PDA

View Full Version : skink chief fighter builds

meanmachine
19-07-2011, 10:16
I am making a skink army and i wold like to get some good ideas for skink chief builds.

any will help.

just thought i would try and get some experience from others

so far the only use i can see for a skin chief is a stegadon war spear, but for the points i would probably be better of taking a priest on engine of the gods

lovedinplaster
19-07-2011, 14:15
I've tried fielding a hero/ lord heavy lizzy army once. Skink priest, slann, old blood on cold one, two skink chief's on terradons and a saurus vet on foot.. None of these characters joined unit other than the slann.

I don't have my list, but one terradon rider was wielding staff of the sun gods for 3X str 5 shots on war machines and lone characters.. I'll find my list and make an edit soon

WarmbloodedLizard
19-07-2011, 15:42
sadly, skink chiefs are pretty useless except as stegadon-spear caddies.

bigbear bailey
19-07-2011, 15:55
yeah other then the spear and the 3 str 5 shot thing they cant do much else

MOMUS
19-07-2011, 18:49
I run a southlands army, I use my skink chief as an 'extra item holder' usually the bloodspite statuette. L armour and a shield nothing more, cheap and cheerful with the possibility of killing someone important. Once he has used the statue he will slink around the enemy lines looking for something to stab with poison.

Check out my bat rep log for some southlands action.

thesheriff
19-07-2011, 22:06
In small games (like 1k), i used to run; Staff of the Sun, charmed shield, light armour. Walk around in a blowpipe unit and pick off charecetrs/warmachines.

Im not a fan of the spear anyways. 105 extra pts for an extra chouple of skink attacks and an extra d6 impact. I could take a priest w. cube of darkness for that.

thesheriff

Arli
20-07-2011, 01:20
I like to take several chiefs in an all skink army (baring the slann though). Anyway, I will equip one with the fencer blades. That guy took out a vampire lord in one game that I played. I usually take 2 or three chiefs to make sure that they can get the most out of combat (cause they still go down pretty fast). You almost have to take lore of life or light to make them work. I believe the one that took out a vampire lord was buffed with lore of light.

I usually take a gold sigil sword as well. Maybe even one with the Armor of Destiny (for the 4+ ward).

warplock
20-07-2011, 09:52
I like to take several chiefs in an all skink army (baring the slann though). Anyway, I will equip one with the fencer blades. That guy took out a vampire lord in one game that I played

Do you remember what happened? The fencers blades means he hits on 3+ and is hit back on 4+, with +1 attack, I believe. But he's still wounding on 5+ and being wounded on 2+, striking last, and has 1 less wound and no options for protection unlike the Vampire. Must have been one unlucky Vamp!

Spiney Norman
20-07-2011, 12:06
There is only one viable skink chieftain build, it is:

Skink Chieftain
Stegadon warspear, stegadon ancient.

Skink characters are among the worst in the game, they are about as good as goblin characters, but move slightly faster, which somehow warrents them being twice as many points...

ewar
20-07-2011, 12:21

Skink Chieftain

Skink characters are among the worst in the game, they are about as good as goblin characters, but move slightly faster, which somehow warrents them being twice as many points...

That's slightly unfair on them - they can ride terradons and are the only flying characters able to join flying units, plus they're cold blooded; all of which is worth a small premium (but I agree not as much as they currently cost).

I haven't tried a chief in 8th, but I regularly ran one in 7th when terradons were more useful. I've been thinking that for SOM the little fella might make a comeback.

Terradon, sword of striking, LA, charmed shield, other tricksters shard and use him to get low level wizards on fulcrums. Also planning to run a unit of terries to drop rocks on wizards as well, as that ability hasn't been useful in 8th so far, with the growth in unit sizes.

Don Zeko
20-07-2011, 13:37

Skink Chieftain

Goblin characters have toughness 4 and can take great weapons.

oCoYoRoAoKo
20-07-2011, 13:52
Can't you make a skink the BSB? If i recall there is a skink-chief-only banner that makes all models in the unit Frenzied. If that were attached to say...some sarus...

warplock
20-07-2011, 14:00
Can't you make a skink the BSB? If i recall there is a skink-chief-only banner that makes all models in the unit Frenzied. If that were attached to say...some sarus...

...then the Skink with T3, 2 wounds and no armour save would die in the first round of combat. But it can't be attached to Saurus anyway.

N810
20-07-2011, 14:16
Skink chiefs are a but tougher than regular skinks, kinda like a cheaper scar-vet.

Mostly they are useful for the mounts and special weapons they can take.

warplock
20-07-2011, 14:23
Skink chiefs are a but tougher than regular skinks, kinda like a cheaper scar-vet.

That's like saying a Goblin hero is like a cheaper Black Orc. There's no comparison - one's a solid, steel-sinewed slugger, and the other's a weedy weakling who'd do well to weedle out of warfare.

Arli
21-07-2011, 00:16
Do you remember what happened? The fencers blades means he hits on 3+ and is hit back on 4+, with +1 attack, I believe. But he's still wounding on 5+ and being wounded on 2+, striking last, and has 1 less wound and no options for protection unlike the Vampire. Must have been one unlucky Vamp!

I am pretty sure that he was buffed up with Pha's protection and maybe some other stuff. I was really suprised that he took out the Vampire. However, the Vampire player hardly ever played his Vampires. He could have played it wrong.

w3rm
21-07-2011, 02:08
Skink Chief
Terradon
Potion of Strength
Sword of Swift Slaying

Only thing i can possibly see working maybe knocking a wound off of a wizard or something....

SteelTitan
22-07-2011, 07:17
Ive had fun and pretty decent success with this build:

- Terradon
- Light Armour
- Shield
- Blowpipe
- Dragon Helm
- Piranha Blade
- Potion of Foolhardiness

Usually I deploy him in a unit of terradons for added protection. Now that I think of it, the unit consists of 4 models, which wouldn't even give him a 'look out sir' because of the 5+ requirement, right?

Anyway, he's a nifty assassin, able to take out a wizard in one round due to the piranha blade. Managed it twice in 4 games so far. The potion is a nice gimmick for when you want to hold in a bit longer.

Trains_Get_Robbed
22-07-2011, 08:01
Goblin characters have toughness 4 and can take great weapons.

It is pretty funny that Skink Chiefs are more overcosted and worse off than their fellow obscure green friends XD

I chuckle everytime I see this title from the tactics lobby to be honest, however even the best bulid the Warspear skink is still overcosted and medicore at best. :/

The best option may be the ASF and a Strength Potion, Charmed Shield/ Gamblers Armor and Sword of Striking? (+1 to hit -so he hits on 2's since he already has a high I- on a Terradon in a unit of terradons (for lookoutsirs) for W.M hunting, changing the kit on the chief to your liking, but keeping the purpose the same; W.M death adn lvl 2 mage sniping.