough combat character anyway. That, and I've also already made him a nice hat to wear (all I need now is someone skilled enough to free-hand "Wizzard" onto it...)

I think you might find you will want 7 models per ogre unit as that will allow for casualties in combat and still striking back with most of your forces. Musicians are also very handy on such large units to aid in maneuverability.

Hmmm, well my current Ogre collection stands at 12 Bulls, 8 Ironguts, 2 random old models that do well as either, and 8 Lead Belchers (with enough scraps to convert the LBs to either Bulls or Guts). I've played very little OK in 8th (and was MSU in 7th), so the new unit sizes tend to throw me a bit (along with the "three command in front, characters behind" setup).

Bearing in mind the numbers of Ogres I have, what would the best combination on numbers be for them?

A Scrap Launcher is a really great thing while I find Leadbelchers tend to do almost as much damage to themselves as they do to the enemy. You would think they were Skaven. Slave Giant makes a great magnet for ranged attacks and magic if you want that. Gorgers come in later and so are not great at what many consider to be their role, Warmachine hunting, but are good for messing up another player's plans on Turn 3-5.

So the highest recommendation from that list is the 'launcher? I'm happy with that, as I've just recently bought one!

What use do you foresee for the Tooth Gnoblars? They can't stop you from breaking concentration and +1 on a Level 2 Wizard just isn't all that much if someone brings a Level 4.

That's just it really, a little boost if I'm up against level 2s.

Slave Giants are about as useless for killing things as anything in the game. They are absolutly the worst model in the game rules wise, BUT people dont seem to realise this. I find he soaks up a ton of firepower as people try to bring him down , letting my ogres get into combat unharmed.

That's what my giants tend to do nowadays anyway. Mobile pincushions...

Deffinitly try to get another Butcher in but with the BSB im not sure if the points will work out.

That's the problem, I can only fit 2 Heros in the limit...

The only other option is to have a Slaughtermaster in there instead of the Butcher, but then my characters (which are already pricey) start to fill up even more of my army...

Morax
22-07-2011, 21:09
If you are wanting to make the tyrant more killy you could go with a cathayn long sword instead of the ironfist. +1 attack, weapon skill, initiative, always sounds good to me. And since it doesn't say replace you get to keep the armor pen too. All in all a solid plus.

cool-kid-on-the-block
22-07-2011, 22:58
cathayan longswords give you AP, initiative and weapon skill so effectively initiative and weapon skill as the club already gives you AP. pretty poor imo for a tyrants weapon. i enjoy the great weapon that does D3 wounds as it is a suprise when your greatweapon wielding tyrant absoultely blats those stegadons that think they can take your tyrants unit.

also the scrap launcher is one of the best choices imo and should be taken in most ogre armies anyway. they act simmilar to a hellcannon in that they drop sometimes devestating templates on you and also bat off conventional warmachine hunters with ease.