Memnon
25-07-2011, 23:32
Hullo there,

So, I've just come into possession of an old O&G battalion containing:

20 Orc boys
20 Night Goblins
10 Spider Riders
A chariot.

Question here is- what next? I'm heading towards 2k and I'm thinking a few things but would like input:

hordes. Night goblin horde- spears or bows? Orc boys or Orc big uns?

cavalry- spider riders in a unit of 10 or 2 of 5? Boar boys- 5 or 10?

monsters- trolls, giant or arachnarok?

Will not include: artillery, common goblins or snotlings.

Looking forward to your thoughts, suggestions etc. Anything really, I'm pretty new to the army!

Cheers

Memnon

BigbyWolf
26-07-2011, 12:59
hordes. Night goblin horde- spears or bows? Orc boys or Orc big uns

I prefer H/W & shield. They suck at killing, so I'd rather keep 'em alive for as long as I can. Extra save, 6+ ward and netters certainly helps with this. As for Orcs, I prefer bigger units of normal boys, and save my Big Un's for Boar Boyz.

cavalry- spider riders in a unit of 10 or 2 of 5? Boar boys- 5 or 10?

5 for spiders, minimum command, keep them as cheap as possible. I'd say between 6-10 Boar Boy Big Uns, full kit. Their extra strength, spear and chopper makes them S6, couple this with the Flaming Banner and maybe a cheap character and you have a half-decent unit that can multi-task...

monsters- trolls, giant or arachnarok?

...I just prefer to spend my points on trolls or infantry.

With regards to the big monsters, if you really want one, I'd say pay the extra and get something with a bit of protection. Plus the 'rok is a great model.

Will not include: artillery, common goblins or snotlings.

A shame, as I believe OnG artillery is great, but you should be able to get by with out it. My lists have 2 Bolt Throwers as a compulsory purchase. For the points it's rude not to, and they can be very useful.

Memnon
26-07-2011, 13:13
Thankyou sir! Food for thought indeed :-)

So big unit of Orcs- horde or not? Weapons?

I was thinking a unit of 10 boarboyz so making them big uns works, duly added!

My thing with artillery is two-fold, I want an orc army but a more "serious" one and I don't think artillery fits the "barbarian horde" theme. Plus the models suck :-)

Thanks again for your input

Memnon

BigbyWolf
26-07-2011, 14:00
Horde if with extra choppas or savage orcs, steadfast with shields. That's the way I've tended to take them.