PDA

View Full Version : STOM lizardmen 2400+600pts

Vsurma
26-07-2011, 09:33
First try what you think?

From what I have heard from people playing it normal units seem less important with mages being key (makes sense)

Slann, rumination, mystery, cogitation, soul of stone, cupped hands
Bane head, discipline banner, bsb, mr3
Puzzlebox 825pts wtf!?

Skink priest, cloak of feathers, dispel scroll
Skink priest, cube of darkness

Dark emissary lv3

24 temple Guard
Full command, flaming banner

24 Saurus warriors
Full command

10 Chamo skinks
10 Chamo skinks
10 Chamo skinks

3 Salamanders
3 Salamanders

Rhinox

The way I see it the slann needs to stay alive for my army to work (though perhaps not) and he does cost an arm and 37 legs in price.

Also worth noting is that a slann with templeguard cannot actually take a fullcrum since the templeguard won't let him leave the unit so templeguard might not actually be worth having.

A slann with the puzzlebox is going to be really hard to shift as most of the time he will have +d3 stats (so T5-7 with 3+ ward save) and he is stubborn with the bsb so I might want to drop the guard and take normal saurus instead.

The way I see it with the lore of shadow I won't have to be doing much attacking as I can just move the fulcrums to my deployment zone so basically what I want is a defensive army.

I was thinking life on the slann, shadow on the emissary and 2 heavens mages should do the trick with magic.

Slann keeps everyone alive and kills enemy mages with dual and dwellers, shadow lore brings enemy fulcrums to within blowpipe and flamer range and kills enemy monsters with pitt of shadows. Heavens gives me rerolls and push to keep the enemy from reaching me.

Thoughts? the 800pts slann is questionable of course but it does rarely die in normal games, no idea how it will work this time round.

drear
26-07-2011, 09:51
personally id go for a cheap slann and more skink, skink are very cheap, and know a great set of cataclysm spells.

give one wings, so he can fly around to grab a fulcrum, and the other ones some defensive items, or nothing at all!

i run 3 in 2k and it works great so far. in 2400 id maybe make it 4 skink and 1 slann.
you might consider giving the slann metal or light. with light, use him with +1 pd to cast every single lore of light spell and only use a very small amount of the power pool.

if you take metal, the presence and equilibrium spells will make any unit either terrifying to charge, because autowound/no armour saves. or the units 2+ ward, and becomes a devistatingly resiliant unit.

if the slann is kept cheap, theres not such a big deal if he dies after a miscast, its big, but not nessicarily game breaking.
id give him loremaster, +1dice and cupped hands, and watch him draw out every dispell dice your opponent has on just normal run of the mill spells, then use theskink to duel/unbind/wind vortex them away.

the puzzlebox is a nice item, but you will have swathes of dice anyway. you might look at the weighted dice, change all 6' to 5's so you havea turn where you cannot miscast.

or change all 3's to 4's so you can get a re-use of it.

i find that whilst the items are nice, they arnt game breaking. monsters seem to have so many good uses not to take. a chimera for instance, can have 10 attacks, poison , a breathe weapon and armour piercing.
i run one so it can hit a unit, and destroy it , as your looking at 28 attacks with very good rolls, using the brethe weapon. and you cause terror!

very nice for a first turn fulcrum charge.

also remember that chamelion skink are -2 for shooting at a fulcrum , -1 for moving, -1 multiple shots, so they rarely will get a poison shot off at a fulcrum.
and against a monster , they wont be in range long, with the amount of flying creatures.

Vsurma
26-07-2011, 10:26
Life does the same as light in terms of casting a lot of spells for few dice, light on the other hand is more about buffs and less about dmg, seeing as I expect to see little combat by playing defensively life seems better it allows me to keep my units alive, also dwellers kills mages.

Life has banishment which will be wicked vs fulcrums and the flaming on the basic magic missile is nice as well but the other spells are all buffs which I feel are les suseful.

When it comes to basic spells I prefer life in my army, with the new spells Time amok seems fairly mad! would give me an extra 60 poison shots and another 6 flame templates :) madness

Still the new life spells seem to make the army fairly invincible, I can bring dead units back to life! So for the moment I prefer life over light.

The slann is very questionable at 800 points (though I do recall running a 1100 pts slann last edition) but if I take a "cheap" slann at say 350 and puzzlebox that is already 600, so I dunno.

If I move the fulcrum to withint short range for skinks they can fire dual shots without moving and still poison :)

Your right about the cost of magic items though, many seem nice until you REALLY consider the cost, indeed they cost as much as say adding a dragon to your army. For that reason I wouldn't consider many of them.

I think life is very flexible though, imagine your chimera charging a mage on a fulcrum (ideally a cheap one if I play things right) he wins, kills a mage. I now drop a blood forrest on him and 2d6 S4/6 hits, then every spell I target in that forrest hits him again and again with that damage.

Magic and monsters are where its at in STOM but I feel lizardmen are somewhat limited in what we can take, since we have no access to lores outside of 1 loremaster slann and then heaven skinks, if you want other magic you have to take STOM casters and this eats up the points allowance.

Now I could change the puzzle for a monster, perhaps I will later on, atm I don't have a chimera model so I will give this a try. I have rhinox models but they won't shift a mage off a fulcrum.

I think the salamanders and their d6 flaming shots each and the skinks should do it though.

drear
26-07-2011, 10:34
remember that you dont count the som item to your magical allowance or %. its just extra in your monster and magic allowance (:

i had great fun with a old blood with a wizarding hat! lore of metal on a unit of saurus was very unexpected.

do the rhinox and a puzzlebox really come to 600 points? i cant remember points values exactly but that sounds like around 300?

Spiney Norman
26-07-2011, 10:48
First try what you think?

From what I have heard from people playing it normal units seem less important with mages being key (makes sense)

Slann, rumination, mystery, cogitation, soul of stone, cupped hands
Bane head, discipline banner, bsb, mr3
Puzzlebox 825pts wtf!?

Skink priest, cloak of feathers, dispel scroll
Skink priest, cube of darkness

Dark emissary lv3

24 temple Guard
Full command, flaming banner

24 Saurus warriors
Full command

10 Chamo skinks
10 Chamo skinks
10 Chamo skinks

3 Salamanders
3 Salamanders

Rhinox

The way I see it the slann needs to stay alive for my army to work (though perhaps not) and he does cost an arm and 37 legs in price.

Also worth noting is that a slann with templeguard cannot actually take a fullcrum since the templeguard won't let him leave the unit so templeguard might not actually be worth having.

A slann with the puzzlebox is going to be really hard to shift as most of the time he will have +d3 stats (so T5-7 with 3+ ward save) and he is stubborn with the bsb so I might want to drop the guard and take normal saurus instead.

The way I see it with the lore of shadow I won't have to be doing much attacking as I can just move the fulcrums to my deployment zone so basically what I want is a defensive army.

I was thinking life on the slann, shadow on the emissary and 2 heavens mages should do the trick with magic.

Slann keeps everyone alive and kills enemy mages with dual and dwellers, shadow lore brings enemy fulcrums to within blowpipe and flamer range and kills enemy monsters with pitt of shadows. Heavens gives me rerolls and push to keep the enemy from reaching me.

Thoughts? the 800pts slann is questionable of course but it does rarely die in normal games, no idea how it will work this time round.

The Slann cannot be given the puzzlebox if he also has the cupped hands because they are both arcane items (he also doesn't really need the cupped hands if he use the Lore of life, esp if you're giving him lore master). Bear in mind you can't be given a mythic artifact if you already carry a magic item of the same type.

Vsurma
26-07-2011, 11:30
remember that you dont count the som item to your magical allowance or %. its just extra in your monster and magic allowance (:

i had great fun with a old blood with a wizarding hat! lore of metal on a unit of saurus was very unexpected.

do the rhinox and a puzzlebox really come to 600 points? i cant remember points values exactly but that sounds like around 300?

puzzlebox
rhinox
dark emissary

610 pts so I am over the limit actually but since there are no stom tournaments coming yet it won't matter.

Good catch on the cupped hands, I guess I will make due with throne of vines and soul of stone. I will just throw lots of dice at throne of vines.

drear
26-07-2011, 11:34
if you were to take out the dark emmisary you could take somthing else that would be more killy, and just summon a lvl2 elf wizard first turn , give him the lore of death or shadow or whatever you need.

Vsurma
26-07-2011, 14:38
What? how do I do this, people keep talking about it but I haven't found anything that allows this?

Where do I look?

drear
27-07-2011, 08:39
the new storm of magic book has it in the magic section.

thesheriff
27-07-2011, 09:51
if you were to take out the dark emmisary you could take somthing else that would be more killy, and just summon a lvl2 elf wizard first turn , give him the lore of death or shadow or whatever you need.

This may be just my sense of fluff pride, but as far as a lizardmen additional wizard is concerned, would you not be better off with a Zoat trotting around?

thesheriff

drear
27-07-2011, 10:03
somthing about a 400 point character with 4 wounds, wandering about on his own, unable to receive a los from anything becuase hes on a 40mm base..

personally id rather fill that slot with somthing that can breathe fire or shoot lazer beams

Vsurma
27-07-2011, 15:15
This may be just my sense of fluff pride, but as far as a lizardmen additional wizard is concerned, would you not be better off with a Zoat trotting around?

thesheriff

Actually I do feel something for this, though I was thinking of taking the Fimir, he is a lizard and has cold blooded so fits the lizardmen quite well. Cheaper as well AND his channeling ability should add another dice to the casting pool.

The bonus to casting from the dark emissary is kind of nice though, going for the absolute max in magic.

Rumination slann so a lv4 with a free dice per spell
Essentially a lv4 shadow
Then a few lv2 heavens.

The living deadwood staff is also starting to appeal to me a great deal on a slann.

I could take both the dark emissary, fimir, and the deadwood staff.
Full lore of life
3 spells from shadow
3 spells from death
4 from heaven

I think shadow and life will work well together, shadow stealing enemy fulcrums and life making new woods to put infront of the fulcrums to make them tough for the enemy to assualt.