PDA

View Full Version : Necromancer - 1995pts

Jolly Puggles
26-07-2011, 13:21
For a long time I've wanted to collect a second army, preferably something I could ally with my Skaven. So, what better "unholy alliance" than with the Undead? However, I've never much liked Vampires and I can't see Tomb Kings forging an alliance with the ratling hordes. So that really only leaves a Necromancer, but without a 'generic' or 'Necomancers' Undead army book, I'm gonna have to use Vampire Counts, re-fluffed as Necromancers. So, here's my preliminary thoughts...

Lords
"Aelric Ashstaff, Master Necromancer" - [Vampire Lord] (385pts)
- Powers: Forbidden Lore (Lore of Death), Dark Acolyte, Lord of the Dead
- Magic Items: The Accursed Armour, The Carstein Ring

Aelric was once a member of the Amethyst Order, a Master Wizard in good standing. Just having knowledge of Shyish, the Purple Wind of Magic, was not enough though; he wanted practical experience. Whilst exploring some long forgotten tomb, his life was changed when his soul was shattered by the baleful touch of a Wight. Though he managed to destroy the creature, his life hung by a thread and it was only through the use of forbidden knowledge he'd learned from his adventures that he managed to patch his broken spirit back together and keep a foot in the realm of the living. The rituals and magic he used, however, left his mind warped and his body broken; half alive and half dead.
Since that fateful day, Aelric has dedicated himself to perfecting the enchantments that maintain his grip on life and in the process learned more of the living dead than any sane man has a right to know. He now walks at the head of an army of the undead in search of yet more forbidden lore and posseses both a supernatural physique and the knowledge to snuff out life with nothing but a thought. He is rumoured to be prowling the Border Princes and Worlds Edge Mountains and that he cannot be killed by mortal hand. What is true, however, is that wherever he treads, his name is spoken in dread.

Heroes (490pts)
"Deitrich Geist, Bound Soul" - [Vampire] (150pts)
- Powers: Spectral Form

Deitrich Geist loathes his existence. He considers himself an abomination, an affront to the natural order and a monster, most vile. He, however, does not have a choice. Summoned by and slaved to Aelrics dark magic, his will is almost completely dominated by that of the Necromancer. Why Aelric chose Deitrich to be his slave is beyond his ken, as he does not remember his life; only the torture that his existance has been since he was ripped screaming from the afterlife. In battle, Deitrich leads and sustains a small contingent of Wraiths, screaming his frustration to the winds as he rends those his master calls foe, limb from limb.

"Fahnenträger, Wight" - [Wight King BSB] (140pts)
- Magic Items: Screaming Banner

Fahnenträger, the Banner Bearer, is just that. A creature with a singlular purpose; to carry Aelrics' personal standard. It barely has a personality to speak of although, unlike most of Aelrics' minions, it at least has a will of its own. Fahnenträger marches implacably at the head of Aelrics warband, holding aloft a tattered standard fashioned from the skins of the free-thinking people and bound with malevolent purpose.

"The Collector, Necromancer" - [Necromancer] (200pts)
- Spells: Invocation of Nehek, Vanhel's Danse Macabre
- Magic Items: Wristbands of Black Gold
- Mount: Balefire Corpse Cart

The creature known as The Collector is Aelrics' apprentice in the dark arts. He commands a column of vile wagons and carts that contain the Master Necromancers magical artefacts, arcane tomes and scrolls of forbidden knowledge. From this column, he does all the dirty work of exhuming bodies, pillaging tombs and robbing graveyards, collecting and collating samples, treasures and books. The collected evil contained within these carts creates an aura of dire interferance in the Winds of Magic that makes spellcasting both difficult and dangerous.

Core Units
25 Skeleton Warriors (245pts)
- Full Command
- War Banner

2x 15 Ghouls (2x128pts =256pts)
- Ghast

2x Corpse Cart (2x100pts =200pts)
- Balefire

Special Units
13 Grave Guard (219pts)
- Standard Bearer, Musician
- Banner of the Barrows

Rare Units
4 Cairn Wraiths (200pts)

Aelric and the BSB will be leading the Grave Guard and Deitrich will be leading the Wraiths. Comments and criticism please (and if you've any suggestions on how I could spend the extra 5pts to make it 2000, that would be appreciated too!).

thesheriff
26-07-2011, 22:41
I was liking everything until I got to core. I don't care how much they suck, a necromancer army should have zombies for core.

Your biggest starting unit (that isnt a bunker) is 15. Now, since many people general consensus is that raise from scratch lists don't work (the winds of magic being too unpredictable) you need bulk.

I'd suggest dropping the skellies and grave guard. For more ghouls and spirits.

thesheriff

Jolly Puggles
27-07-2011, 00:48
I'd suggest dropping the skellies and grave guard. For more ghouls and spirits.

Originally, I wanted the army to be Zombies, Grave Guard, Spirits and Wraiths, backed up by characters and Corpse Carts. No Black Coach, no Varghulf, no Bats (giant or otherwise) or Wolves. Certainly no Blood Knights. Ghouls I somewhat differed on...to me, Ghouls aren't really undead and didn't really fit the theme, but I figured that I could justify a few as "camp followers".

The Skeletons are really only in the list to A) make up the Core Points and B) give me an extra Banner. Ghouls, point for point, blow the Skeles out of the water, but I really wanted to steer clear of large numbers of Ghouls.

Zombies do suck...they suck really hard...and I was torn about not taking any. They're just too damned expensive for what you get. Even if your opponent fails his Fear test, you still need a 4+ to hit them. You can give them a (non-magical) banner though. If I did go with Zombies, though, I would probably re-jig my Necromancer to have Raise Dead and the Scepter de Noirot...or would that be a waste of time? I'm seeing that combo being particularly nasty, given that if you get a Raise Dead off, you're automatically summoning a Disrupting unit that you can then Vanhel's into someones flank. It would make my Necromancer vulnerable though, 'cos I'd have to drop the Wristbands. I'll have a re-think about the Zombies...

I'm not too fussed about power dice with this army...my Master Necromancer, Loremastering Death should be able to drum up a few extra dice if the Winds aren't playing nice. Should I switch Dark Acolyte for Master of the Black Arts? I was put off because the dice count against the maximum power limit and 50pts seems a lot for something that might not be used (although, to be fair, it almost always will).

I was also wondering whether to ditch the BSB for another Necromancer. I've already got 3 spellslingers, is a 4th too many? Is the BSB that valuable to Undead or could I leave it at home?

laribold
27-07-2011, 15:56
I'm not a VC player so take this with a large pinch of whatever you fancy, but couldn't a HUGE Zombie Horde simply be made better by the use of a Helm of Commandment Vampire behind it (maybe in place of your Wight King BSB?)

I mean WS6 Zombies are all of a sudden a whole lot better. It would also fit fluff/theme wise with the idea of the Zombies being strictly controlled by the will of a quick-witted Necromantic.

Also having all the Zombies in one shambling horde would seem to fit the theme well too.

For the cost of your Skeleton Unit you can have nigh on 60 Zombies! Even in Horde formation that would still give you tons of ranks to negate steadfast.

Might not be the most competitive, but it certainly seems to fit the grave-robbing necromantic theme better.

Jolly Puggles
27-07-2011, 16:12
Ok, I've had a little re-think and decided to go with Zombies after all. Here's the latest incarnation (I've Bolded changes to the Lords and Heroes and omitted any of the fluff-text that's identical)...

Lords
"Aelric Ashstaff, Master Necromancer" - [Vampire Lord] (455pts)
- Options: +1 Magic Level
- Powers: Forbidden Lore (Lore of Death), Master of the Black Arts, Lord of the Dead
- Magic Items: The Accursed Armour, The Carstein Ring

Heroes (430pts)
"Deitrich Geist, Bound Soul" - [Vampire BSB] (210pts)
- Magic Banner: Royal Standard of Strigos
- Powers: Spectral Form

Deitrich Geist loathes his existence. He considers himself an abomination, an affront to the natural order and a monster, most vile. He, however, does not have a choice. Summoned by and slaved to Aelrics dark magic, his will is almost completely dominated by that of the Necromancer. Why Aelric chose Deitrich to be his slave is beyond his ken, as he does not remember his life; only the torture that his existance has been since he was ripped screaming from the afterlife. Deitrichs’ rage, amplified by foul sorcery, is such that in battle he wrenches lesser spirits from their rest to fight by his side. The combined anguish of these spirits serves to fuel the dark magic that sustains the rest of the army, invigorating and sustaining their unliving existence.

"The Collector, Necromancer" - [Necromancer] (220pts)
- Spells: Raise Dead, Vanhel's Danse Macabre
- Magic Items: Sceptre de Noirot, Ruby Ring of Ruin
- Mount: Balefire Corpse Cart

Core Troops (912pts)
10 Skeleton Warriors [100pts]
- Full Command

2x 30 Zombies [256pts] (2x128pts)
- Standard Bearer

2x 15 Crypt Ghouls [256pts] (2x128pts)
- Ghast

3x Corpse Cart [300pts] (3x100pts)
- Balefire

Rare Troops
4 Cairn Wraiths [200pts]

---------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to drop the Wight King BSB, hoping to boost the effectiveness of the Wraiths unit. With a Banner, "Vampire" and Hatred, they should be able to produce some fairly hefty Combat Res, even without a supporting unit.

2 units of 30 Zombies is a nice big base which I can expand upon if neccesary with Invocation. I didn't want to go with the Helm of Commandment...didn't quite seem right for my theme and I was struggling for points as it is. Maybe in a higher points list it'll get a look in.

3 Corpse Carts (4 including The Collector) means I've got some serious magical lockdown going on...a Lvl.3 Wizard (Aelric) and -4 to enemy cast rolls means I can sit on anything that needs dispelling relatively easily.

The Collector (Necromancer) got Raise Dead and the Sceptre...he's more vulnerable than he was, but I really like the idea of being able to summon a Disrupting unit with one spell and Flank-Charging with the next. Combined with my Hatred-fueled Wraiths, I think I'm on to a winning combo!

Maoriboy007
27-07-2011, 23:01
I'm not a VC player so take this with a large pinch of whatever you fancy, but couldn't a HUGE Zombie Horde simply be made better by the use of a Helm of Commandment Vampire behind it (maybe in place of your Wight King BSB?)Not really, its the Toughness and strength 2 thats the real problem. Zombies suck hard, you can buff them with magic , Items or whatever but you're still polishing a fairly soft **** :)