PDA

View Full Version : 2k Orcs with SoM re-infrocements

Robotlord
21-07-2011, 15:11
So tomorrow I have my second SoM and my first game at 2000 points(plus the 25% extra)
Total cost comes to 1999 plus 500 M&M (monsters and magic)

Black Orc Warboss with Shield, Spellthieving Sword, Helm of Discord, Other Trickster's shard 233
This guy job is wizard hunting. With the ability to take away spells, he can greatly reduce the effectiveness of wizards who he doesn't kill outright. Also, he has the possibility of hitting automatically the wizard, with his high strength, due to being a Black Orc, Choppa rule and Armed to da teeth, he is normally wounding on 2s, and then forcing them to re-roll successful ward save. Ha, what are you going to do now without 3+ ward, wizard on fulcrum.
So what I do is stick him in the killyest unit close to a fulcrum, (to help guard him from enemy monsters) and send him forward. Tactics any BlOrc would be proud of.
Orc Great Shaman Earthing Rod 190
This wizard is the one I definately want to get on a fulcrum, and I want him to survive those dreaded miscasts
Night Goblin Shaman#1 Scroll of Shielding 65
Night Goblin Shaman#2 Channelling Staff 65
Night Goblin Shaman#3 50
24 Orc Boyz, 2 Choppas 168
This unit is the one for holding back, behind my own line, just in case anything goes wrong.
24 Orc Boyz, Shields Full C. 203
24 Orc Boyz, 2 Choppas Full C. 203
24 Savage Orc Boyz 2 Choppas Big Stabbas Full C. 271
These three were put in to have tactical options, depedning on what the enemy places down first. Whether I need offensive, defensive, or monster hunters(SOrcs with Big Stabbas for the win.)

3 Spear Chukka 105
Rock Lobba 85
Doom Diver 80
This combined fire should help me to kill any monster that threatens me, or take off that crucial last wound from a wizard on a fulcrum.
Arachnarok 290
Extra 25%
Giant 200
Wyvern, Impaling Horns, Venemous Breath 200
These 3 above should hopefully be enouh to take on any more wizards on fulcrums, and generally scare the living daylights out of any units that dare come near my own.
Wyssan's Weighted Dice carried by Night Goblin Shaman#3 100
The dice are there so that I can change any 3's to 6's, for it never ceases to amaze me just how many times I fail to it by getting a 3 instead of a 4. It also keeps the numbers 1 and2 free should I need them for a leadership test, for when everything goes wrong.
Please, if you see anything wrong, or have advice on changing the list, or how to play it, please comment.
Goodbye as 'uummies say, or put properly,

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

Spiney Norman
21-07-2011, 16:35
Wyssans weighted dice are amazing for O&G, but don't change 3s into 6s. You drastically increase your shaman's chances of miscasting.

Instead change 1s into 5s, or maybe 4s if you're fighting an army with a lot of 5+ Armour saves. By changing out 1s you make yourself immune to animosity for a turn and your Night Goblin shamans wont auto-fail any of their spells because of the mushroom dice.

With any luck you wont need to pass too many panic checks in your own turn ;)

Robotlord
09-08-2011, 21:35
I have a new list.
2000 points
Lords
Savage Orc great shaman Lv4, and Lucky Shrunken head. 265
My main caster, goes in the Big Uns unit, and cast spells on the front line. Plus, can still use cataclysim spells, except does not have catacylsmic miscast, yay. No Savage green smears.
Black Orc Warboss with the Other Trickster's shard and the Enchanted Shield, plus the Dawnstone. 205
Fighty Lord, as he carries the Dawnstar Sword. Main jopb is to just remove a rank of average troops, but is equally suited to killing a fulcrum wizard, as Choppa rule and Presence will mean he hits automatically, wounds on 2+ and then forces wizard to re-roll those ward saves. I think on average thats about 3-4 wounds, enough to kill most wizards. The Dawnstone should help protect him against those troops in his way, and prevetning him from failing a 3+ arnmour save regularly.

Heroes
Black Orc Big Boss, BSB Shield and Talisman of Preservation, Ironcurse Icon. 167
Armed to da teef means that this guy will probaly use his great weapon most of the time, as the 4+ ward overules the 6+ parry. Helps to bolster the back line, advancing behind the rest in a unit of his own, as yet undecided which. Hopefully the icon will prevent his unit being sahot out from underneath him quite so easily.

Orc Shaman Lv2 , Dispel Scroll 125
This shaman goes on the fulcrum nearest the enemy. Round where I play,cheap Lv1 fulcrum holders are quite popular, so it will be his job to displace them with wizards duel. Also adds a bit of protection against cataclysmic spells, the first time a major one gets off.
2 Night Goblin Shamen 100
Quite simply these guys are fulcrum holers/ replacements
Core
30 Savage Orc Big Unz Extra Choppa and Full Command 365
The killy unit. I'm unsure whether to have 5x6 or 6x5. Which do people suggest, extra frontage or that extra rank. Frontage would mean a whole 3 more attacks, but that rank could help break steadfast.
25 Orc Boyz ,Shields175
40 Orc Boyz Extra Choppas, Champion 295
Can't decide which of these two units to puty the BSB in. The 40 strong would be deployed 5x8 for ranks, which with steadfast and BSB should make them a nice stubborn (bunker?) unit to put my BSB in. THe other however may be a bit more survivable in combat but will put out less attacks.Rare
Arachnarok 290
Our boards in GW always have at least one forest, and people never seem to be prepared the the spider's strider. ( hey I'm a poet and I never didn't know it ). Spider acts as a nice little flanking monster to help keep the units safe and also good at getting to the fulcrums.Magic & Monsters
Dawnstar Sword on the warboss 200
Wyvern Manbane claws, Spike tail, Impaling horns and venemous breath. 225
This guy acts as my other flank protector. He is always angled in towards the board middle, where the fihting is. Fly is useful to fly over one unit and charge into the next, helping to end a prtracted combat. Once again, good for removing fulcrum wizards
So ther you have it, my new 200 pint SoM list I'm just looking for advice now on things previously mentioned, or if people have a critism about it. I'm thinking about putting a charcter in each unit. Savage Shaman to Savage Boys, general to Shield boyz and BSB to Choppa Boyz. What do you think ?
Thanks for reading this far.

Algorath
10-08-2011, 01:28
Hold it, HOLD IT!

Did I hear you say your Night Goblin Shaman are JUST bodies!!?

They've got another job all entirely...:evilgrin:

I don't have the book with me, but one of the SoM Little Waggh Spells lets you steal magic items...

...second Dawnsword anyone?:cheese:

Robotlord
10-08-2011, 08:35
No, they do have a role to play, one is on a fulcrum immediatedly, and therefore needs no ward/protection, the second is light because I was running out of points and still wanted my big blocks.