PDA

View Full Version : Artwork - GW submission

colrouphobic
19-07-2011, 15:06
Two submissions for Games Workshop as in-house illustrator.

DarthSte
19-07-2011, 15:35
Very much like the Greatsword. Fits very nicely with the GW style. :)

kaulem
19-07-2011, 17:59
Both are really top notch! I particularly like the greatsword! just wow!

PondaNagura
19-07-2011, 21:19
these are works in progress, right?

other some general refinement I have no critique for the empire guy.

as for the space marine, he's kind of all over the place.

his legs are carrying him out of frame, while his torso is twisted in an awkward firing stance towards and unseen enemy in the opposite direction.
His face -while rendered handsomely as befits a BA- is emotionless, in part because we can't see his mouth behind the gorget, and his eyes appear to be fixated more on his bolter than what he's shooting at.

colrouphobic
20-07-2011, 08:16
these are works in progress, right?

other some general refinement I have no critique for the empire guy.

as for the space marine, he's kind of all over the place.

his legs are carrying him out of frame, while his torso is twisted in an awkward firing stance towards and unseen enemy in the opposite direction.
His face -while rendered handsomely as befits a BA- is emotionless, in part because we can't see his mouth behind the gorget, and his eyes appear to be fixated more on his bolter than what he's shooting at.

Cheers for that non-constructive critique.

No, they are not wip's. They are painted to work within a page of a codex. They are supposed to be 1/2 the size in print, hence alot of detail vanishes once in print. These still carry more detail then normal codex-illustrations. And the main reason why they seem so void of detail simply comes from the fact that there is a demand that the figures look exactly like the figurines.
There just is no detail on the figurines.

Emotionless is not the same as concentrated, but both can take on the same, serious, look.

Im also surprised that you can see his eyes, since they are steeped in chiaroscurro.

I got tasked to show action with the bloodangel.
If you have seen the codexes and the illustrations therein, you will know that there are a very limited range of actionposes for SMs, generally because the suit of armour prevents any more movement. I wanted to show a somewhat new actionpose for a SM.
This is, though maybe awkward, a pose that actually works.
Running in one direction, suddenly seeing a target in another and firing from the hip.
Not only is it somewhat new, it is also described alot in Black Library books an snippets throughout the different editions of codexes.

Cheers.

PondaNagura
21-07-2011, 18:07
"Cheers for that non-constructive critique."
was that sarcasm?

i don't mean for this to sound confrontational but, you post something with no additional information of intent other than submission for an in-house illustrator, how am i supposed to know whether they are done and you're just posting them as examples of your work, or if you're still working on them and looking for some C&C?

I'm just an observer, someone who the art would be intended for, working with the limit of information presented, made an assumption; and to me the space marine didn't look as finished as some of your other postings, like the orc and nightgoblin you put up a few months back or even the Sar Haroth illustration in your other thread. thankyou for clarifying that you were working to a particular appointed task and probably with a set deadline for submittal.

as for seeing his eyes, i tab all images, and I clicked the (+)- fullzoom and thats when i noticed the pupils were looking down.

colrouphobic
22-07-2011, 07:08
"Cheers for that non-constructive critique."
was that sarcasm?

Take it as you want to, if you think it was constructive then why would you possibly think I was being sarcastic?
If you dont think it was constructive, then why would you possibly post something like it?

Wyrmwood
01-08-2011, 12:13
Look dude, you don't post something up in a public forum and then get snarky when someone voices an opinion that you dislike. The fact that you pointed out that Ponda was giving you 'non-constructive' criticism, despite that clearly not being the case, is... Well, flat out saying that you feel it wasn't constructive. Ponda could have phrased it less ''Dreadclaw hurtling toward your face'', but I think his points are fair.

Good job on the Greatsword.

colrouphobic
04-08-2011, 09:01
Well, if someone voices a snarky opinion, do I not have the right to reply snarky?
Forgive me for misunderstanding the equal rights on the internet.
Obviously it is quite okay to give unfounded critiques on artwork in a snarky way without the artist being able to reply in the same manner.
How foolish of me to have overlooked that.

Barring flaming, if someone adress me in a specific manner, I reserve the right to adress that person in the same manner.
I much prefer a nicer tone, but every time I post on warseer, or just read a topic, I see rude remarks and snarky posts. Well after several years of that I could choose one out of two things-

1)Stop posting on Warseer, something I do because I like to show artwork to people who are interested (and because I DO work for FFG on occation) and because I always thought it lacked before I started working full time as an illustrator.

2) Reserve the right to reply in the same fascion as others write to me.

Maybe its just time to stop warseer completely for me..

Obviously what gives for others does not give for me.

(unfounded/non-constructive as in-
Suggesting a position as "awkward" when, in fact, it is the most common position the figurines of the line have because it becomes impossible, anatomically, to hold the bolter in any other way. (plus the fact that though it is commong amongst the figurines it is virtually non existant in the imagedry of codex art, makes it a vali thing to paint for me. But thats an opinion.)

Claiming that the eyes, that are painted to be obscured, are looking in a specified direction.

It makes a point non-constructive if it is unfounded. And non-constructive points are opinions. If you have an opinion, voice it as one. I do not mind opinions, it can feel bad for me, but everyone has the right to an opinion.)

Look dude, you don't post something up in a public forum and then get snarky when someone voices an opinion that you dislike. The fact that you pointed out that Ponda was giving you 'non-constructive' criticism, despite that clearly not being the case, is... Well, flat out saying that you feel it wasn't constructive. Ponda could have phrased it less ''Dreadclaw hurtling toward your face'', but I think his points are fair.

Good job on the Greatsword.

DarthSte
04-08-2011, 09:11
Clearly you've spent a great deal of time and effort on these pieces, so will take any criticism or negative comments personally, it's only natural, and although you didn't actually ask for any, people are going to assume you want comments on them both.

If you think somebody has reponded to you in a rude, aggressive or offensive manner, then report them using the "!" button at the bottom left of their post. Responding in a rude, aggressive or offensive manner is not going to help anybody.

As I said a couple of weeks ago... I'm happy to say again: I really like the Great Sword. Very, very much. I think it has a lot of atmosphere, the soldier himself is well proportioned, it's of a quality that I'd expect to see in books, or even have on my wall.

Tastyfish
04-08-2011, 13:52
I got tasked to show action with the bloodangel.
If you have seen the codexes and the illustrations therein, you will know that there are a very limited range of actionposes for SMs, generally because the suit of armour prevents any more movement. I wanted to show a somewhat new actionpose for a SM.
This is, though maybe awkward, a pose that actually works.
Running in one direction, suddenly seeing a target in another and firing from the hip.
Not only is it somewhat new, it is also described alot in Black Library books an snippets throughout the different editions of codexes.

Cheers.
I think part of the problem that people might have with it is that it's almost two contradictory themes - you've got action (as in it's a picture of the marine performing an action) but at the same time it's shrouded in darkness which conceals a lot of the action and impact, which makes it harder to figure out at first look (hence the comments about the odd pose, your brain is forced to fill in the blanks, making it look like his torso is twisted more than 90 degrees to the side). Is this supposed to be grabbing my eye like a fast noise or movement, or is it supposed to be giving me a sense of theme or the feel of the setting, like dark things gathering and moving just out of sight. The Greatsword captures this perfectly, but the marine just misses the mark for me.

The level of darkness at the moment takes emphasis away from the action, (which also for a GW submission I would have taken to mean Action as in Action Movie rather than merely movement). If you're doing an unusal pose, then it needs to be really obvious what's happening otherwise you'll have the viewer impose a more traditional pose over the top and have to really look to try to work out what's happening.

His leg seems a bit twisted as well, the knee and the foot don't quite look like they line up right but again that might be because it's not easy to see where one legs starts and the other ends (the right leg ends up changing the apparent position of the left one by acting as a shaded area of it, rather than being a seperate leg).

Greatsword though is really good.

Malorian
04-08-2011, 18:52
This can only be settled by a draw-off! :D

Mace1982
04-08-2011, 19:13
Take this as you want to its my opinion on what i feel when i look at these pictures, I'm no artist but i do like to look at pictures and unfortunatly sometimes when i look at pictures it makes me think about it and question something i feel does not fit true for me, hopefully you wont take it in a bad way, I'll start with the obvious easy one,

The Greatsword,
Can i fault it, Yes if i wanted to be some kind of ******** im sure i could get magnifying and find some minor issue with it to be an ass but in reality i cant fault it, the way you have him walking out of the marshes with an almost fearful/wary/alert feel to his whole pose (not 100% sure which you were going for) to me it looks like he is cautiously coming out of a misty marshy/swampy area sword ready to fell any who appear before him. Really love this and would love to see it in the next Empire army book 9/10.

The Space Marine,
I can see what it is you are trying to achieve, i can understand the setting you have gone for but i feel when i view it that it looks forced and unnatural, rather than leave it at that i will expand on what makes me feel that way and hopefully you will understand me, the two things that mainly make me feel this way are 1) the upper body it feels when i look upon it that its twisted just a fraction or so too much towards the intended target rather than more towards the direction he was originally heading in, 2) the bolter i feel that when i look upon the bolter its to high on the muzzle (the gun barrel if muzzle is the wrong term) it needs dropping closer to his actual hip rather than were it currently is at the moment, i would give this a 7/10.

As i said im no artist myself and opions are like bum holes we all have them, this is my opinion however and i will state that i still think the work is fantastic and you should have your material featured. Hopefully you found this constructive and not a personal slanging of your works.

Blackhoof
20-08-2011, 07:40
for the record, if you look really closely you can see his pupils looking down.

just saying, thats all.

Hrw-Amen
01-09-2011, 18:26
So I am no artist and what I say is just my opinion.

I have to agree the Greatsword is great.

I do see what you are trying to do with the marine, but have to agree with the other's comments. When I looked at prior to reading the thread the first thing that came into my mind was that he was about to fall over being twisted at such an angle. I certainly understand what you have said and looking at it again I can see what you are trying to do, but that is not how it appeared at first glance.

Having said that though I certainly could not do any better and I am sure that nearly every srtist who has worked for GW or anyone else has made some errors in their time so I would not let it get to you and keep up the good work.