PDA

View Full Version : Terminator Chaplain Wip (nmm)

razza
06-04-2006, 14:53
i've just started painting this guy, i went for nmm on this one again.
the tabbard, bionic eye, hands, chain and purity seals are green stuff.
i wanted to change the pose of the fig, i think it's going well...
any comments etc are welcome!
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/chaplaincombined.jpg

Brother Vidius
06-04-2006, 14:56
This has got to be one of the best attempts at NMM I've seen.A fantastic job.

AventineCrusader
06-04-2006, 14:58
Thats some really nice NMM and I love what you've done with the pose. Your skills are impressive...

Crusader:D

Rabid Bunny 666
06-04-2006, 15:02
another awesome NMM bit there, same recipie as the Elf?

nice and smoothly done, it looks awesome so far

Sojourner
06-04-2006, 15:07
The gold is absolutely fantastic, but the crozius head looks more like stone, if I'm honest. It doesn't have enough shine - it seems that small intricate objects need falsely accentuated shine to look realistic compared to simpler objects of similar size.

razza
06-04-2006, 15:08
no, the colours are different, the gold....
* snakebite
* snakebite + bleached
* bleached
* terracotta (shade)
* black (shade)
* white (sharp H/L)
* yellow glaze

McMullet
06-04-2006, 15:09
That shoulderpad is not NMM. Surely. That's actual metal...

The Crozius is excellently done, but to me it looks more like it's grey than metallic (thought that may be the picture). But the brass... Dear Lord.

razza
06-04-2006, 15:12
ok, i'll add some more 'BLING!' to the silver, cheers!:)

neXus6
06-04-2006, 15:27
The shoulder pad really is just amazing.

firestorm40k
06-04-2006, 15:39
Superb model, it looks fantastic before you've done a great deal of painting on it! :cool: I shall watch this one with interest... :D

Brush your teeth
06-04-2006, 15:52
that is very very good. although i would say the silver does look a tad grey. i cant do NMM but would a bit more blue improve it?

Kotobuki
06-04-2006, 15:54
The quality of the painting, as previously said, is fantastic. His arms though are another story entirely. The shoulder of his right arm goes well over the top of his head (not including the pauldron). The top of his left shoulder barely even reaches the bottom of his ear. You might want to work on that.

razza
06-04-2006, 15:56
it would be cool if you guys could suggest a basing idea for me, i don't want to plonk him on a bit of slate as usual!:)
this fig will be sold when he is done, so should i leave the shoulder pad blank or paint it as a generic chaplain (imp eagle maybe?)
any help would be cool. cheers!

McMullet
06-04-2006, 16:23
The quality of the painting, as previously said, is fantastic. His arms though are another story entirely. The shoulder of his right arm goes well over the top of his head (not including the pauldron). The top of his left shoulder barely even reaches the bottom of his ear. You might want to work on that.
I noticed that too, as did one of my office mates.

I assume you're flogging this guy on eBay, so why not just say that painting the other shoulderpad in the chapter colours nominated by the wining bidder is included in the price?

Yodhrin
06-04-2006, 17:04
Very nice, one of the few attempts at NMM Ive liked.

Is there a guide somewhere on how you sculpted the chains? Those are one of my big sticking points with sculpting.

Zactar
06-04-2006, 17:16
Love it, absolutely Lovely.....
I might try out your NMM guide some time. I'll keep watching

Anvils Hammer
06-04-2006, 17:21
very very nice, Im gonna have to try some of this NMM, and mess it up horrible, but ah well.

does anyone know if NMM on warseer battlebarge marines is discoraged?

back on topic, I really like the shoulder repositioning, its gone someway toward correcting the rubbish scaleing and shape of terminator armour (eg look at me my shoulders are above my head and my thighs are the same thickness as my wrists!)

very cool, could you do a slightly more detailed guide as to how you did the NMM, youve mentioned colours you used, did you mix these colours to layer, or build up the effect gradually with stupidly watered down glazes?

VtrAxx
06-04-2006, 17:33
Was Wondering whats your NMM Silver reciepe and when you state your (eg. in your NMM gold reciepe)colours do you blend from one colour to the next? and when you shade do you apply to the crevices and blend?

Sorry but i was kind of confused.
Thanks
Vtraxx Out

Yorkiebar
06-04-2006, 18:11
I hate you. :p

*breaks down and cries because he'll never paint that well*

That is great painting, however the right shoulderpad seems very high, even ignoring the tall gold edge.

McMullet
07-04-2006, 11:13
back on topic, I really like the shoulder repositioning, its gone someway toward correcting the rubbish scaleing and shape of terminator armour (eg look at me my shoulders are above my head and my thighs are the same thickness as my wrists!)
It would work well if both shoulders were repositioned downwards. It's the difference in height that looks wrong.

-Mysterious
07-04-2006, 11:18
Could you please do a tutorial on how to paint the NMM (silver), please I would like to try it.

Very excellent standard,
Everything looks nice, although is that melta barrel crooked?

dark angel
07-04-2006, 11:23
Awsome looking forward to seeing the finished product

razza
07-04-2006, 13:04
i see what you mean about the shoulder pads, the thing is that the arms are pinned on at the plug in points on the figure (not my fault ;) ).
the arms on the fig are at the same height, its one of the pads that is a different shape to the other (the right one). i did check this after it was pointed out. if i move it down he will be able to touch his feet standing up!:)
as for the melta, it's plastic and not crooked in any way (probably my crappy pics!)

the nmm silver was-
* shadow grey
* codex grey
* fortress grey
* shadow + black shade (wash)
* black shade (wash)
* white H/L

after some comments i will give the nmm silver a turquoise wash. BLING!
more pics soon i hope! thanks all!

matthew5276
04-05-2006, 17:53
Have you got anymore updated pics of this.

All the best,

Matt.

HPD_Andy
04-05-2006, 18:14
Nice all around.

krzywy
04-05-2006, 19:39
I'm inspired. I haven't seen such a good looking chaplain for two years aprox. :]

Well done

razza
04-05-2006, 20:18
sorry guys, this is still on the desk, i've been very busy on commission work.
i'll get it done soon. (i think) :)

Mortare
04-05-2006, 21:32
Excellent work, but how long does it take to paint and convert a fig like that?

Pertinax
05-05-2006, 20:12
An idea for the base: As the figure will be quite dark, what about mounting him in a snowy environment?

tzeentchgiant
06-05-2006, 00:21
McMullet: I think that th arms are ok with reference to one another, it's just the painted one has a far larger armour casing around it, line it up on screen across the body with a pencil, you'll see what I mean (it's no worse than any other termie).

Anvils Hammer: NMM is not discouraged on BB minis, paint them how you like, although originally it wasn't the organisers fondest choice, it's down to the user how he chooses to paint the model.

Razza: You've done it again :p.

Base wise? Why not go for a wrecked piece of metal, loads of nice rust and grime to get your teeth into, and it would contrast the chaplain fantastically (so long as it's a simple not to overpowering piece).

TG

icebergman
06-05-2006, 00:22
Holy Hell Batman!!! That is frikkin awesome!

razza
06-05-2006, 00:54
thanks for the basing ideas, keep them coming i'm very bad at ideas for basing display figs. best one wins!:D

HiveFleetEzekial
06-05-2006, 03:20
very nice first pic.. good going on the NMM.. but how bout some update pics, with the advice/tips you've used since the first post. we wanna see how this thing's comming along :)

Scorpio
06-05-2006, 03:39
That Chappy looks really sweet. Really really nice...

-Scorpio

Serpent
06-05-2006, 05:31
Well, from the pics I'd say that it is one of the very few NMM pieces I've liked. The gold/brass is stunning. Too bad the rest isn't done, so we can see the finished result...

Concerning the base: how about a plains or woods type of base? grass, long weeds, perhaps in autumn colours? Reds, yellows, leafs flying around. That would set off nicely againts the overall black armour. I'm almost talking myself into trying this on my next army here...

Serpent

Alaitoc
06-05-2006, 07:57
:eek: man, that's good NMM.

For the base however, why not make a cityfight base with some snow and very small amounts of grass or equivalent added to the base for some variation?

The Judge
06-05-2006, 10:11
That gold is stunning. Simple as that.

Base idea... lava?

Method
06-05-2006, 23:03
:eek: WOW :eek:
Looking at this quality makes me not want to try it ;)

matthew5276
02-07-2006, 21:18
Any more updates razza or will this never be completed?

Matt.

sparks
03-07-2006, 01:05
If going on ebay, surely a neutral cityfight base or plainish flocked/static grass jobby? could always raise him a little bit....just on a rock as opposed to slate.

Btw, i still look on at your elf in amazement, this will also be getting saved to my pc to put in my 'models i can aspire to(in the far future)' folder!

SuFi44
03-07-2006, 03:46
wow you got some serious talent with green stuff

malika
03-07-2006, 10:34
Which chapter is this Chaplain going to be part of?

razza
13-10-2006, 20:07
Hi all!
I've been on holiday for the last week to take a break from my full time job of painting miniatures, so i got bored out of my skull and decided to paint a miniature!
i started this conversion ages ago so i dusted it off and decided to finish it.
I also started painting this in NMM so i continued with that, if i could go back in time i'd slap myself around the head and get out the metals! it took ages and i had to stop myself from grabbing the boltgun metal but it's nearly finished.
tomorrow i'll be working on the base, i'm always copping out when it comes to bases so i'm putting a bit of effort into this one.
i'll post pics of the finished product tomorrow night.
cheers all!
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0229.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0232.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0231.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/gunheadcomb.jpg

odmiller
13-10-2006, 20:11
Absolutely stunning.

Achmed
13-10-2006, 20:11
Looks great, hopefully i'll get half as good as that one day and i'll be happy :)

Steel_Legion
13-10-2006, 20:17
pretty damn flawless, excelent work there

luna wolf
13-10-2006, 20:20
now that is so sweet

Havoc
13-10-2006, 20:21
A bit of effort, christ I would kill to see something done with full effort, enter this in a golden daemon it should go pretty far I would say.

Brush your teeth
13-10-2006, 20:23
very nice, i dont know why but the meltagun barel looks a bit odd to me.. something to do with the angle of the reflecton line? better than anything i could ever hope to do all the same.

razza
13-10-2006, 20:25
you're never happy! :D
cheers guys!

Clang
13-10-2006, 20:26
don't you dare stick him on a boring base with sand and static grass - he's a great model and deserves a real classy base

Metal Fingered Villain
13-10-2006, 20:29
That is absolutely ******** amazing. Im speechless.

luna wolf
13-10-2006, 20:31
is there any chance you could put up a painting guide for how you did that.

razza
13-10-2006, 20:32
i've got something a bit special for the base, you'll have to wait. He, He!
i'll post a full painting guide tomorrow with the finished fig if that's cool.
thanks again!

luna wolf
13-10-2006, 20:39
the base better be nice or your going to be in big trouble

Yorkiebar
13-10-2006, 20:45
i've been waiting for this since you first posted it. INCREDIBLE work, if you do a nice base, maybe one that fits into a larger diorama base on a pedestal, I can see this winning at least the bronze at GD.

Wintermute
13-10-2006, 21:34
enter this in a golden daemon it should go pretty far I would say.

But only in the Open Category ;)

Scorpio
13-10-2006, 21:44
Quite a stunning model. I'm trying but i really cant think of any constructive critiscism. Theres almost nothing wrong with him. Now we better see a good base on him otherwise...

-Scorpio

McMullet
13-10-2006, 21:51
Razza, every time you post you challenge my dislike of NMM. As I said when you posted this before, the gold/brass colour on this mini as spectacularly well done. Some of the silvery bits aren't so perfect (The crozius still looks a bit grey) but they still look very good.

I think "some bits of it aren't perfect" is about as critical as I can get. :p

Beautiful job. :)

Luke
13-10-2006, 22:14
RAZZA, you are my god. Stunning piece, cant wait to see it on the base.

Gen_eV
13-10-2006, 22:20
Dammit, why can't you just insert a 'deliberate mistake' somewhere, so we can all look at the one, teeny-tiny bad thing, and feel slighlty better about ourselves for it? As it is, that model's just too pretty for words.

The only problem with it for me is that he's a Dark Angel Chaplain in Terminator armour, yet all the swords are intact. Surely he's a member of the Deathwing, and should bear the broken sword logo? The red one on the leg would be nice to split, actually, as it's already the right colour. Leave all the other if he's not part of a DW army, naturally.

Inquisitor lorr
13-10-2006, 22:44
Well thats pretty damn incredible,the gun is well....perfect.Thats one thing i really like about 'eavy metal and youself in particular is your reds.They look so good.I tried them(the way you told me at GD) and the diffenerence your colours made was rediculous,the dwarf flesh highlights work so well.I usually don't like NMM(although i realise the skill involved) but i'm finding it hard to dislike this.

Evilhomer
13-10-2006, 23:55
As usual razza, an incredibly high standard that leaves me jelous :). I really like the small details, the red sword on the shin, the red border on the illuminated text, the nice cream pattern on the cloth and the little signatures on the purity seals on the legs - crazy. Very well thought out and executed!
You've also made the nmm technique look grand, which is something I'm not usually keen on, I particularly like the combi-bolter barrel and halo in particular. Although the crozius does look a little like stone - perhaps a more blue~ish tone if you're going to do something similar in future? I'm still definately in the "metal paints for metal parts" camp though! You have to be after seeing Jakob Nielsons stuff :(

Gandhi
14-10-2006, 00:53
Nice ^_________________^
I wish I could paint NMMs...

Erestor
14-10-2006, 01:14
Nicley done Razza,

NMM takes too long and is not worth the effort? I'm paraphrasing here to justify that I don't want to learn how to use this technique. I'm too lazy.;)

I look forward to seeing the base. Always on the lookout for good basing ideas, I am.

firestorm40k
14-10-2006, 10:21
Woah..! :eek:

Incredible paintjob... amazing

:edit: and this is my 666th post... :wtf:

Luke
14-10-2006, 10:37
On CMON I would give this figure a 9 or at a push, even a 10. Hurry up Razza and get this model up on CMON!

KayvaanShrike
14-10-2006, 12:59
Stunning mini there! Btw is the Bolter-combi converted as well? As it looks a bit bigger than the standard plastic one. Awesome work, don't let it down through its base now!

Toastie142
14-10-2006, 13:21
Nice , I wish i could paint nmm, 9 out of 10 for the paintjob, (the flamer just doesnt look right to me) and hopefully will have a good base!

^_^
14-10-2006, 13:21
:cries: Words can't describe how beautiful this Chaplain is.

Greblord
14-10-2006, 14:14
I think it can be safely said that it, and you both rock.
You should always paint stuff for yourself - I ran a painting service for 18 years and that was the only thing that kept me coming back :)