PDA

View Full Version : Blood Angels: Black power fists?

terradax
21-07-2011, 15:47
I am currently painting an entire Blood Angels company (See link in signature for pictures) and I have several sergeants with power fists.

I have seen some pictures of Terminator with black power fists, so I decided to go with that, also Terminators with paired lightning claws will have their left gauntlet painted black. See link for example. (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440192a&prodId=prod1060028)

I have seen several examples where the Blood Angels adopt this color scheme for their power armoured sergeants. In a White Dwarf issue a guy had painted the entire 3rd company and he had painted the power fists of his sergeants black. But if you look at this picture (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440193a&prodId=prod1060082), the sergeant has a red power fist.

So are there any "rules" as to who may paint their fist black? Does anyone know why the terminators do that in the first place?

Col. Tartleton
21-07-2011, 17:12
Blood Angels used to be orange. Heraldry is constantly changing in universe and out of it.

Chem-Dog
21-07-2011, 17:25
Black Powerfists on the Terminators was de rigeur at one point, it was part of their veteran panopaly (like the inverted colours on the shoulders) I still do it, do it if you like how it looks, don't if you don't :D

punkfish
21-07-2011, 17:32
I use the same colour scheme on my blood angel veterans by painting their left arms black. Works very well. For pics, see my plog.

Spider-pope
21-07-2011, 18:06
Personally i still paint hazard stripes on mine, same with the chainswords.

Lothlanathorian
21-07-2011, 18:20
I still do hazard stripes here and there. I also still mark out my 'Squad Leaders' (as in the guy who leads the other half of the squad when they break up into Combat Squads).

Leftenant Gashrog
21-07-2011, 18:23
I've no idea what the fluff behind it is, but the rule actually had* nothing to do with fists: all Terminators had their left gauntlet painted black, since the powerfist is an oversized gauntlet and it goes on the left that meant painting it black. Hence why lightning claws are one red one black - if it was tied to the armament both would be the same colour.

* past tense since the studios terminator sergeants gauntlet is red, it should be black.

AndrewGPaul
21-07-2011, 18:28
As with many things to do with Space Marine colours and iconography, it's simply town to what looks cool (both in-universe and out); the Blood Angels are known for having more decoration on their armour, even on the suits of regular battle-brothers, than other Chapters.

Looking at Space Hulk 3rd edition, there are various combinations of red power fists, black power fists, black fists with red fingers and red fists with black fingers, not to mention the storm bolter casings. Basically, paint 'em how you like. :)

Scalebug
22-07-2011, 22:15
Blood Angels used to be orange. Heraldry is constantly changing in universe and out of it.

Not really... Sure, there was a paint named "Blood Angel Orange" in the late 80's-early 90's paint series, but it was really there to highlight the basic "Blood Red"....

Chem-Dog
22-07-2011, 22:49
Not really... Sure, there was a paint named "Blood Angel Orange" in the late 80's-early 90's paint series, but it was really there to highlight the basic "Blood Red"....

Not really. I happen to have a copy of WD139 in my hand (whell I did, then I had to type). It features the first Studio BA army (painted by Tim Prow) and the word is Orange.
It's where Tyco first showed up.

On a side note the way you were supposed to paint them , BAOrange over Terracotta NEVER worked for me.