PDA

View Full Version : Ranking Up High Elves

Richmt11
26-07-2011, 09:17
Alright Guys,

Just making some movement trays right now and I'm wondering tactically how is best to rank up my high elves?

I'm making some 7x4 trays for my elites (PG SM WL) and am wondering what size units and formaion I should be taking spear elves, archers and dragon princes!

Help appreciated!

Rich

BBWags
26-07-2011, 10:44
7 wide is definitely good for the Killy elites like swordmasters and white lions, but I usually only go 2 deep on them. That gives you a fairly cheap but very powerful hammer unit. Phoenix guard, however, are more of a surviving steadfast unit with their ward save and low damage, so I run them 5 wide and as deep as you have points to put into them, 5x4 at least.

Spearmen, LSG are the same way, set them up for steadfast, 5xDEEP. Archers want to get as many shots off each turn so anything from 5 to 10 wide and 2 deep. These formations help each unit do what it's designed to do to the max potential.

Edit- and for the dragon princes, probably 5 wide there as well just because you want them to be as maneuverable as possible and due to their expense, you probably won't to be taking too many of them anyway. Sony forget the standard of ellyrion for them! :-)

drear
26-07-2011, 10:47
horde! i love running seaguard in a horde of 50 thats alot of ranks attacking , and gives you 5 ranks for steadfast.

but if you want to mkinimise attacks whilst still having a good number of attacks back, you might want to go with 7-8 wide.

EnternalVoid
27-07-2011, 04:42
I would go with the 7x3 or 7x4, likely two depending on how large you are going. The reason for this is 7x2 for Swordmasters and White Lions is common, but any additions of a character pushes them into a third rank.

For phoenix guard I would likely go 5 wide and deep, if I was reduing my stuff I would get two 5x4 and use them. Back to back so I could do 20+ phoenix guard easily and still be able to remove the back tray when I get reduced to 20. Same with spears as I often take 35-40 of them. That said having those two 7x3 or 7x4 trays can let you go wider with your spears if you come up with some reason.

Richmt11
27-07-2011, 12:45
Thanks for the input guys.

I've made two 5x4 trays for Phoenix Guard and am making a host of 7x3 for other specials. Then gonna rank up my spear elves with 7x4 trays and also gonna make a couple of 10x4 trays incase I go horde anytime...

Think that's all for now. Not gonna make any cav ones as not fielding many DPs so can run em off trays for now.

If anybody has anymore tray suggestions let me know I got a tonne of mats!!

Rich

Trains_Get_Robbed
28-07-2011, 00:30
7-wides and 5-wides are the way to go. Perhaps one Horde tray with about room for 40 at 3,000 point games and up, taking a large Hordestar of P.G or S.M becomes viable.

Goldenwolf
01-08-2011, 23:03
Has anyone tried a block of 50 spearmen in horde? Will the rules let all 50 attack? 3 ranks horde, 1 rank spears, 1 rank High Elf Spears

winterking07
03-08-2011, 04:29
Has anyone tried a block of 50 spearmen in horde? Will the rules let all 50 attack? 3 ranks horde, 1 rank spears, 1 rank High Elf Spears

The rules will give you 50 attacks, yes. 51, even, if you spring for a champion.

The rules also give your opponents a beautiful, almost-scatter-free*, poorly maneuverable target for template-death magic, stonethrowers, mortars, hellcannons, and lots else. Plus, most other opposing hordes can outlast you in combat, even with your 51 attacks, since your spears are only S3. (unless you buff your spears with Occam's or Life or something, and multiple smaller units of spears will be just as effective, if not more so, with that sort of augment.)

It ends up being quite a few eggs to put into a single S3 T3 5+ armor basket. I never field my elves in hordes, but if I did, I think I'd go for a horde of PG or WL before a horde of spears.

*by which I mean that an awful lot of scatter rolls will still hit a ton of elves.

Trodger87
03-08-2011, 08:42
Horde of SM is good as well. Even if you are whittled down (and therefore reform), you still have the extra attacks to back you up. Never gone for a horde of spears and probably never will just because you gain so little in doing so and lose so much

ihavetoomuchminis
03-08-2011, 08:49
Spearmen (i've always thought that this word can be mispelled in a very bad way) and Lothern Sea GUard are good in 7x4 formations. They all attack, and it's better to have 2 7x4 units than a single 50 man unit.