PDA

View Full Version : Seven Secret Sigils of Summoning

EDMM
27-07-2011, 16:44
I know there is already a general tactics thread for Storm of Magic, but I thought it would be a good idea to have a specific thread to see what sort of units would be best to summon with Seven Secret Sigils.

I think there are a few general units that are good for any army, but there are also units that are best summoned for particular armies. I think it would also be best to organize the recommendations at each power level.

For example:

Presence
Level 1 (Night) Goblin Shaman - generally amazing due to Nikkit Nikkit;
Empire Mortar - generally good for causing mayhem; and
Warpfire Thrower - generally good for causing mayhem.

Equilibrium
Level 2 Nurgle Sorcerer - great for armies with low Strength attack due to Rot Bomb;
Level 2 Slaanesh Sorcerer with Third Eye of Tzeentch - amazing for any army due to incredible Slaanesh Cataclysmic spells, and the ability to steal the enemy's spells; and
Dwarf Cannon with Rune of Burning - great for killing Regenerating monsters.

Dominance
Level 4 Chaos Sorcerers - as above;
6 Chaos Knights of Khorne with champion and musician - put them on a flank;
4 Rat Ogres with Skweel Gnawtooth - devastating;
Slann with Becalming Cogitation or Focused Rumination - so many uses;
Grey Seer - Dreaded 13th; and
A dozen Chosen with full command, mark of Tzeentch and Halberds - why not?

There are some really great combinations you can access with this spell.

My Tomb Kings will be going after the Nurgle Sorcerers from the start. Poisoned/flaming bowfire raining down from the Floating Fortress should be pretty decent against most enemies after they suffer their permanent -3 armour save modifier from Rot Bomb.

Vsurma
27-07-2011, 17:45
Someone want to explain the basic gist of how this works, don't have the book on me and I don't seem to have read this page of the book.

kickboxerdog
27-07-2011, 17:56
it a spell that allows you to summon any character or unit from any army to fight for you , the points cost for the unit depends on how many fulcrums you and your opponents has so presence 75pts own 1 fulcrum
Equilibrium 150pts own same amount fulcrums as enemy
domination 300pts own more fulrcums than enemy

its cast on a 25+ and if im right you have to be on a fulcrum to cast the spell

also its a spell every wizard know if there on a fulcrum despite what lvl they are

Ramius4
27-07-2011, 17:57
To be honest, some of the best units to summon are Warrior Priests/Arch Lectors and Runesmiths/Runelords if you want to get an edge in the magic phase.

Summoning more wizards is presumably not a great idea unless you absolutely need another with a specific lore/spell or are behind. If you've already got 3 or 4 on the field, you already can't cast half the spells you have access to. There just aren't enough dice to spread around.

its cast on a 25+ and if im right you have to be on a fulcrum to cast the spell

No you don't.

also its a spell every wizard know if there on a fulcrum despite what lvl they are

You know it whether you are on a fulcrum or not.

zlydon
27-07-2011, 17:59
At dominance i'd be very tempted by 50 Chaos Marauders, Great Weapons, Full command, mark of Khorne (300 on the nose).

EDMM
27-07-2011, 18:47
Summoning more wizards is presumably not a great idea unless you absolutely need another with a specific lore/spell or are behind. If you've already got 3 or 4 on the field, you already can't cast half the spells you have access to. There just aren't enough dice to spread around.

It's not about the dice. It's about Ascendancy.

Most armies (aside from High Elves and Empire) can only easily get access to 1 or 2 spots on the spinner. Summon some Wizards with complementary Lores, and you can build big blocks of lores around the spinner where you will benefit from having the Ascendant lore. It's a double bonus, because:
a.) it gives you more chances to land on a lore you have on the initial spin; and
b.) it gives you a better chance to end up on a lore you have when you adjust the spin.

If you have 3 lores in a row, then you can be guaranteed to have ascendancy if the spinner falls on 5/8 of the lores.

Also, many of the Cataclysmic spells can provide great synergies to certain armies, that wouldn't otherwise be available.

Drop an enemy Wizard's Ld to 2, and revoke their General and BSB with Slaanesh's Presence spell, then hit them with the Casket of Souls.

Lower an enemy unit's T with any of the Nurgle/Skaven spells, then hit them with attacks that target every model in the unit.

Steal the enemy's best item (Mythic Artifact) with Nikkit Nikkit and then use Vauls Unmaking on another.

I think Wizards are the best thing to summon.

Vsurma
27-07-2011, 19:09
I would be tempted with the 6 Chaos knights with mark of khorne, musician and standard.
18 S5 magic weapons and 6 S4 horse attacks on your flank daim! I like it, I like it a lot.

I think if your ever losing a game too badly and you have enough dice to do it you could summon a slann then cast the equaliser :)
From a loss to a tie and a climatic ending to a game indeed.

What is the rule on where you can place the new unit?

As for casting more mages I agree, for the most part casting a 25 to cast spell pretty much eats up 1 magic phase, lets assume for the moment that it is not dispelled. This means you just spent 6 dice to cast this spell and your opponent still has his dispel dice. So likely has more dispel dice than you have power dice at this point. So it really is a whole turns magic to get said mage. You really need to get a lot out of this new caster to pay for its cost!

Von Wibble
27-07-2011, 19:41
If you are going to summon a unit, even at 300 points, it needs to be good enough to account for the fact you could have just cast a different 25+ spell. Lets face it, most spells at that level are potential game winners - Monstrous regiment, Purple Sun and Dance of Despair to name just 3. OK, 2 of these are dominance, but you only get 150 points at equilibrium or lower.

Therefore, you need the summoned unit to provide you with something that can't be otherwise obtained.

Wizards provide access to different lores, better chance of ascendancy, and an extra model to take fulcrums with. Summoning a wizard onto an unoccupiewd fulcrum in the latter stages of the game cuold be game-winning.

In any other case I find it hard to think of a role for the spell that can't be duplicated with another, probably cheaper alternative.

sulla
27-07-2011, 20:36
Wizards or cannons. I love little goblin mage-thieves, but cannons for mage or monster sniping would be right up there. Mostly I wouldn't cast this spell in favour of my army's normal spells though. At the casting price, it's a bit too many dice to use other than in desperation IMO.

Ramius4
27-07-2011, 21:04
If you are going to summon a unit, even at 300 points, it needs to be good enough to account for the fact you could have just cast a different 25+ spell. Lets face it, most spells at that level are potential game winners - Monstrous regiment, Purple Sun and Dance of Despair to name just 3. OK, 2 of these are dominance, but you only get 150 points at equilibrium or lower.

I agree, that was my point exactly. And you need to get a 25+ without any bonus from ascendancy. A 50/50 proposition for a dubious gain.

Therefore, you need the summoned unit to provide you with something that can't be otherwise obtained.

Again we agree. It's a case of "do I really need to cast a 25+ spell just to get a cannon shot here, or another wizard over there? Or can those dice be better spent to cast one or two other spells that will have an immediate effect?"

In any other case I find it hard to think of a role for the spell that can't be duplicated with another, probably cheaper alternative.

Or duplicated by any of the plethora of spells you already have at your fingertips. Hell, even a level 1 wizard starts a SoM game with a 6 to 8 spells available for casting. Most people are going to start the game with 3 to 4 wizards... I've played a couple games already. There are NOT nearly enough dice even with 4D6 to go around.

That's why I still maintain that runesmiths/runelords and warrior priests are generally the most effective summoning choices. They provide dispel dice, and in the case of runesmiths they give access to ancestor runes. It's a win-win, but even then it's situational.

Seven Sigils is a spell that I'll be casting when I'm already ahead in the game and beating my opponent. Certainly not when I'm fighting from behind. There's just better things to do with 6 casting dice.

Sexiest_hero
27-07-2011, 21:33
I'd try to summon units that summon other units. Nurgle chaos sorcerer, to try and get the Daemon prince spell off. And a Vampire to get off doom keep, summon undead horde, or wind of undeath.

Ramius4
27-07-2011, 21:56
I'd try to summon units that summon other units. Nurgle chaos sorcerer, to try and get the Daemon prince spell off. And a Vampire to get off doom keep, summon undead horde, or wind of undeath.

You can't summon Vampires.

Sexiest_hero
27-07-2011, 21:59
You are right, You can buy them with your MM allowance. Sadly enough Vampires are my main army....

Ramius4
27-07-2011, 22:02
You are right, You can buy them with your MM allowance. Sadly enough Vampires are my main army....

Well I know it doesn't mean anything, but if you and I were playing a game, I'd certainly allow you to summon vampires and undead units regardless of what the SoM rulebook says...

Spiney Norman
28-07-2011, 09:57
It entirely depends on which army you're playing and which units you have available.

I am using my O&G army for SoM and have other O&G units, Empire and Lizardmen units available to summon, heres my "7 Sigils list"

Presence
L1 Empire Battle Wizard (any lore)
1 Salamander Hunting Pack
6 Chameleon Skinks
Empire Mortar

Equilibrium
L3 Goblin Great Shaman (little waaagh!)
Empire Arch Lector
3 River Trolls
Empire Great Cannon
2 Salamander Hunting Packs

Dominance
Slann Mage Priest with Rumination (Any lore)
4 Kroxigor
Empire Steam Tank

drear
28-07-2011, 10:11
dominance:

100 nightgoblins - no real use, but fun to suddently have that much space taken up by a big unit.

equilibrium -

high elf mage lvl2 possibly on a horse?

if i summon anything its going to be a steamtank, warshrine , cannon or cheap wizards.

Vsurma
28-07-2011, 11:36
Lets be real here people, is anyone actually going to be casting this spell at any time other than if you have dominance?!!?

Deathbysoup
28-07-2011, 11:44
I generally resummon my mortars or cannons, they usually die pretty quickly in Storm!

ewar
28-07-2011, 13:03
Someone want to explain the basic gist of how this works, don't have the book on me and I don't seem to have read this page of the book.

Riiight. Left it on the shelf. In the shop. With the wrapping on. Only kidding :), I know it's annoying when people talk about items/spells/abilities without specifying what they actually do...

Lets be real here people, is anyone actually going to be casting this spell at any time other than if you have dominance?!!?

It would be useful for Equilibrium as well - though I agree, the inflexible casting value is a bit odd. I think people are looking at this wrong though - yes, it opens up all sorts of possibilities for coming up with the beardiest combination available - but generally it should just be a laugh.

I know my LM are not going to be summoning any daemons or such, purely for fluff reasons, but killing my opponents DE Hydra and then bringing it back to use against him? Hell yeah. Suck on that beatch.

Or just bringing in characters from my other armies. Brave Sir Robin, my Bretonnian monster hunter on royal pegasus with a habit of running away, will definitely be summoned at some point. It'll be his personal hell - a table full of monsters, all of which he will fluff his HKB on before being eaten in return. Or he'll fail a terror test and peg it, which is what usually happens.

p.s. apologies for the python reference, it's brutally cliched, but that model really does run away from every monster he tries to fight. Which is annoying as that's his only real job.

hobbs3023
28-07-2011, 14:10
You cant summon monsters or unique units (nor can u summon units from vampires, daemons, or tomb kings)

Riiight. Left it on the shelf. In the shop. With the wrapping on. Only kidding :), I know it's annoying when people talk about items/spells/abilities without specifying what they actually

It would be useful for Equilibrium as well - though I agree, the inflexible casting value is a bit odd. I think people are looking at this wrong though - yes, it opens up all sorts of possibilities for coming up with the beardiest combination available - but generally it should just be a laugh.

I know my LM are not going to be summoning any daemons or such, purely for fluff reasons, but killing my opponents DE Hydra and then bringing it back to use against him? Hell yeah. Suck on that beatch.

Or just bringing in characters from my other armies. Brave Sir Robin, my Bretonnian monster hunter on royal pegasus with a habit of running away, will definitely be summoned at some point. It'll be his personal hell - a table full of monsters, all of which he will fluff his HKB on before being eaten in return. Or he'll fail a terror test and peg it, which is what usually happens.

p.s. apologies for the python reference, it's brutally cliched, but that model really does run away from every monster he tries to fight. Which is annoying as that's his only real job.

Kadris
28-07-2011, 16:39
mine are

75 points:
High elf mage - summon one who then summons another fulcrum for dominance and gives me another lore to work with
dark elf sorc - destroy fulcrums
salamander hunting pack - move and shoot flamer

150 points:
Better mages if i need more due to deaths, for channeling mainly
Artillery like organ guns, warp lightning cannons, etc

300 points:
15 man khorne warriors full command 2x hand weapon - summon on a flank for next turn charge or just to block a flanking charge
Steam tank - umm... self explanatory?
War hydra
Giant
more monsters

The one unit I wanted most but it simply is too expensive is... Anvil of Doom

EDMM
28-07-2011, 17:12
War hydra
Giant
more monsters

Can't summon monsters.

sninsch
28-07-2011, 17:34
mine are

75 points:
High elf mage - summon one who then summons another fulcrum for dominance and gives me another lore to work with
dark elf sorc - destroy fulcrums
salamander hunting pack - move and shoot flamer

high elf and dark elf mages cost more than 75 points

decker_cky
28-07-2011, 18:36
Can you summon dwarf war machines with runes on them? They aren't magic items, so I think they're allowed. If so, dropping a dwarf cannon with the rune of forging and some other runes (fortune seems good if flaming attacks aren't needed). Should be able to drop the cannon to line up multiple monsters/units/fulcrims with your shot.

some_scrub
28-07-2011, 18:41
Can you summon dwarf war machines with runes on them? They aren't magic items, so I think they're allowed. If so, dropping a dwarf cannon with the rune of forging and some other runes (fortune seems good if flaming attacks aren't needed). Should be able to drop the cannon to line up multiple monsters/units/fulcrims with your shot.

This is probably one of the better options, but remember that the spell only has a range of 12" and the cannon counts as having moved the turn it is summoned, so cannot fire. That makes it a little more difficult to line up a killer shot.

sulla
28-07-2011, 21:01

At the casting cost, there are probably far better spells to cast when you have dominance. I see it as more of a desperation spell; when you are only equalibrium or presence and perilously close to losing the game. Generally you're better off with standard spells, cataclysms and duels.

And if a player can get access to light magic, he should always take one because even the default spell will probably kill whatever was summoned anyway.

decker_cky
28-07-2011, 23:08
I've found lots of times where I can get through my key spells and have 6 dice left to take a swing at something big. At 150 pts, there's some great choices that do more than other spells would do.

Biff Gunhed
16-08-2011, 13:22
Steam Tanks can't be summoned because they are Unique.

I like the idea of summoning an extra Wizard or two to help with fulcrum control. You can also tailor the lore they take to suit your opponent, such as Light against Vampires or Metal against Dwarfs.

It can get hard to keep track of all the spells at your disposal though :)

Rapahatsutt
16-08-2011, 23:17
Steam Tanks are Chariots according to the latest FAQ

madden
16-08-2011, 23:56
I've used it a couple of times mainly for summoning wizards it's good near last turn all equal both having a few units left summon a wizard then either teleport onto an empty fulcrum or magic duel an opponents wizard off of one it can be a game winner. the thing is keeping a power dice or two spare for the follow up and don't forget to big up how much your new wizard can do, so even if it's stopped you've burned his dispels so free to cast a standard spell so it can be useful.