PDA

View Full Version : Middenheim/Children of Ulric - SoM

No-One
21-07-2011, 07:01
As said in my other thread, regarding a Sylvanian army, I was wanting to do an Empire + Vampires(through Sorcerous Pacts) army but as I thought more and more about it... to date, I've never even so much as contemplated a "good guy" force. I've never played an army of Order, always playing a force of Destruction, be it Chaos, Orcs, or Vampire Counts, but never ever any of the so called good guys.

partially this is because I've never much liked going against the grim and dark look that I tend to favor, but as I thought about it more and more, and remembered a bit of fluff regarding the Children of Ulric, something dawned on me... I could have my good guy cake(Empire with many Teutogen Guard(assuming they can still be taken) and Knights of the White Wolf) as well as having a few vampires within my army representing Children of Ulric(aka Werewolves!)

this gives me a little taste of both "good guys" and hollywood horror in my force and thats what i'm hoping on. so i guess my guestions would be how would you guys go about making this kind of force, army composition wise and what kind of gear and stuff would you give your lords, heroes, and how would you best represent the Children of Ulric with the options vampires have?

jtrowell
21-07-2011, 10:47
For the teutogen guards, you can simply use them with the Greatswords rules, so no problem fielding them if you got the models (if you're lucky you can find one of the old Middenheim army box and you will get 20 metal Teutogen guards, an unique Middenheim BSB, and many other models.

No-One
21-07-2011, 19:36
are Teutogen Guard no longer a unit that can be taken? if so it makes me sad that they'll be resigned to "lowly" greatswords.

GodlessM
22-07-2011, 19:59
are Teutogen Guard no longer a unit that can be taken? if so it makes me sad that they'll be resigned to "lowly" greatswords.

Teutogen Guard haven't been part of the game is ~5yrs.

No-One
22-07-2011, 20:18
Haha, shows how much i've been paying attention to the "good guy" side of Fantasy, I had no idea!

I guess I'll stick with having them be a large blob of greatswords then, seems the most viable solution.

Now I just got to think of how best to represent the werewolfiness(i'm pretty sure thats a word somewhere...) of the Children of Ulric using vampire rules...

rodmillard
22-07-2011, 20:53
Now I just got to think of how best to represent the werewolfiness(i'm pretty sure thats a word somewhere...) of the Children of Ulric using vampire rules...

Vampire with any combination of of the Bestialle Powers, Red Fury, Supernatural Horror, Forbidden Lore (Beasts), Summon Creatures of the Night (if you're using direwolves, although IIRC you can take packs of unridden wolves in SoM which might work better). Take a Varghulf but use the Thing In The Woods model from the Mordheim range.

Your problem will come with the core choices - Ghouls are probably best, representing semi-feral wildmen, but poison doesn't seem to fit with the Ulric fluff about martial honour.

GodlessM
22-07-2011, 21:46
Haha, shows how much i've been paying attention to the "good guy" side of Fantasy

Not really to be honest, as Teutogen Guard were part of one of the Storm of Chaos armies, a book which also had evil armies in it.

samw
23-07-2011, 05:29
Not really to be honest, as Teutogen Guard were part of one of the Storm of Chaos armies, a book which also had evil armies in it.

There's no reason for him to know whether they were in the new Empire book or not if he doesn't collect them. It's not like there were no changes between the 6th and 7th editions. Arch-lectors and Karl having a pet dragon spring to mind.

No-one, have you considered demons instead? Bloodletters and flesh hounds seem a better fit rules-wise for what you want to do, which is really cool BTW. Demonic Herald speaks for itself, and there are lots of cool combos. Soul hunger (re-roll to hits) and Siren Call (leadership test, charge me or flee) representing the wolf howl would be very characterful.

No-One
23-07-2011, 07:44
actually Daemons might be a better fit now that i think about it, not sure how i would fit bloodletters in there, maybe as lesser Children of Ulric(unarmored werewolves?) and use heralds with armor as the "true" Children of Ulric(armored werewolves carrying big hammers) and, because i haven't checked SoM about this yet but if possible, Bloodcrushers/Heralds on Juggers as "Trueborn of Ulric"(werewolves riding giant winter wolves?)