PDA

View Full Version : brass orb

stinkyslave
27-07-2011, 12:04
so im wondering how much luck have you skaven players had with a naked engineer throwing the brass orb? what are the tactics you use with it? and what is your approximate percentage of success?

Jolly Puggles
27-07-2011, 13:16
The Brass Orb is a tricky one. In theory, it can devastate low Initiative units but it's literally hit-or-miss. The low range (8"!) means that there's a distinct possibility of hitting yourself or friendlies or missing altogether. Then it's useless against High-I units like Elves. For 50pts (65 if you count the cost of the Warlock), it's just a little bit too unreliablefor a One-Use-Only. Even against I:3 you're only getting 50% kills out of those hit. I don't tend to take it myself, but I don't play against Dwarves (which is really the best army to use it against...low Initiative, Infantry-based army with heavy armour).

Here's some of the numbers:

Effective Range: Warlock March (10") + 8" = 18"
Maximum Range: 18"+10" Scatter = 28"
Chance of "Hit" = 10/36 = 27.8%
Chance of "Misfire" = 1/6 = 16.7%
Chance of Scatter towards yourself(!) = approx 10%

The actual chance of hitting the target unit depends on the size and shape of the unit in question and where you've put the template, but it's a good bet that if the Artillery dice is showing 6, 8 or 10 then you're going to miss the original target at least.

I've tried using The Brass Orb and I want to like it (Clan Skyre is my favvy Greater Clan), but I just can't justify the points spent...in some games it will pay for itself three times over, but in most it won't. If I had to put a number on my personal experiences of it, I'd have to say that it was worth taking in less than 20% of the games I've played with it.

lovedinplaster
27-07-2011, 14:35
It should be your second option of the three skrye toys. Possiby third if you know your metagame.

Doom rocket should be first always.

Can you stand and shoot the brass org and globe of death? Seeing as they are thrown weapons with quick to fire?

stinkyslave
28-07-2011, 03:02
wow guys.....those are both awesome replys.....please guys keep em coming.

russellmoo
28-07-2011, 05:26
First, I agree- if you have to choose take a doomrocket- it is better-

Second, the best and most reliable way I've seen the orb used is to Skitterleap the engineer to a spot in between enemy units, then you toss the orb in between the 2 units, hopefully already encompassing models in both units- this greatly decreases the chances of you missing with this weapon- don't worry about hitting the engineer- first he is 15pts, second he is I4

w3rm
28-07-2011, 05:32
Averages mean nothing to an item that can scatter. It will be useful vs almost every army except daemons (No really low I troops besides nurgle which you barely see anyway) and wood elves. Dark elves still have hydras which can be nuked rather nicely. High elves I am not familiar with.

Tuttivillus
10-08-2011, 00:19
steam tanks, which are very often present, monsters, especially now in SoM, human knights of all sorts. it's just mean against those targets. Doomrocket more like anti infantry weapon, and playig skaven - 65 pts., really? Think about how mche you can kill off with that little thing. Again, Storm of Magic is shiny spot for brass orb.

Djekar
10-08-2011, 03:13
I wouldn't really call it a waste of points even if your opponent has generally high I troops. Lots of monsters or characters or unique things (Cauldron, Anvil) have low or non-existant I, and so if you continually try to skitterleap an engineer around it is one more problem that the enemy has to account for in the magic phase - possibly allowing your bigger or more important spells to go through. It's all about saturation with the Skaven. And if they let the skitterleap through, it means that you get a chance to nuke a big toy with your much smaller toy. It's like a skaven version of win-win!

tmarichards
10-08-2011, 04:10
Another trick is to cast Skitterleap on random engineers, even if they don't have the Orb, when playing against players with Anvils/Cauldrons/Steam Tanks- they'll assume you do have it, and will commit their DD to trying to stop it going off.

As a DE player, with both a hydra and a Cauldron, the Brass Orb is a constant threat so stopping Skitterleap has to be one of my priorities.

wamphyri101
10-08-2011, 12:27
Have a mate who is amazingly lucky with Orb and rocket.

One game doom rocket killed 18 swordmasters.

Another he double 6'd skitter leap to next to my hellcannon and then killed it with the orb. In turn 1! Git.

I have also seen it thrown at a Slaan and Steggadion in different games and kill them also.

Brass orb, though might not always work, is a terror weapon. Your enemy will know/think you have it and be wary of what they do until its used.

Balerion
11-08-2011, 17:00
Can you stand and shoot the brass org and globe of death? Seeing as they are thrown weapons with quick to fire?
Unfortunately, no, you can't SaS with either of the orbs. As far as I can see they're not actually thrown weapons; they're unique items that use the rules for thrown weapons when they are activated. And the wording in their rules states that they are only eligible to be activated during the shooting phase.

I'm not convinced that this would have been GW's intent, given the ability of the usually more powerful, significantly cheaper Doomrocket to SaS, but unless they FAQ it that's the way it works.

stonegiant
12-08-2011, 09:01
awesome against Tomb Kings