PDA

View Full Version : SOM - Quantity or Quality?

Kyte
27-07-2011, 20:37
I'm playing in a SoM Tournament using ogres, and I have have had mixed success (one win, one loss and one draw so far.)

So I've been trying Yhetees and a Fimir as allies for my Ogres in SOM. Although, the yhetees, although greatly improved, are still sub-par to many other ogre MI.

I was thinking of changing the Yhetees for something that can fly to reliably taking down mages on fulcrums.

The game is played at 2000 points, so I have 500 points to choose from.

As I play Ogres, and would like my Slaughtermaster to stay with my Death star, the Fimir is a stayer. Simply because I need something to hold my second fulcrum. So far I've been running him Lvl 3 with Shadows, but was thinking of changing this to Lvl 2 with Fire.

Simply because I find that most shadow spells are not really needed when you have augmented ogres.

The fiery damage potential is really better to draw the opponent's power dice so you can cast Gut Magic and cause mayhem with your Ogres.

For the rest of the allowance, I was thinking a Wyvern with either KB or Breath Weapon and a Naked Hippogryff.

That gives me two decent flying monsters and a Caster, where most of the other players use either one or two really expensive monsters.

I have always found more models vastly superior to expensive upgrades in general, so this seems very logical.

Do you guys think this is sound, or could you come up with a better setup?

Just for your notice, my ogre list has:

8-Irongut Death-star with tyrant, BSB and SM

Butcher on Fulcrum

6 Bulls

30 gnoblars and 9 trappers or 60 gnoblars depending on opponent

Scraplauncher

Slavegiant

FIY: I Will not change my Ogre List, as I have had immense success using it without SoM.

Please help and thanks in advance

- Kyte

Sexiest_hero
27-07-2011, 22:01
Take what you think is fun.

Ramius4
27-07-2011, 23:21
Take what you think is fun.

Best. Possible. Answer. :D

Lord Inquisitor
27-07-2011, 23:29
I've been running ogres in SoM and you might find that what is effective in normal games doesn't work so well in storm of magic. Certainly I'd put another IG into your deathstar, why not 9 for three additional ranks?

Anyway, I find that in SoM since the fulcrums are objectives, you need at least 4 wizards or you can't actually take (or threaten) all the objectives otherwise.

The Fimir is great for Ogres. You might consider another bound-monster-wizard. I've been liking the Truthsayer or Zoat as a possible choice.

As for your monsters - can they kill wizards off fulcrums? If not, scrap them.

EDMM
29-07-2011, 07:36
Anyway, I find that in SoM since the fulcrums are objectives, you need at least 4 wizards or you can't actually take (or threaten) all the objectives otherwise.

If you kill the enemy Wizards and army quick enough, you don't need any at all.

You can threaten the enemy objectives with anything that can kill a Wizard. You certainly don't need to take all the objectives to win. In fact I would say that that strategy is a fool's errand. Threaten the enemy where you have strength and don't get caught with your force spread over the map willy-nilly.

drear
29-07-2011, 08:10
by the same token, if you only take 2 wizards, your opponent will notice this and just focus on killing them very early.

4 wizards vs your 2 will mean you are dueled off a fulcrum rather quickly.

i think your wizard selection currently is fine, you have 2 ogres wizards and a fimir.

the other aspects of the list might need some tweaking. the giant whilst fun isnt a great unit, especially as he isnt stubborn.
you could swap him our for another scraplauncher, to think down your opponenet, or even charge a fulcrum later on in the game.

Lord Inquisitor
29-07-2011, 08:51
If you kill the enemy Wizards and army quick enough, you don't need any at all.

You can threaten the enemy objectives with anything that can kill a Wizard. You certainly don't need to take all the objectives to win. In fact I would say that that strategy is a fool's errand. Threaten the enemy where you have strength and don't get caught with your force spread over the map willy-nilly.

Wonderful, if you actually have stuff that can kill wizards off fulcrums. I don't see much in the list there that can. The Slavegiant might, but very inconsistently. I find a tyrant with OTS and Tenderiser might do the trick, although I've been running with the Dawnstar Sword and OTS recently as that really hurts. But I find in SoM killing enemy wizards is half the job. Without your own wizards to occupy taken fulcrums that advantage can disappear quickly if the opponent brings surplus wizards. I have found one caster per fulcrum on the board an effective minimum in SoM.

I've also been running a Tyrant with Wizard's Hat. Gives you that extra caster in a nice killy package. Plus Ld9 for duels ain't bad.

dante76
29-07-2011, 10:38
I've been playing with a griffin with ASF and a basic fire dragon. Munched their way through 3 wizards.