PDA

View Full Version : Is this HE list any good?

Mace1982
24-07-2011, 23:26
Ok my first run at a high elf list for 8th 2400 point list comments really appreciated, just to give you an idea this force is a reaction play force give my oppenent first turn and react to him,

high elf mage lvl 2
high elf mage lvl 2

10 x archers with champ
10 x archers with champ
10 x archers with champ

20 x spearmen full cmd

18 x sea guard full cmd (sheilds)

14 sword masters full cmd

8 ellyrian reavers with champ (bows)

2 x repeater bolt throwers

total for this is 2124

leaves me 276 for magic items still figuring those out atm so what do you guys/gals think?

russellmoo
25-07-2011, 01:03
Drop at least one unit of reavers, then use the points to add more models to both the seaguard and spearmen-

Those two units need to be double in size-

You can also free up more points by dropping the champions from the bowmen, they are kind of unnecessary-

wingate32
25-07-2011, 01:44
I think you rely to much on shooting when you should be concentrating on close combat. Even though HE archers are skilled they are too vurneable to the other armys shooting. T3 and 5+ AS doesn't get you far...

I would drop the archers all togheter doubling up the spearmens to a horde block of 40 and finding points for some White lions or a Phoenix guard unit to act as a anvil unit.

tmarichards
25-07-2011, 02:13
16 Ellyrian Reavers and no Level 4 pretty much automatically exclude this from being any good unfortunately...

Also, planning your army around your opponent getting first turn is not such a good idea, especially when you have so few deployments as to often be getting +1. Remember, there is nowt in the rulebook to say you can give away the first turn- if you win it, you take the first turn.

There's also a distressing lack of substance- what in your army can survive protracted combats? I appreciate this is a common HE problem, and an integral reason why the army is inherently weaker than other books, but having a maximum of 20 in a combat block with just a 5+ armour is worrying.

dante336
25-07-2011, 02:20
its all about teclis with the lore of shadow + take sea guard instead of archers as they can do what they do but come with much better equipment.

tmarichards
25-07-2011, 02:31
Advising people to take Teclis is not such a great idea I think... Teclis is not conducive to learning how to play the game, use the army or form a consistent gaming group. Personally, I have no problem with Teclis, unless he uses High Magic. I played a game vs a Shadow Teclis recently on my Youtube battle reports channel (link in my sig). I think using Teclis should come after first getting to know the army.

I wouldn't really recommend Seaguard over archers- if you want your infantry to fight, you have several good choices. Archers give you far more flexibility, and are much better for controlling your opponents deployment.

sons of osiris
30-07-2011, 02:02
i agree completly with above poster yet in almost ever he army you need either 1of the spec- sm,wl,pg they are a mst have in any army with sm super hitty. wl genera and pg good in prolonged combats there 5+4++ save helping out alot in that respect. yet there not there why?
you have 2 unit of sm why not replace 1 unit of them a unit of archers and a reaver unit to get a big unit of phoneix guard these can anchor your line if u play defensive. boost up the other sm squad and there u go hammer anvil. u still have ur archers nd rbts for fire supprt. also minus a mage and pu cadrael in with pg= solid unit

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
30-07-2011, 11:15
Ok my first run at a high elf list for 8th 2400 point list comments really appreciated, just to give you an idea this force is a reaction play force give my oppenent first turn and react to him,

high elf mage lvl 2
high elf mage lvl 2

10 x archers with champ
10 x archers with champ
10 x archers with champ

20 x spearmen full cmd

18 x sea guard full cmd (sheilds)

2 x repeater bolt throwers

total for this is 2124

leaves me 276 for magic items still figuring those out atm so what do you guys/gals think?

This list looks very similar to some of my earlier HE lists. Unfortunately it suffers from the same issues I had. As a "reactionary list" it won't be able to retaliate with much back since you seem to have the list working as a bowline type army with not enough shooting units IMO.

I suggest dropping the spearmen & one of the archer units from core then upgrade the LSG to about 27 or 28 w/full command & BoEF & downgrade the command on the archers to a musician instead (free reforming is much better than having a single model BS increase IMO).

I would also trade in the Reavers because as harrasers they work better with both spears & bows then bows alone and in groups of 10. Five will normal work at small point values but at 2400 pts. you'll need something with more punch.

So that would give you about 791 pts. to play with so I'd suggest:

Upgrading one of the Mages to a 4th Lvl. Mage for better spell casting options.

Getting a BSB for the army as Inspiring Ld of the General isn't high enough to prevent all your troops from failing their panic tests.

Get some hard hitting units with staying power like Phoenix Guard, White Lions, or Dragon Princes (for greater mobility).

I hope that helps.

goinggreen
31-07-2011, 09:14
I have to agree with a few of the other points made:

you need large blocks of spears either seaguard or spearmen. They should start at 25 -30 in the unit
Upgrade a lvl 2 to lvl 4 Archmage
Add a prince with a few toys as your general
BSB is a must
Reavers are good, but fragile, for 200 pts you can have 5 Dragon princes with full command.

Cheers