PDA

View Full Version : Night Goblins 2500 Competitive List

Vinsanity
21-07-2011, 14:27
Hey guys, just thought I'd share my 2500 Night Goblin list which I'm currently painting up atm and am hoping to use for games of fantasy this year. I feel it has enough combat presence, shooting and high strength impacts and attacks to do well enough against most opponents. Unfortunately, its a Gobbo army :p Which means stuff can and will go wrong! Like untimely squabbles or two hordes beating the snot out of eachother...Still, Night Goblins were my favourite fantasy army back when I first started many (bad) moons ago. Anyway, onto the list:

2500 Night Goblins List

Lords (555):

Skarsnik and Gobbla
2 x Night Goblins Great Shaman (Lvl 3)

Heroes (142):

Night Goblin Big Boss - BSB, Standard of Discipline, light armour, shield
2 x Night Goblin Big Boss - Great Weapons

Core (672):

44 Night Goblins - spears, shields, Full Command, Netters, 2 Fanatics
35 Night Goblins - hand weapons, shields, Full Command, 2 Fanatics
2 x 20 Night Goblins - shortbows, Full Command, 1 Fanatic

Special (580):

4 Trolls
Squig Herd - 30 Squigs, 10 Herders
2 x 1 Wolf Chariots
2 x Spear Chukkas

Rare (550):

2 x Mangler Squigs
2 x Doomdivers
2 x Rock Lobbas
2 x Snotling Pump Wagons

Total: 2499

I decided not to max out fanatics because they're not that flash and the list has manglers who are better damage dealers anyway. With Skarsnik, the 20 shortbow gobbos might be used to annoy people by fleeing then rallying, moving and shooting, depending on the opponent. His delaying ability of units is also quite handy and is a nice and themey Night Goblin trick :D The Squig horde and trolls can do some nice damage in prolonged combats. The pump wagons, manglers and chariots can do some nice impact damage but are fairly vulnerable otherwise. The warmachine shooting gives me hopefully some damage at range to well armoured units and monsters that might trouble the army. The army has Ld 9 with the standard and Skarsnik's base Ld 8 which is about as good as it can get for an army with no orcs. I'd love to grab some netters on the hw/shield gobbo unit but it would mean cutting a pump wagon or something. I'm not too sure on the squig herd in terms of ratio of herders to squigs, will 10 herders be enough? I should be able to just take some wounds on squigs early and maintain an alright amount of herders so the unit doesn't blow up. Also, open to putting in more Night Goblins to beef out the units, sometimes 40sih is not enough :)

Anywho, give me some C&C, thanks muchly in advance! :p

Algorath
22-07-2011, 03:35
Can the commands on the bow gobbos, they aren't going to last against anything, and for the same points you can; make them thirty strong, add two chukkas, a third mangler, or (with a little more wiggling) two trolls.

The fanatics, as posted, here IMO are best used for charge countering, if you're more interested in just disrupting your opponent I'd be tempted in giving the archers 2, if not three, since they're throwaway units anyhow.

SchultzChaos
22-07-2011, 08:00
Yoh!

What you need, my friend, is BIGGER units of Gobbos! Your army will crumble too quickly if it reaches close combat! This is the iron-rule if you wanna do a competitive O&G-list; Gobbos MINIMUM 50 (but the proper size is between 70-100) and Orcs MINIMUM 40!

So my tip is; Combine the hand weapon and spear gobbos to a massive unit! Then you save some points for the command, netters and fanatics! Now Skarsnik has a proper horde to lead (and he'll need it with his gianticus-base). Bolster the Bowgobbos into one unit also. With the points left you could buy (ignore this if you think it goes out from your theme!) a unit of 20 strong Goblins with short bows, shields, standard and musician and 3 skulkers. Here you could hide one or both your shamans (my bunker-unit has done wonders!) from some sneaky and evil witchery.

// Schultz

Taisung
25-07-2011, 15:50
I am new to using Orcs and Goblins so this might be just my experiences so far but what I find is for the bow Gobbos, Full Command is not needed. They tend to never get the use out of it. I have now just given them a standard bearer which will free up 20 points. Get five points from something else and that would be another Fanatic :D

dante336
26-07-2011, 10:59
looks good but im not convinced on trolls in a O&G army. they have to stay near the general other wise they are Ld4 with stubborn ie. wont move

Algorath
27-07-2011, 14:43
looks good but im not convinced on trolls in a O&G army. they have to stay near the general other wise they are Ld4 with stubborn ie. wont move

Agreed, but they make for a convincing anvil; trolls might need babysitting, but they're tough, try grinding through them through first turn.