PDA

View Full Version : Overruning into the Watchtower

AmaroK
23-07-2011, 01:06
Recently, I had a Watchtower scenario game, and my oponent and me had an issue:

He was inside the Watchtower with his hallberdiers and I charged it with my main unit of gors. I also achieved a charge with a doombull and his unit of gors into a 5 men detachment near the side of the building.

Resolving the fights, my main gor unit got rejected and went out of the Watchtower. After this, I crushed the detachment and I had to overrun because of the bloodgreed rule, and, because of their position, I went into contact with the Watchtower.

My question is:
An overrunning unit that goes in contact with the Watchtower counts as a second charge? The rules say that you cannot declare more than one charge vs a building in the charges phase, but the overrun (hence accidental charge) doesnīt happen in that phase, nor is declared.

Also, as the resolving of the fights is a sequence, the first unit assaulting the building was already out, so it can be consider a viable target for a second one.

I wasnīt sure what to do, and I didnīt find the answer in the rulebook. It was my rival who said I was allowed to go into the watchtower from his point of view, and so did I. The funny thing, is the fight had to be resolved in the next turn, and then he rolled to end the game, and it did :p. Game over, we had 2 units contending for the Watchtower, we called it for a tie (it was friendly game anyways).

So what do you all think about this? Did we play it correctly or there are clear references about this issue in the rulebook that we didnīt find? Thanks in advance.

Kalandros
23-07-2011, 01:34
Cannot overrun into a building as buildings can only be assaulted in the movement phase. Your overrun stops 1" short of the building.

Ramius4
23-07-2011, 01:56
Kalandros is correct.

The bearded one
23-07-2011, 03:20
That does appear to be the only thing preventing it.. the BRB happens to mention 'in the movementphase' in the description of assaulting a building, but if that was not included then it would be possible as pursuit into a new enemy counts as a charge and is executed exactly as in the movement phase.

AmaroK
23-07-2011, 09:42
Cannot overrun into a building as buildings can only be assaulted in the movement phase. Your overrun stops 1" short of the building.

Where is it said you can only assault on movement phase? I found a reference saying "each building can be assaulted by only one unit in the movement phase", but as far as the overrun didnīt happen in the movement phase, it doesnīt answer this issue. But I have the BRB in spanish, so maybe something was lost in translation. Also Iīd like to know the exact reference about the unit stoping 1" short of the building.

Note that Iīm not saying you are wrong. Actually I think itīs the way to play it, considering how the Watchtower scenario is designed (a draw is not even considered in the victory conditions). But Iīd like to know where the rules are, in case this issue arise again in one of my games :) Thanks again.

Scalebug
23-07-2011, 16:35
Think like this; There are no rules for assaulting it in other phases than the movement phase, therefore you cannot do it.

TMATK
23-07-2011, 17:24
...Also Iīd like to know the exact reference about the unit stoping 1" short of the building.

If buildings aren't being entered or assaulted, then they count as impassable terrain.

Bitten Black Sheep
24-07-2011, 04:14
Top right page 126 for buildings as impassable terrain.
Bottom left 127 for assaulting a building