PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings: Khatep the silly magician.

jdunn
28-07-2011, 05:02
Ahoy there, other TK players of Warseer. I've created this thread to discuss the plausibility of Khatep in a list. Ihmo, I don't see him being worth the points, and i'd rather just take a basic HLP at lv4.

But I desperately want to be wrong. Any other opinions?

Spiney Norman
28-07-2011, 09:04
I actually quite like Khatep, he's 120pts more than a L4 LHP, now assuming that the lore master rule is worth 50pts (based on Slann rules) and he has a scroll that works like a dispel scroll about 50% of the time against an average non-WoC wizard (T3) lets say its worth 15pts, then he has the ability to reroll his casting dice for any spell once per turn would be worth approx 55pts.

For me thats the best advantage of Khatep, and well worth the difference, it allows him to avoid miscasts AND breaks in concentration caused by bad rolls, its actually the only way to get solid miscast avoidance on your hiero (the earthing rod is not miscast avoidance, its just damage limitation).

The only major downside of Khatep is that you can't get him any meaningful protection in the form of a ward save.

For me the liche staff and the loremaster rule make Khatep a really good deal, and if I wasn't ideologically opposed to using SCs then I would certainly include him in my lists.

friendsofrhomb
28-07-2011, 11:59
I personally havent used him, but on paper he seems quite powerful, I like the idea of being able to have the chance to avoid a miscast, or re roll another 6 dice for IF in the situation i NEED to get a spell off

Von Wibble
28-07-2011, 12:15
I actually quite like Khatep, he's 120pts more than a L4 LHP, now assuming that the lore master rule is worth 50pts (based on Slann rules) and he has a scroll that works like a dispel scroll about 50% of the time against an average non-WoC wizard (T3) lets say its worth 15pts, then he has the ability to reroll his casting dice for any spell once per turn would be worth approx 55pts.

For me thats the best advantage of Khatep, and well worth the difference, it allows him to avoid miscasts AND breaks in concentration caused by bad rolls, its actually the only way to get solid miscast avoidance on your hiero (the earthing rod is not miscast avoidance, its just damage limitation).

The only major downside of Khatep is that you can't get him any meaningful protection in the form of a ward save.

For me the liche staff and the loremaster rule make Khatep a really good deal, and if I wasn't ideologically opposed to using SCs then I would certainly include him in my lists.

Completely agree with this. I'd say he's good value for the points, but then you lose out with lack of flexibility (no ward is not great). Having effetively 3 aracne items is powerful.

A basic LHP

gdsora
28-07-2011, 14:57
Do not under-estimate that re-roll.

Once a turn, you can either
re-roll a miscast from happening, or re-roll a failed casting roll

That is a huge benefit, almost every game Ive used him i rerolled like 4/5 out of the 6 turns.

Also
Loremaster?
My biggest fear for a normal lvl4 is to miss out on the buffs (i like the buffs much more then the hexes)

With Khatep I know i can have those buffs

EDMM
28-07-2011, 15:04
The scroll does not work like a dispel scroll.

It does nothing at all to the spell that is being cast. If it works, it simply stops that Wizard from casting anything further this phase.

Rather a good scroll, but kind of limited in its application.

That said, Khatep is brilliant. The Staff is worth the 120 points alone. Being able to re-roll lets Khatep use one less dice per casting attempt compared to a level 4 without a re-roll. This item really lets you stretch out his casting bonuses and, on average, an army with Khatep will get ~2 extra spells off per phase if you use the little versions, and 1 extra spell per phase if they are boosted.

That's huge.

meowser
28-07-2011, 18:10
You LHP shouldn't need an expensive ward save. If he's getting into CC or you're letting death magic snipes off on him (very rare in my meta), you're doing it wrong!

Usually a ward only serve to mitigate the effects of miscasts, which Khatep's special ability does in a better way.

I always run Khatep + Ramhotep (and the only constructs I use are 1 or 2 units 4-8 of un-entombed knights) in every army, and L2 LP w/ light and/or king w/ terror mask in larger games.

Ramhotep (+ King) go in halberd TG, and provides the AS re-roll to knights. Khatep sits in an archer bunker and rarely sees harm's way.

Wesser
28-07-2011, 18:17
All the TK special characters are desperately boring.

An SC should for instance allow different army composition or boost an aspect the army aint good at.

Louen Leoncouer (while very bad for his cost) allows more grail knights and has special rules in case of his death.

The Fay allows brets access to one of the most powerful casters in the game and as such to actually have a decent magic phase.

Khalida is the only one that actually does anything that aint just a buffed version of the army list equivalent, and as such is the only one with any character at all.

Taking Khatep is just to get Loremaster if im not mistaken. Leave him at home and make HLP of your own. That'll be way cooler anyway

w3rm
28-07-2011, 19:11

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Who cares about ward saves for wizard?

If anything gets in combat with your bunker he's dead due to combat resolution. If he gets sniped he's t3 3 wounds, a 4+ ward save will barely make him last longer.

There is only 2 really nasty miscasts. The one that is Str 10 large blast, lose wizzy on 1-2 and the -d3 wizard levels. He gets a LOS roll from all miscasts except for the str 6 hit on all wizards. The wardsave wont save him from getting sucked into the warp and it wont stop the -d3 levels.

I dont care if my wizard takes 2 wounds because it doesnt lower his effectivness at all. I only really care abbout the -d3 wizarding levels.

So to recap: I don't waste 45 points on an item that wont protect my wizard from the things that I wan't him to be protected from. The healing potion + staff of re roll miscast table is much better deal. even if it costs 5 more points.

Khatep is great. Re roll the dice and loremaster? That's amazing!

Dreadgrass
29-07-2011, 02:41
I think one of the best things about Khatep is that he actually stays true to his role with all his items. I always roll my eyes a little when I see an obviously casty character with a magic weapon or item that in no way helps them do what they're there for.

Khatep's only 50pts more expensive than the fairly standard Talisman of Preservation/ Earthing Rod setup, and for that, your trading some generic protection (which is always fine, but as w3rm points out, can be of limited application) and a bit of damage control, for loremaster, his awesome staff (which I see as essentially a defensive item for anti-miscast/ loss of concentration) and a half-way decent scroll (especially handy for life mages who like to pop down throne, shadow wizards trying to drop your stats + Pit, or anyone else who has an awesome 2 spell combo) I think he's well worth the investment.

Then again, I'm also a fan of Blood of Tzeentch when I run WoC, and Khateps staff is an uber version of that so I may be a little biased!

w3rm
29-07-2011, 16:33
I'll try running him in the next game I play and we'll see whether he's worth it!