PDA

View Full Version : Of Carcharodons and Space Wolves

TheLaughingGod
27-07-2011, 08:09
The Space Sharks are now Officially known as Carcharodons.

Why aren't the Space Wolves known as the Canis Chapter?

Surely, that would sound less stupid.

Castigator
27-07-2011, 08:20
So you'd have Canis-claw-wielding Canis-Lords riding Thunder-Canis with their Canis-Banner-carrying Canis-Guard close by?

Um.. no.

There is no redeeming the outrageous idiocy of this chapter. GW should just let them go the way of the squats and be done with it.

Lord Damocles
27-07-2011, 09:01
The information in their Badab War entry notes that they're also known as ''Carcharodon Astra' and various low gothic derivations of the same' - ie. they're still called the Space Sharks, depending on who you ask.

Canis Astra or whatever Space Wolves would translate as still sounds pretty goofy.

TheLaughingGod
27-07-2011, 09:24
The information in their Badab War entry notes that they're also known as ''Carcharodon Astra' and various low gothic derivations of the same' - ie. they're still called the Space Sharks, depending on who you ask.

Canis Astra or whatever Space Wolves would translate as still sounds pretty goofy.

A lot of things look goofy in Latin if you think about them with an English mindset.

That said, that's interesting. Does that mean that perhaps, other Chapters have "correct" High Gothic names as well?

Gatsby
27-07-2011, 12:21
Lupus Astra, Atrum Angelus, Cruor Angelus, Ferrum Manuum (hmm, same as their chapter masters name)

MarshalFaust
27-07-2011, 19:01
Space wolves call themselves the Vlka Fenryka, i believe it translates as the Wolves of Fenris

Inquisitor Engel
27-07-2011, 20:16
Space wolves call themselves the Vlka Fenryka, i believe it translates as the Wolves of Fenris

Which sounds awesome.

PANZERBUNNY
27-07-2011, 21:06
GW has trouble making any new and interesting fluff and resort to rehash and "update". I'm pretty sure there are other major conflicts they can think up within the borders of the Imperium that doesn't require them to dig up old material from when I was like...8.

I like the polish and big book that is done, but it feels that they are simply rummaging through old writing and need to concentrate on some material that will make people get excited with the content again.

Wishing
27-07-2011, 23:05
Pretty much anything with the word "space" in it sounds very 80's and quite outdated from the point of view of the current 40k aesthetic in my view, and the whole Space Sharks thing indicates that FW seems to agree with this. I don't know if GW would ever want to shake things up enough that they would rename the Space Wolves into Wolves of Fenris or something equally better, or even - shock horror - think of a cool sounding alternative to "Space Marines", but even if they don't, I like the new FW approach of saying that different names for the same thing are still legit from a canon point of view. Since both Carcharodons and Space Sharks are considered "correct" names for the chapter, just in different languages, there's no reasons not to locally adopt cool sounding names for stupid sounding things if a group feels so inclined. :)

Asbjorn Nightrunner
27-07-2011, 23:53
Pretty much anything with the word "space" in it sounds very 80's and quite outdated from the point of view of the current 40k aesthetic in my view, and the whole Space Sharks thing indicates that FW seems to agree with this. I don't know if GW would ever want to shake things up enough that they would rename the Space Wolves into Wolves of Fenris or something equally better, or even - shock horror - think of a cool sounding alternative to "Space Marines", but even if they don't, I like the new FW approach of saying that different names for the same thing are still legit from a canon point of view. Since both Carcharodons and Space Sharks are considered "correct" names for the chapter, just in different languages, there's no reasons not to locally adopt cool sounding names for stupid sounding things if a group feels so inclined. :)

Well space marine is a colloquial translation to adeptus astaries anyway so the point is moot even if I do agree

Inquisitor Engel
28-07-2011, 07:16
think of a cool sounding alternative to "Space Marines", b

You mean something like, Adeptus Astartes? :eyebrows:

Sidenote, I think it's actually an interesting point that in the Horus Heresy series, it's VERY rare that they're called "Space Marines." They are much, much more frequently referred to as "Astartes." (No Adeptus yet though)

MarshalFaust
28-07-2011, 07:28
I really wish they would start referring to them as The Adeptus Astartes on the front their Codex as well.

Wishing
28-07-2011, 08:58
I really wish they would start referring to them as The Adeptus Astartes on the front their Codex as well.

When I asked for an alternative I was thinking of something in english, like Wolves of Fenris, but you're right that there seems to be pseudo-latin versions to use for many of the offending terms (and they've just abandoned the term "space orks" entirely I guess).

And it's true that the "real" name of any group is defined by what they are called in the rules, so if GW ever want to lose the "space" moniker entirely, the Codex names have to change. The problem with the latin is that it just doesn't have any reference points for people who aren't into the game already. A 12 year old in a store that doesn't play but sees the Codex might think "Space Marines - so they're like elite soldiers, in space? Thats cool". If the Codex name was in latin, he would probably think "Adeptus Astartes? I don't know how to pronounce or spell that and I don't know what it means. What a sucky name for those otherwise cool looking space dudes on the cover".

Mánagarmr
28-07-2011, 09:08

Which shows they're moving away from the more 80's cartoonish names like Space Wolf, Shark, etc. It's a pretty awesome retcon for both.

This feels like a baited thread though.

SgtTaters
28-07-2011, 09:31
The Space Sharks are now Officially known as Carcharodons.

Why aren't the Space Wolves known as the Canis Chapter?

Surely, that would sound less stupid.

Which shows they're moving away from the more 80's cartoonish names like Space Wolf, Shark, etc. It's a pretty awesome retcon for both.

It's not any less cartoony though, and possibly even more cartoony.

For example, 'Screaming Eagles' is a real life name for a US army infantry division.
'Sea Wolf' is the name of a class of submarines
'Super Eagle' is a jet fighter, etc.

Vikings were often described as 'sea wolves', the Space Wolves chapter are Vikings, in space. It fits well enough.

Carcharodons and faux latin or whatever pilfered words from dead language is more like something from a forgettable scifi novel. It's a move towards generic sci fi instead of being 40k, that's not really anything to brag about.

Hedgehobbit
28-07-2011, 13:16
The problem with the latin is that it just doesn't have any reference points for people who aren't into the game already. A 12 year old in a store that doesn't play but sees the Codex might think "Space Marines - so they're like elite soldiers, in space? Thats cool". If the Codex name was in latin, he would probably think "Adeptus Astartes? I don't know how to pronounce or spell that and I don't know what it means. What a sucky name for those otherwise cool looking space dudes on the cover".
I've long maintained that one of the primary reasons for 40k's success has been the assessibility of the game world. It is easy to quickly figure out what is what and who is who. I have lost count of the number of sci-fi mini games that have come and gone with a bunch of factions with indistiquishable random-sounding names (from warzone to AT-43). Changing a chapter's name to something to something that needs to be googled to be understood is IMHO a very bad descision. Besides why did they do it to my space sharks instead of an already lame chapter like Red Scorpions?!?!?!

Vaktathi
28-07-2011, 13:47
Space wolves call themselves the Vlka Fenryka, i believe it translates as the Wolves of FenrisThis is, IIRC, only from a single book portraying the SW's during pre-heresy times, the same book where they call anyone referring to "the fang" as "the fang" instead of "the aett" an idiot. :p

MarshalFaust
28-07-2011, 14:51
I've long maintained that one of the primary reasons for 40k's success has been the assessibility of the game world. It is easy to quickly figure out what is what and who is who. I have lost count of the number of sci-fi mini games that have come and gone with a bunch factions with indistiquishable random-sounding names (from warzone to AT-43). Changing a chapter's name to something to something that needs to be googled to be understood is IMHO a very bad descision. Besides why did they do it to my space sharks instead of an already lame chapter like Red Scorpions?!?!?!

Thats actually a very good point that I had not considered. Having been involved with this hobby for so long its sometimes hard to see it the way a beginner would.

Tastyfish
28-07-2011, 16:06
A lot of things look goofy in Latin if you think about them with an English mindset.

That said, that's interesting. Does that mean that perhaps, other Chapters have "correct" High Gothic names as well?

Weren't the Ultramarines known as the "Warrior Kings of Ultramar"?

Mánagarmr
28-07-2011, 21:57
Carcharodons and faux latin or whatever pilfered words from dead language is more like something from a forgettable scifi novel. It's a move towards generic sci fi instead of being 40k, that's not really anything to brag about.

I don't care as much for the Carcharodon's, but again, it's one of their titles. It even states some still refer to them as Space Sharks. Nothing has been diminished by this. The only thing that's changed is there are now more options. It's like the Ultramarines, who I personally feel have kind of a lame name, being called Warrior Kings of Ultramar, which sounds badass.

Having more options isn't negative. :eyebrows:

This is, IIRC, only from a single book portraying the SW's during pre-heresy times, the same book where they call anyone referring to "the fang" as "the fang" instead of "the aett" an idiot. :p

It's also in Battle of the Fang.

Theocracity
28-07-2011, 22:41
I've long maintained that one of the primary reasons for 40k's success has been the assessibility of the game world. It is easy to quickly figure out what is what and who is who. I have lost count of the number of sci-fi mini games that have come and gone with a bunch of factions with indistiquishable random-sounding names (from warzone to AT-43). Changing a chapter's name to something to something that needs to be googled to be understood is IMHO a very bad descision. Besides why did they do it to my space sharks instead of an already lame chapter like Red Scorpions?!?!?!

I think anyone who cares about the Chacharadons is already initiated in the minutiae of 40K fandom. It isn't like they're leading their sales pitches with "Hey kids, want to learn about the Badab War?"

If you know about the Chacharadons you've probably already learned about their history as the Space Sharks. Besides, it's not terribly hard to figure out from their theme.

Faeslayer
28-07-2011, 22:58
I never got the whole "Space [blank] sounds stupid" thing.

-some real army divisions have hellsa stupid names, so maybe I'm just used to it? I guess it's funny until your forces are under fire by the "Armoraiders" or "Old Hickory".

-it's 38 thousand years in the future... if things didn't sound a little weird to us primitive folk here in M2, then that itself would be weird.

-TONS of Space Marine chapters already have goofy names... as I came to learn of 40k, I gleaned that it's kinda given that goofy chapter names are a Space Marine thing. They're even called Space Marines. Anyone is welcome to laugh... as long as there aren't Space Marines around. :D

Theocracity
28-07-2011, 23:06
This is why I think Space Sharks is a dumb name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Sharks

Jawsome.

I'd prefer if names like Adeptus Astartes and Wolves of Fenris were more common (even though the latter essentially means Wolves of Wolf). But I understand they need to market to new players who may not know much of 40K's background.

Cacharodons? No one who doesn't know 40K is going to hear about them anyway - and if they do, they'll learn their old name at the same time. Might as well use the name that fits the setting better.

Faeslayer
28-07-2011, 23:10
This is why I think Space Sharks is a dumb name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Sharks

Jawsome.

Because you still remember Street Sharks and you conflate the two?

I don't think this kind of thing needs to be justified, of course- people like what they like.

Theocracity
28-07-2011, 23:15
Bloody double post.

Theocracity
28-07-2011, 23:16
Because you still remember Street Sharks and you conflate the two?

I don't think this kind of thing needs to be justified, of course- people like what they like.

If you like Space Sharks that's fine - I just think Chacarodons gives them a much more threatening vibe that fits the setting better.

But I'm just sayin' - slap an astronaut helmet on those things and you've got the Space Sharks.

JAWSOME.

Tastyfish
28-07-2011, 23:18
Space sharks do pre-date street sharks by a decade though.

Theocracity
28-07-2011, 23:29
Space sharks do pre-date street sharks by a decade though.

Technically just 6 years. But they're from the same period of late 80s to the mid 90s that I just can't take seriously anymore.

Just personal preference I guess.

(jawsome)

Abaraxas
29-07-2011, 06:17
I dont have a problem with the name SPACE SHARKS or SPACE WOLVES...hell, even RAINBOW WARRIORS is pretty cool :cheese:

chromedog
29-07-2011, 06:52
Technically just 6 years. But they're from the same period of late 80s to the mid 90s that I just can't take seriously anymore.

Just personal preference I guess.

(jawsome)

ANYMORE?

I NEVER took that time period seriously, so I guess it's easy to just overlook the goofiness amid the rest of the goofiness. 40k was never a game that took itself too seriously (that was always an issue with a certain percentage of players).

Wishing
29-07-2011, 08:50
I never got the whole "Space [blank] sounds stupid" thing.

-some real army divisions have hellsa stupid names, so maybe I'm just used to it? I guess it's funny until your forces are under fire by the "Armoraiders" or "Old Hickory".

-it's 38 thousand years in the future... if things didn't sound a little weird to us primitive folk here in M2, then that itself would be weird.

-TONS of Space Marine chapters already have goofy names... as I came to learn of 40k, I gleaned that it's kinda given that goofy chapter names are a Space Marine thing. They're even called Space Marines. Anyone is welcome to laugh... as long as there aren't Space Marines around. :D

It sounds to me that you agree that "Space X" sounds stupid, but it's supposed to sound stupid and everything else does too so it's ok?

It's a fair enough argument, I just personally think that some of the stupid stuff in the game sounds less stupid than other things. For some reason, Blood Angels just doesn't make me want to shake my head as much as Space Squirrels does. Even if there is a real life unit of elite soldiers called the Space Squirrels, it doesn't change how I feel about names like that.

Webwolf
29-07-2011, 21:03

Like in the movie "Dragonheart" where the dragon objects to being called "Dragon", and when the knight names the dragon after the Dragon star-sign (Draco), the dragon states "so instead of calling me dragon in your tongue, you call me dragon in some other tongue?"

SgtTaters
30-07-2011, 02:15
Having more options isn't negative. :eyebrows:

Well you're looking at it not so much an option as it is a completely superior way to go about things. Then again, I like 80's cartoons.

The only name that's kind of annoying now is Blood Ravens. There's Blood Angels and Ravenguard already. They then wear red armor, sort of Blood Angels like.

My favorites are probably what the Chaos Marine chapters have. World Eaters, Word Bearers, Thousand Sons, they have a feeling of ancient terror.