PDA

View Full Version : Spamming

Sojourner
20-03-2005, 13:13
I've noticed with the new forums, there's once again a preponderance of spamming, stupid questions and rubbish posts. Excessive use of bandwidth was what doomed Portent I, both in terms of costs and in putting people off from generating intelligent discussion. Don't let Portent II go the same way.

So, requests. Users:

Stop spamming
Stop asking stupid questions
Stop responding to stupid questions
Report spamming from others

And Mods:

Tighten up on spamming
Move spammed threads to the wastes or lock them

Rant over. Am I overreacting here?

Baggers
20-03-2005, 13:22
No your not over reacting as we are on a tempory server which as it suggests it is a tempory thing till they get a nice new one. Then we should not try and strain it to much.

Wez
20-03-2005, 13:27
40k general is gonna give the mods a heart attack if people don't learn to read forum names. (http://www.portent.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)

Compare it to fantasy general (http://www.portent.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11). There may be less threads, but compare the calibre of the threads and number in the wrong forum...;) Anyway, I guess a lot of that is to do with it being the 2nd forum down.

Instead of locking, why not just delete idiotic threads? (http://www.portent.net/forums/showthread.php?t=204) (<-- Anyone wanna guess the forum before clicking the link?:p) It would save bandwidth wouldn't it?

Also, the chaos wastes contains around 1/3 of all Portent posts. I take it will become guilder/ mod only?

-Wez

Hywel
20-03-2005, 13:32
Welcome to the young puppy in a new room syndrome I mentioned in my... second post?
It's inevitable that some people will just go on a posting spree because presumably they were sat at their monitors chewing their fingers while portent was down, frenziedly hitting the refresh button.

Give a bored person a blank canvas and it will be filled, regardless of quality.

Whoever the mods are, they need to be more active. There is utter drivel out there. "How many magic dice can you get into 2kpts" or whatever the thread is instigated seizures.

Rabid Bunny 666
20-03-2005, 13:37
sorry, just curious, where would you have put it?

PelsBoble
20-03-2005, 13:38
I find it strange that people already got 190 posts... Like 90 posts a day is kinda strange...

Personally i could do without the wastes and the random musings until the new server was up, but i dont know if it actually would help

Hywel
20-03-2005, 13:48
sorry, just curious, where would you have put it?

I wouldn't have.

I'm awaiting the "favourite chaos god" poll.

Cade
20-03-2005, 13:50
I think we should close RM and other such useless, frivolous forums before the temporary server melts!

In fact, the Furture of Portent should be the only forum open!

Sojourner
20-03-2005, 13:57
Right, whoever's reading this, consider this an application for Mod-ship. I'm not sure who to direct it to so I'll just post it here.

Prefer to be confined to a sub-forum(s) I know something about i.e. 40k.

Eldacar
20-03-2005, 14:03
I'll apply as well, for Fantasy (just not rules).

[/random section of post written in an attempt to gain modship over a forum]

Close RM? You could, but then you'd need to keep the Wastes forum open to everybody. Kind of like the OT Forum on Asur.org, really. You need at least one forum for random stuff. Wastes and Random Musings both do that.

Brimstone
20-03-2005, 14:08
If you see posts you consider spam please report them.

gamehuis
20-03-2005, 14:18
I wouldn't have.

I'm awaiting the "favourite chaos god" poll.
Meh, nothing can top the High Elf revision thread...

I think we should close RM and other such useless, frivolous forums before the temporary server melts!

In fact, the Furture of Portent should be the only forum open!
Good point and IMO worthy of consideration.

SpectreLegacy
20-03-2005, 16:10
I can understand possibly closing everything but the future of portent area, but I feel the need to stand up to RM because, frankly, that's been the only reason I've been in Portent recently. I've been going through a blank phase where my interest in GW's games has fallen off a little bit but I still want to be a part of the Portent community, knowing it's only a short time until something pulls me right back in, and RM has always been the place to do that. I'd hate to see it killed off on its own. Ok, maybe a more careful watch for spam, but this place has, for me at least, been the heart and soul of Portent for some time now.

athamas
20-03-2005, 16:27
random musings is what kept portent different from other forums... it gave it individuality... and nid05's constant medical threads were always funny....

we need to get the comunity back, and in touch so we dont loose too many good ppl, the hanger-oners will hopefully drift away, but the good ppl will remain!

Cade
21-03-2005, 00:49
People need to realise that this temporary site is NOT capable of running the same amount of traffic as Portent used to.

Alot of posters seem to be carrying on as normal, which puts huge strain on te server.

IMO, the ONLY order of business has to be the purchase of a MONSTER server.

Until we have a solid piece of hardware to prop us up, this temporary site runs the risk of melting down in the same way as Portent did.

t-tauri
21-03-2005, 00:54
Spot on Cade. A few times today I've been unable to access the forums and we need to minimise the load and get a new server in.

Ass Goblin
21-03-2005, 01:12
As Cade said only having the Future of Portent forum open would be a much better idea than what we have now. All 40k General now is just the Wastes with the word 40k written in there somewhere to make it sound legit.

Pikachu
21-03-2005, 01:16
i really, really fail to see some peoples logic on this one...

ok, lets try to sort it out..

Portent dies--->mass outpouring of grief--->members band together to begin planning a new site--->new temp site made and launched--->members come back--->****** start behaving like a gang of **** sticks and cant see that it was due to their antics that the last site died.

the outcome = new site dies too.

its that simple.

Ass Goblin
21-03-2005, 01:21
I also fail to see the word 'grammer' In your vocabulary. Please if your going to insult the general public please use correct grammer.

Pikachu
21-03-2005, 01:32
oh no!!!, someone dares come on here and uses bad grammar!!!, lets ignore the fact that he just made a valid point about the downfall of the original site, and what could go wrong with the new one if people are allowed to go about unchecked etc...lets just concentrate on a few grammatical errors hes committed.

WOAH DUDE!!!, BAD GRAMMAR, BAD GRAMMAR!!!! OMG!! OMFG!!!1 BAD GRAMMAR!!!

have i made my point yet?

Marsekay
21-03-2005, 01:38
Chill chill!!!
I hate arguments popping up haha.

In my opinion, if someone makes a remark towards you, that you consider spam, i dont think you should reply to it with even more spam. either report it or ignore it.

I dont want to see anybody fall out!

Ass Goblin
21-03-2005, 01:38
While you made a valid point about the closure of the site. You still came across as a 12 year old boy who has not discovered the use of the 'Shift' key yet. And buy using swearing and calling everyone ****** sticks your not making a good name for yourself.

Pikachu
21-03-2005, 01:51
well put it this way.

The original portent died, and lo and behold the same thing happenned that always happens when portent used to die, other boards get invaded and spammed.
then, the so called "new" portent pops up, promising to be shineyer and better than ever once everything gets seen to, and i pop in for a few minutes only to find that, as expected, the whole place begins to fill up with spamming attention whores hell bent on getting their 4 figure post counts back.
within 5 minutes of me dropping by, one/two forums were closed and ditched due to them being spammed out of exsistance, but yet should this site go down, all the ****** will spill out on to the net whining that "its that admins fault for not getting t3h l337 serv3r!1!!!1!!" etc etc etc.
no, its not any of the admin staffs fault, its those people who are, for want of a word, dossers, who seem to think that they can come in and carry on as normal, lording it over others with their huge post counts to keep them safe should anyone report them for spamming etc.
also, on dropping in to the 40k discussion forum, i finds that over half the topics on the first page are either locked or moved, again, due to spam-******....and it will only be a matter of time before we start seeing pictures of peoples backsides and verucuas again, mmm, fascinating, but i have this niggling thing that tells me that huimor along those lines belongs back in kindergarten, and not on what is supposed to be a grown up discussion about wargaming as a hobby.
I personally wish the staff of the new portent the best of luck in their new endevours, managing a website isnt easy, and if the returning users are anything to go by, its gonna be even harder than it was before.

TWB
21-03-2005, 01:52
And Mods:

Tighten up on spamming
Move spammed threads to the wastes or lock them

In case you hadn't noticed. we ar rather busy trying to create a site here and rely on you chaps to use the report function SO . . .

If you see spam (or any other 'bad' posts) PM us or report it

It doesn't matter how many mods there are or how many there are online, we're a little preoccupied with other things at the moment so give us a hand ;).

Pikachu, one more outburst like that and you'll be the first to recieve a temp ban, be nice or be elsewhere.

Fusion
21-03-2005, 09:10
While you made a valid point about the closure of the site. You still came across as a 12 year old boy who has not discovered the use of the 'Shift' key yet. And buy using swearing and calling everyone ****** sticks your not making a good name for yourself.

Ok, boys. Stop being so reactionary etc and just calm down. Ass Goblin, some people don't use English as their primary language, this is an international forum, so we have to make some concessions. Secondly, I think we need to take a good hard look at the general behavior of posters once this temp forum came online. We saw spam, a bit more spam and just a little more spam.

Seriously guys, go to LoNAF or some other small forum to spam, Portent can't handle the crap some people post. Word Association for example. Sure, it might be 'tradition', but when it comes down to it, it uses up bandwidth, and hence puts strain on Portent.

'Let's all take Portent for granted and spam again! Woohoo teh Wastez post count lol1!!1!'

Ahem, I'm sure you get my general angle of this post - Post responsibly, and don't be a fool.

That is all.
:)

Samoth
21-03-2005, 09:18
Imo, there's a big difference between the spam in the wastes and the spam in 40k general.

The difference is that spam is entertaining and witty, whereas the spam in 40k general is stupid and neurotic.

"Y r teh sp4c3 m4r1n35 so uber?!/2?!?@??"

Fusion
21-03-2005, 09:25
No, I'd have to agree. As the saying goes...

You know what they about spam - all spam is spam

Seriously, it's an unfortunate culture Portent has, making the Wastes guilder only should help this problem, maybe.

Samoth
21-03-2005, 09:37
You mean I disagree?

Well, fair enough, to each his own, but I agree wastes should be guilder only.

Wolflord Bloodangel
21-03-2005, 10:25
The idea of trimming a lot of forums until we have a real server is a nice one. However, if we trim too much (and Im looking at RM) we run the risk of destroying the sense of community, so that when a grand-spanking, spiffo server does come along theres no one left who actually wants to use it...

Fusion
21-03-2005, 13:34
Eh? Samoth- yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what I meant. It's early early morning here and I've just had a few energy drinks. I have essays coming out the proverbial and quite frankly, I'm not with it! :p

Anyway, I'm not convinced that Portent wouldn't be the same if we culled the Wastes, or at least reinstated its status as a guilder only feature. You'll notice that a lot of the Wastes' inhabitants jumped ship to LoNAF when Pete and Nick closed it last time. Why can't they just go to LoNAF and we provide a link there?

Would it really be that bad, now really?

arxhon
21-03-2005, 15:40
Primarily because Lonaf is much more cliquey than portent, and, frankly, it doesn't have the same quality of people.

Hywel
21-03-2005, 18:26
The Wastes is something of a pressure valve for some portent posters - certainly the mods. Without the Wastes, Sylass and TWB will go mad and probably do something untoward.

Not to mention the fact it may inspire more guilderships and keep Portent alive.