PDA

View Full Version : SoM: Number of Power Dice per Spell

Evil Hypnotist
25-07-2011, 09:02
Hi all,

Played my first game of Storm of Magic last night, a question came up almost straight away. Considering that there is now 4D6 for Winds of Magic, and the maximum amount of dice in the Power and Dispel pools has been risen to 24, is the limit of Power dice you can use per spell risen from 6 as well? I see no mention of any change but I assumed there would be, otherwise these 30+ casting Cataclysm spells are going to be incredibly difficult to get off unless you have bonuses to your Lore in that magic phase. Or is that the point that I have completely missed?

Also, I'm pretty sure about this but just in case; If you have a mage that's on a fulcrum then they can still cast with Irrisistable Force with normal spells, just not with Cataclysm spells?

Ta

wing
25-07-2011, 09:34
Hey there,

We came to the same question yesterday. While I admit I didn't get through the whole rulebook yet, there is no mention about the dice limit per spell change so far. And with some spells at 35+ it would be pretty much impossible to cast them.
On the other hand I was told by one of the players there is no limit on the number of dice you can use to cast a spell, but that's a second hand information.

In regards to the non-Cataclysm spells, I do think you're right.

RanaldLoec
25-07-2011, 09:46
The limit of 6 dice remains, unless your dark elves or have an item like the empire's wizards staff.

Higher leve SoM spells pretty much requieres your lore to have the bonus for castings to meet the casting value on six dice.

There is a mythical item which allows IF casting of cataclysm spells.

You can still IF normal sells.

Fawful
25-07-2011, 12:31
If it's not mentiond in the storm of magic book it just means that is uses the regular rules for magic, so that would be six as per the big rule book. This means spells are somewhat more balanced then normal. As such, 35+ requires you to roll quite a few sixes, have a lvl 4 and +5 from the winds of magic.

Nubje
25-07-2011, 14:28
If you need to roll a couple of sixes won't you always cast it with irresistible force and be willing to suffer a miscast or even an arcane fulcrum miscast when on a fulcrum?

Ramius4
25-07-2011, 14:29
If you need to roll a couple of sixes won't you always cast it with irresistible force and be willing to suffer a miscast or even an arcane fulcrum miscast when on a fulcrum?

You don't NEED to roll sixes... Do the math people. It's really not that hard to cast most of those spells using 6 dice.

NTJ2010
25-07-2011, 14:33

You can't use IF to automatically cast a cataclysm spell. The ONLY exception to this is if you have the Arabyan Puzzle Box, with dominance and doubles are rolled in the winds of magic. (So a lot of requirements) and then all doubles cause IF (specifically including cataclysm spells).
(It says in the cataclysm rules that cataclysm spells cannot be automatically cast by irresistible force or by other means...)
Although Cataclysm spells cannot be cast with IF (normally) double 6s, miscasts happen like normal.

wing
25-07-2011, 14:54
You don't NEED to roll sixes... Do the math people. It's really not that hard to cast most of those spells using 6 dice.

Well, yeah, the "impossible" isn't really the right word. We're talking about 10% or so in case the righ wind is ascendant and you have a lvl 4 wizard casting the spell. 15% if you can get an item that adds +1 to cast attempt.

Ramius4
25-07-2011, 15:07
Well, yeah, the "impossible" isn't really the right word. We're talking about 10% or so in case the righ wind is ascendant and you have a lvl 4 wizard casting the spell. 15% if you can get an item that adds +1 to cast attempt.

Seeing as how the majority of the dominance cataclysm spells are cast on a 25, your odds are at 50% with a level 4... The average roll is 21 on 6 dice.

There are only a couple spells that are casting level of 30 or 35...

Clowater
25-07-2011, 19:22
People blow this way out of proportion.

People complain about casting all those 35+ Spells. There's 1 its the Great Leveler, for Slaan.

and there are only 4 other spells cast on a 30+

1/4 of the remaining are cast on a 25+, which was never outside the realm of possibility, we had a 25+ spell before this.

Almost 40 of the cataclysm spells are cast on a 20+ or less, and if you use ascendant lores (Which is the point of them) it brings most of those spells to around 10-16+ not hard on 3 dice with your Wizard Level.

If you want your 30+ spells to go off, wait for your lore to be ascendant, that's what it's for.

Kadris
25-07-2011, 19:32
I play lizardmen, the only 35+ is with them as stated already. its extremely situational since you need dominance and fewer units/character to make it worth while and since you sack the slann its kinda pointless for 95% of the game.

casting the 30+ ones are not that hard, you just need the lore in ascendance for the +3/4/5 on top of wizard level and other things. Last game I played SoM I was casting 20+ spells using 3 dice easily since i had +9 to my casting rolls (+5 for ascendant, +3 for wizard level, +1 from item). Just dont forget to determine lore ascendance and its less of an issue.