PDA

View Full Version : DawnStar Sword and Red Fury

AM1640
20-07-2011, 19:17
So the DawnStar Sword on A Vampire Lord who has Red Fury can mean alot of wounds on the enemy. What happens if I cast Savage Beast of Horros on the Vampire, or any other spell that increases attacks? Does the spell add attacks and then the sword doubles or does the sword double the base attacks and then you add the extra attacks from the spell?
Is it possible to get 14 attacks ( 4 base + 3 from Savage Beast of Horros = 7 x 2 from the DawnStar sword = 14)? Red Fury then allows for an extra attack for every unsaved wound. By being at equilibrium you hit and wound automatically and could potentially cause 28 kills in enemy models that do not have a ward save without rolling a die. Am I interpreting this correctly?

BrotherNefarius
20-07-2011, 20:17
if i am not mistaken, max attacks is 10 unles it is random

Lord Inquisitor
20-07-2011, 20:28
Yeah, I think you can only get to 10, at least as far as your attack characteristic is concerned.

That said, I would have said, double your attack characteristic first, THEN apply modifiers. So the vampire would have 11 attacks (which caps at 10). And yes, with Red Fury, that would mean 20 automatic wounds on a unit. Scary.

Dahmon999
20-07-2011, 20:29
page 3 of the BRB first paragraph states that a characteristic can not go above 10, red fury doesnt actually increase the attribute but adds an immediate additional attack during the combat. There are a couple items/special abilitys that do add additional +attacks to the characters profile and these would be subject to the 10 cap.

Scalebug
20-07-2011, 20:50
Yeah, your Attack characteristic can't go over 10, but you can for other reasons roll more dice in close combat, so to speak.

As for doubling and modifiers; the default GW approach has always been that doubling (or halving for that matter) is done first, then you add/detract bonuses, unless the rule in question specifically tells you to do it the other way. Don't know if it is spelled out in the rulebooks, but this is always the answer in various FAQ's.

So, Base 4 Attacks, doubled to 8, then add on 3 Attacks for Savage Beast, getting 11, but capped at 10 (as it is Attacks with a capital A, right? Meaning the Attack characteristic?), but you are allowed bonus attacks for Red Fury.

EDMM
21-07-2011, 15:31
You could get an additional 120 bonus attacks with this combination.

Algovil
21-07-2011, 17:00
You could get an additional 120 bonus attacks with this combination.

Attacking units with 12 wounds, rolling double six on the multiple wound roll? That is a lot of extra attacks :P

Lord Inquisitor
21-07-2011, 17:44
Somewhat improbable to get anywhere near that number.

However, with dominance, attacking a monstrous infantry unit like Ogres, even without spell boosts to attacks, you can expect to kill 8, giving 24 additional attacks, which should kill another 24 (assuming there are 36 ogres in a unit and they have no regen or ward!), for a total of 72 automatic wounds. Gross.

sulla
21-07-2011, 20:36
Sounds like those ogres better summon a goblin mage for the Nikkit! spell quicksmart...