PDA

View Full Version : Hellfire sword Q

Godeskian
26-07-2011, 06:39
'Each unsaved wound cased by the Hellfire Sword casuses not one but D3+1 wounds'

Two questions

1. Does that mean that if I hit an infantry block I cause a D3+1 wounds to the unit even if the individual models only have 1 wound on profile, or do I only cause D3+1 wounds against individual models.

Basically I need to know if this affects a unit, or is only really good for killing multi-wound models.

And leading on from that, if it only affects single models, suppose I role 4 wounds, the enemy takes off his one model, do I get +4 to combat resolution since it caused 4 wounds, or only +1 since that's all that was on the profile.

Kalandros
26-07-2011, 06:55
multi-wound rules are clear, you can never do more wounds than a model's wound count.
Infantry that have a single wound receiving 3 wounding hits from your sword will only be removing 3 models, not 3d3+3~

For combat resolution - if not in a challenge (up to 5 above wound count) then you can only get CR for what you killed.

warplock
26-07-2011, 07:13
multi-wound rules are clear, you can never do more wounds than a model's wound count.
Infantry that have a single wound receiving 3 wounding hits from your sword will only be removing 3 models, not 3d3+3~

For combat resolution - if not in a challenge (up to 5 above wound count) then you can only get CR for what you killed.

If you're fighting trolls and cause 4 wounds, you only killed one. However you get 4CR, not 1, because you caused 4 wounds.

Heeros
26-07-2011, 07:21
If you're fighting trolls and cause 4 wounds, you only killed one. However you get 4CR, not 1, because you caused 4 wounds.

If you are fighting a unit of trolls and cause 4 wounds you kill one and cause a wound on another. In the case of the hellfire sword and multiple wounds the wounds are first allocated among the trolls and then multiplied.

About the CR, I mustīve missed that part if thatīs the case. Iīve gotta check it up... I was under the impression that excess wounds only count towards CR in challenges.

Godeskian
26-07-2011, 08:38
Thanks all, I have my answer.

T10
26-07-2011, 09:54

This applies if the 4 wound was inflicted by at least two hits.

Since we are talking about multiple wounds, I'd like to clarify: if you score a single wounding hit against a 3 Wound Ogre, and the damage is multiplied to 4 wounds then the damage is capped at 3 wounds and you kill one Ogre model.

Remember:
1. Work out the number of unsaved wounds
2. Multiply damage
3. Apply the cap
4. Add up the damage
5. Apply damage, removing whole models where possible

Godeskian
26-07-2011, 09:59
It's not automatically multiplied to 4 wounds, the wound is replaced by D3+1 wounds.

Suppose I only hit a normal unit of 1 wound models once, and only wound once, it is not saved, then roll a 4 dor the D3 (giving me 2+1 wounds), do I remove 3 models, or only 1 as I only hit once and can't do more wounds per model than the model has?

The rules for the Hellfire are a little unclear./

Lord Zarkov
26-07-2011, 10:49
It's not automatically multiplied to 4 wounds, the wound is replaced by D3+1 wounds.

Suppose I only hit a normal unit of 1 wound models once, and only wound once, it is not saved, then roll a 4 dor the D3 (giving me 2+1 wounds), do I remove 3 models, or only 1 as I only hit once and can't do more wounds per model than the model has?

The rules for the Hellfire are a little unclear./

No, you only kill one. You can't do more wounds than a model has (the exception being in a challenge).

Do it like this.
1) Roll the dice for each multiple wounds attack.
2) Cap it at the total wounds of the models you are attacking.
3) Distribute wounds as normal
So say if you had three unsaved wounds and rolled 2,2&4 (after the +1). If you were attaching infantry (one wound) this would be capped at 1,1&1, killing three. If you were attacking ogres (3 wounds) this would be capped at 2,2&3, causing a total of 7 wounds and thus killing two ogres and inflicting a wound on another.

Godeskian
26-07-2011, 10:56
I was afraid of that. Oh well, guess I need to find a new weapon for my Chaos Lord. I want him to help deal with characters and infantry, and that is not going to add much to his infantry killing ability, though it would probably muller characters.

Thanks.