PDA

View Full Version : 2500 pts Lizardmen - Help needed, please!

Atropos
24-07-2011, 17:08
Hello there!

I'd like to know if you could help me with the list I'm making, please. It's meant to be competitive, so every piece of advice will be highly appreciated.

On to the list:

Slann Mage Priest (General and BSB)
Focus of Mistery (Life) - Focused Rumination - Becalming Cogitation
Cupped Hands of the Old Ones - Bane Head - Banner of Discipline

Saurus Scar Veteran
Light Armour - Shield
+2 attacks Sword (common magic items) - Dragon Helm

23 Saurus Warriors
Full Command

18 Saurus Warriors
Full Command

10 Skink Skirmishers

10 Skink Skirmishers

24 Temple Guard
Full Command

9 Chameleon Skinks

9 Chameleon Skinks

2 Salamanders
With additional handlers

2 Salamanders
With additional handlers

1 Ancient Stegadon

Thank you!

tmarichards
24-07-2011, 17:44
The Scar-Vets kit isn't really optimal. I think a better set-up for him would be light armour, cold one, Burning Blade, Dawnstone and Charmed Shield. Another good build is light armour, great weapon, cold one, Firefly venom, 2+ ward vs the first wound suffered and dragonhelm. At 2500, you can even take both.

4 salalmander is a bit overkill, 2 singles works very well.

A level 1 with a scroll is always nice.

You could also drop a few from each of the big units, 20 Temple Guard and 24 saurus work well enough,

Don Zeko
24-07-2011, 18:04
I disagree. I think you're better off throwing a few more points into your saurus blocks. I'd drop the skirmishers and the scar-vet, bump those chameleon units to 10, and then use the points to get bigger saurus blocks, maybe 30, 30, and 26 temple guard. I'm also curious why you have the Bane Head on your slann if you're running life. It looks like the Cupped Hands are your only way to damage a character in a unit, and even then only a couple of miscast results will do wounds to a character. I'd drop it, and consider dropping cupped hands for a Forbidden Rod, seeing as Life gives you miscast protection on the Slann.

Oh, and keep the salamanders! They're great, and at 2 each they'll be able to fight off a lot of the lighter stuff people might send to take them out.

Vsurma
24-07-2011, 18:58
Hello there!

I'd like to know if you could help me with the list I'm making, please. It's meant to be competitive, so every piece of advice will be highly appreciated.

On to the list:

Pretty much exactly what I run so all good here, if you play a lot of games feel free to try out some other lores as well. Life is sort of the basic choice for lizardmen as it makes the army an incredibly hard victory points denial type. Light is also worth trying and since taking 2 units of salamanders is not banned (as it is in all the tournaments round my parts) taking shadow is just BRUTAL, 45 hits on an infantry block at s3...meh, but when the enemy is -d3 toughness... daim!

Saurus Scar Veteran
Light Armour - Shield
+2 attacks Sword (common magic items) - Dragon Helm

The sword is really expensive for what it does, not really worth it on the hero level saurus, the idea of him on a cold one with charmed shield is ok, or another decent idea is to give him say the -2 armour save sword and stick him in a unit of saurus, this way the unit can take on heavily armoured targets like knights etc. Personally I find close combat heroes not worth taking in this edition as their cost just buys soooo many more normal saurus, the cost of this 1 saurus could bump your unit of 18 saurus to 30! but your call

23 Saurus Warriors
Full Command

18 Saurus Warriors
Full Command

10 Skink Skirmishers

10 Skink Skirmishers

I would personally recomend droping the normal skinks, or at least 1 unit and taking more chamo skinks, you have a 3rd slot free for them. Normal skinks just can't hit anything, with moving, long distance and double shot, you lose poison as your hitting on 7s, basically this means your only firing once most of the time. Chamo skinks with their deployment advantage and -2 to hit seem better to me. That said you do gain a deployment advantage from normal skinks so its a trade off. I go with max chamo skinks myself

24 Temple Guard
Full Command

Good size unit, give the champ a flaming banner because for 10 points you would be crazy not too! Also lizardmen HATE hydras and hydras hate fire so its a win win

9 Chameleon Skinks

9 Chameleon Skinks

2 Salamanders
With additional handlers

2 Salamanders
With additional handlers

the handlers don't really help much, with a slann having ld10 and your salamanders normally being in range, losing the handlers doesn't matter so much, though they do work as ablative wounds which is nice. That said if your allowed to do so then MAX your salamanders, 3*2 for sure. They are easily the best unit in the lizardment book bar the slann. Though you won't be making friends with six

1 Ancient Stegadon

Keep it near the slann to keep him alive and everything is great

Thank you!

I am very much a tournament player so my advice is from that perspective. Hope it helps.

I think the single most important improvement is definitely to take the flaming banner!

If you drop the saurus hero that would allow you to make a lot of changes but keep it if you think its cool. A lv1 skink priest with dispel scroll is definitely worth having in an army full of init 1 units. A single xerxes or pit of shades could kill hundreds of points, that scroll could save you from a world of hurt.

Atropos
24-07-2011, 19:44
Thank you so much, I made two new lists. Which one do you think looks better?

Skink Priest
Cube of Darkness

30 Saurus Warriors
Full Command

24 Saurus Warriors
Full Command

24 Temple Guard
Full Command
Flaming Banner

10 Chameleon Skinks

10 Chameleon Skinks

2 Salamanders
With 2 additional handlers

2 Salamanders

1 Ancient Stegadon

List 2:

Skink Priest
Cube of Darkness

30 Saurus Warriors
Full Command

24 Saurus Warriors
Full Command

24 Temple Guard
Full Command
Flaming Banner

10 Chameleon Skinks

10 Chameleon Skinks

10 Chameleon Skinks

3 Salamanders
With 3 additional handlers

3 Salamanders

thesheriff
24-07-2011, 22:23
The second one is better. But, unless you play super competative, don't use it. It's too good.

thesheriff

Vsurma
25-07-2011, 14:35
^^ what he said.

That said since your not running lore of shadow or even death it might not be too bad.

The salamanders really shine when the enemy is down a toughness level or 3.

Without a modifier it is probably not so bad. Though with life you can just keep bringing them back to life so it might just be mean on a different level.

Give it a shot.

vinny t
25-07-2011, 21:53
I think regular skirmishers definitely have a place in a LM army. They can take up deployment options and will usually be within 6 inches so they can double shoot. I strongly suggest taking at least 2 units of them.