PDA

View Full Version : Viability of Dreadlord on Dragon

mr.silly
20-07-2011, 22:17
I'm a huge fan of the new Dreadlord on Black Dragon model, and was wondering how one would fare in standard fantasy games (NOT Storm of Magic). I was thinking something like this:

Dreadlord - Black Dragon, Crimson Death, Armor of Darkness, Pendant of Khaeleth = 545

So Str 6, 1+ save, special ward save, and a dragon. The obvious downsides are not being able to take a Supreme Sorceress in the typical 2000-2500 point game and the dragon being cannon sniped, but has anyone used something similar to this with good results?

AngelofSorrow
20-07-2011, 22:39
I plan on using one myself so I will be following this thread. However I have the crown of command on mine instead of the armor. Just in case things go awry.

warplock
20-07-2011, 22:48
Is the Crimson Death really necessary? You're paying a lot of points for the ability to strike (probably) first at S6. You could just take a great weapon instead, and strike last, but free up 40 points to spend on magic items (the cost of the Crimson Death + the remaining points left in your allowance) or 19 extra points overall to spend elsewhere in the army.

Chain
21-07-2011, 00:02
So a potential crown of command or healing potion or something like the other trickster's shard

else perhaps go Soul render instead of GW just 9 more points and gain AP and magical attack?

AngelofSorrow
21-07-2011, 00:30
Is the Crimson Death really necessary? You're paying a lot of points for the ability to strike (probably) first at S6. You could just take a great weapon instead, and strike last, but free up 40 points to spend on magic items (the cost of the Crimson Death + the remaining points left in your allowance) or 19 extra points overall to spend elsewhere in the army.

The beauty of the crimson death is you are High initiative and S6. On top of the fact you are always S6 regardless of modifiers. That means spells will not effect your strength. Since dark elves do not have access to S enhancing spells It only helps. It also protects against lore of shadows and death S lowering spells

Valnir
21-07-2011, 00:36
Since dark elves do not have access to S enhancing spells It only helps. It also protects against lore of shadows and death S lowering spells
*cough* okkam's Mind razor *cough*:D

tmarichards
21-07-2011, 02:13
With the dragon, you'll need to have something that can charge in and take challenges off him. These things also have to keep up with him. So think along the lines of peg heroes, cheap heroes on horses (I used to use a dragon in 7th, and my mounted level 2s would do this job) or even plain old dark riders with champions. Shades with champions are also a possibility.

Gooner
21-07-2011, 02:44
It would be funny to take a dragon with a dreadlord that had the black dragons egg.

You get 4D6 breath attacks, plus regular attacks, plus thunderstomp. Thats a lot of damage.

Then you could also be a jerk and fly him right up next to a unit and use the flame template twice. Thats is potentially a massive amount of damage depending on who you breath on.

mr.silly
21-07-2011, 03:23
Thanks for the replies. So consider dropping Crimson Death and have a hero charge with him? I really like the Crimson Death, but yeah i'll consider that, maybe its something I should playtest.

sulla
21-07-2011, 04:59
DE can make one of the better dragonlords out there, but that doesn't alter the fact that you are worse off with a dragonlord than a supreme sorceress in most games. Vs those rare opponents with no war machines, definately break out the dragonlord for the fun of such a powerful, unsubtle sledgehammer. :)

Tomalock
21-07-2011, 06:44
The most recent build I have gone to is:

Dreadlord w/ Black Dragon, Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Soulrender, Dragonhelm, Pendant of Khaeleth, and the Crown of Command (the shield is debatable but its how I modeled mine).

Its a mean combo that helps keep him from breaking and still dishing out some strong attacks without sacraficing a lot of protection (2+ in combat with reverse ward and a 2+ ward against flaming). Unfortunately, as with all monsters in 8th the dragon is the weak spot, but thats kinda the point of this thread.

An added bonus is that the dreadlord strikes after the dragon, increasing the odds of a favorable combat res outcome in a challenge.