PDA

View Full Version : Can I cast the new STOM spells without being on a fulcrum?

Vsurma
27-07-2011, 08:46
They have different spells for each level of dominance of the fulcrums but can my mage that is not on one, still cast if other mages control some of the fulcrums?

So mage A is on a fulcrum, can mage B who has the lore of fire cast the fireball barage, which is the presence level spell when he himself is not on the fulcrum?

Lord Inquisitor
27-07-2011, 08:51
While it would make sense that only wizards On fulcrums get cataclysmics, it seems this is not the case. Several of the cataclysmics seem to be obviously designed to be used by wizards not on fulcrums.

So yes. If you have presence, equilibrium or dominance, all your wizards get their cataclysmics.

drear
27-07-2011, 09:25
yep apprently you can...but its always nice to have them on a fulcrum.

Lord Inquisitor
27-07-2011, 09:29
Except for the fact that there's no actual benefit from casting from a fulcrum and a considerable risk from fulcrum miscasts...

wilsongrahams
27-07-2011, 13:51
As covered, you can always cast all spells in your game based on your magic level from all wizards. However your wizard gets his ward save casting from one so he has some protection from the extra monstera that are flying about.

I admit it's not all that clear as a lot of the fluff describes the extra power coming from being on a fulcrum, but it's just army based. Personally I'll be using Mages to grab fulcrums, and my Archmage will remain safe towards the rear of my army.

Vsurma
27-07-2011, 22:13
Except for the fact that there's no actual benefit from casting from a fulcrum and a considerable risk from fulcrum miscasts...

This ^^!

It does seem to go against the feel of the fluff but those be the rules.

The game is all about fulcrums but there is no real benefit, but huge drawbacks from placing your good mages on them.

Seems to me we need to send the pawns (lv1 mages) to take the objectives while the real mages sit in their bunkers.

NTJ2010
28-07-2011, 06:24
There is a benefit of a 3++ save (which is great for cheaper casters) and the immunity to stomp, thunderstomp, impact hits (I think?), and multiple wound attacks. Additionally only one model may attack you at a time.
The disadvantages are, not having a unit to protect, being able to be wizard dueled (pushed off a fulcrum taking a S10 hit) and of course the Arcane Miscasts.

As for fluff, I was with you before in thinking it doesn't seem very fluffy but my argument is, for doing what I do (cheap casters up top on the fulcrums with my good caster(s) down below doing the real work) is the other casters are "channeling the energy of the fulcrums" into the casters below (but the casters on the fulcrum take the bad part since they are the ones tapped in...)
but that's just how I excuse it.

decker_cky
28-07-2011, 06:51
Immunity to psychology is nice too, for wizards like goblin mages.

Spiney Norman
28-07-2011, 09:18
Immunity to psychology is nice too, for wizards like goblin mages.

The problem I've found with using goblin mages to occupy fulcrums is that they tend to get dueled off them very easily. LD5 wizards do not hold up well in the dueling process.

Vsurma
28-07-2011, 14:25
Indeed and since the dual is such a low casting value spell, you can bet there will be lots of duals. Another reason you don't want your good mages on the fulcrums but rather in units dualing enemy fulcrum holders.

drear
28-07-2011, 14:40
i find that dueling isnt sucha big deal, unless its a low ld army. i wish they had written it so if you lost the duel you took the hit, rather than just if you declare a duel and loose , nothing happens.