PDA

View Full Version : Basing and boards - how do you do yours?

Odin
25-07-2011, 12:18
I've reached a bit of a crossroads with my Chaos army, need a bit of advice... I have models from the last 20 years of painting, with a variety of basing types, and I want to try and get a more unified feel. Plus which, I may be getting a Realm of Battle board, and need to work out how to paint it.

The problem I have is that I don't know what kind of board to paint, or what kind of basing I should use.

Some of my oldest models just have green bases and green flock, which makes them look like they're standing on a well-manicured lawn. Not really very Warhammer.

More recent ones have brown bases with a few bits of static grass. The problem I'm finding is that when I have dark red chaos warriors with dark brown cloaks on a dark brown base, they don't tend to stand out very much.

So I'm thinking I might go for patches of snow on my bases. But if I do that, it will look very odd on any kind of board apart from a snowy one. Considering I sometimes play on my friend's desert board, and sometimes on his grassy board, I think I want something a bit more flexible.

Add to that the fact that I have a Spring/Summer coloured Wood Elf army, and an Ostermark Empire army, I probably don't want to go for a snowy themed board first.

So I guess I just wanted to start a discussion about basing and boards, see if anyone has some interesting ideas, or can suggest a method of basing armies which looks ok on any kind of board and still stands out enough against quite dark WoC models.

The bearded one
25-07-2011, 12:24
I think bases with either gray, or yellowy (desert-y) sand and patches of 'dead grass' will work quite well with your red chaos warriors.

mrtn
25-07-2011, 12:26
I like my own bases, I'm using sand/gravel in various shades of brown, and Woodland Scenics Harvest Gold static grass. The yellow grass set off my models well I feel and you don't get the "it's all dark, I can't see any details" effect, even on quite dark models like skaven assassins.

PS: I have dark red chaos warriors as well, check my painting diary if you're curious how it looks.

SunTzu
25-07-2011, 12:27
I base my models appropriately for the army. For example my Warriors of Chaos have grey lava-ash bases, my Bretonnians have mud and green flock, etc etc. Since the models can end up fighting anywhere, I don't think there is a way of basing them to look right everywhere... it's more important to make the base look right for the model. Other people default to green-flocked bases as that's the most common, but I think Khemri skellies (for example) on green bases, look silly.

I then have a bunch of different gaming boards and terrain - I'm lucky enough to have the space for storage. It started with the traditional green battle mat and Empire buildings, but I now have boards suitable for the desert, jungle, and (most recently) Chaos Wastes, which are ash-grey like my WoC bases, and the terrain that goes with it includes lava flows, Temple of Skulls etc.

Now whenever I'm gaming at my house, I have boards and terrain suitable to match whatever army I use... but I hasten to add I use normal MDF boards, not Realm of Battle gaming boards, because they are 10% of the price and not covered in stupid piles of skulls. That's probably the best advice I could give: for the price of a single Realm of Battle, you could build boards suitable for grassland, deserts, ash wastes, snowfields, plus a bunch of terrain to put on them. Problem solved...?

Odin
25-07-2011, 13:12
I think bases with either gray, or yellowy (desert-y) sand and patches of 'dead grass' will work quite well with your red chaos warriors.

I should probably point out that I'm also doing some rotting flesh coloured warriors, and some shiny multicoloured ones too. I'm giving up the whole mono-God approach, and going back to my original army style - a bit of everything!

I quite like the GW dry grass, probably will use some of that. Or the scorched stuff maybe.

I base my models appropriately for the army. For example my Warriors of Chaos have grey lava-ash bases, my Bretonnians have mud and green flock, etc etc. Since the models can end up fighting anywhere, I don't think there is a way of basing them to look right everywhere... it's more important to make the base look right for the model. Other people default to green-flocked bases as that's the most common, but I think Khemri skellies (for example) on green bases, look silly.

I then have a bunch of different gaming boards and terrain - I'm lucky enough to have the space for storage. It started with the traditional green battle mat and Empire buildings, but I now have boards suitable for the desert, jungle, and (most recently) Chaos Wastes, which are ash-grey like my WoC bases, and the terrain that goes with it includes lava flows, Temple of Skulls etc.

Now whenever I'm gaming at my house, I have boards and terrain suitable to match whatever army I use... but I hasten to add I use normal MDF boards, not Realm of Battle gaming boards, because they are 10% of the price and not covered in stupid piles of skulls. That's probably the best advice I could give: for the price of a single Realm of Battle, you could build boards suitable for grassland, deserts, ash wastes, snowfields, plus a bunch of terrain to put on them. Problem solved...?

I think you might have a point there. maybe I should just go for the snow theme, which will set the models off nicely I think, and while it may look a bit odd on some boards, it will look awesome if I do myself a snowy board.

As for the RoB board, it's an unpainted second hand one, buying it depends on the price. No way I'd pay full price for one of those things though, as you say MDF is a much better option. The skulls won't be a problem for a realm of chaos board!

Melchor
25-07-2011, 13:19
Remember you can mix static flock as well. Gives you plenty of options to get the hue just right.
For the bases I personally recommend going for sand, undercoated with black and drybrushed with Scorched Brown with more and more Bleached Bone intil you are using pure BB. Gives sort of an off-white brownish look (beige?) that looks right with most things. There are bound to be examples of this in the links in my signature (Orks and Traitor Guard spring to mind).

Good luck!

Rhamag
25-07-2011, 13:30
A useful tip someone gave me for rebasing models is to stand them in a few millimetres of water over night - just enough to cover the base. The PVA will soften completely and you can scrape the old gunk off with an old brush or even just your finger.

I don't really have much to add to colour schemes though I'm afraid. I go scorched/calthan/kommando/devlan on the sand, and add static grass in a colour to complement the army.

IcedCrow
25-07-2011, 13:39
I use modeling sand on the model before priming it. Then I prime the whole thing black, texturing the base. After that I go over the black sand with earth colors and apply static grass over them.

Odin
25-07-2011, 14:12
I use modeling sand on the model before priming it. Then I prime the whole thing black, texturing the base. After that I go over the black sand with earth colors and apply static grass over them.

Yeah, I've started doing this recently, much easier to avoid messing up the model at a later stage, and the sand is much more firmly fixed.