PDA

View Full Version : Revenge of the Wood Elves!

w3rm
28-07-2011, 05:17
I challenged my cousin to a rematch after her less than stellar preformance in our last game which can be found here http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311699. The game was watch tower and the points were 1500.

My list

Daemon Prince w/ Lvl 1 Fire (fireball), Unnatural Swiftness

Herald of Slaanesh w/ Lvl 1 (Caughanic Caress), Steed
Herald of Khorne w/ Armour of Khorne, BSB, SoUV

27 Bloodletters w/ Full Command
10 Horrors
5 Furies

5 Seekers w/ Standard

3 Flamers

Her list was

Spell Weaver w/ Level 4 (Awekening, Flesh to Stone, Regrowth, Sheild of Thorns) Dragon Tooth Arrows, Steed, Wand of the Wych Elm

Alter Noble w/ Hail of Doom, Helm of the Hunt
Alter Noble w/ Flaming two hand weapons

15 Glade Guard w/ Standard, Musician, Banner of Spring Tide
7 Glade Riders w/ Standard
12 Dryads

10 Eternal Guard

9 Way Watchers

So we got watch tower and she won it and put her dryads in there.

Her deployment my left to my right

HoD Noble,Glade Guard, Eternal Gaurd Glade Riders, Spellweaver, Noble

Way Watchers

Flamers, Daemon Prince, Letters, Horrors, Seekers, Furies

Early Game

First turn i get and IF fireball off on the glade gaurd killing 11. I moved up with pretty much everything else. Flamers kill a way watcher.

She moves up with her riders and advances with everything else. Shooting drops a few blood letters. She puts a flesh to stone off on the Dryads and then regrows a few glade guard.

The bloodletters charge the tower, the furies charge the XHW nobles and the seekers charge the riders. The flamers and daemon prince kill a few way watchers and the herald of slaanesh kills 1 or 2 with a caress. The letters kill some stupidly low amount of dryads (like 3 or 4 because of that stupid flesh to stone.) and they lose 4 or 5 and get pushed out. The seeker (only one left because of 2 rounds of glade rider shooting) and herald kill the horsies to a man and reform to face the spellweaver. The furies and noble both wiff thier attacks and she passes her break test.

She flanks my Bloodletters with her 10 eternal gaurd which is rather annoying but I'm not too worried. Well I wasn't until she dropped a flesh to stone on them and regrew and few ( I think 2 or 3?) dryads from the building. The waywatchers JFK 2 flamers and the HoD noble nocks his HOD and aims at the daemon prince. 5 wounds later and he's a pincushion. My herald kind whiffs his attacks( 1 wound) and the guard go berszerk killing 4. I kill 1 more but win combat due to my +3 or 4 thanks to banners alone. I reform to face them. The furies and noble both whiff again.

Mid Game

I move my horrors up some more. The flamer stays where he is and shoots some way watchers. The seeker + herald move towards whats left of the glade guard. I get an IF flickering fire off on the dryads and kill enough to bring them back down to 4. Maybe I can still salvage this! In combat i kill 2 more guard and she killed maybe 3? Well it was enough to break them. They fled and I elceted not to persue to I could reform to face the tower. The Noble finally manages to kill off the furies.

She rallies the eternal guard and moves everything else up. Again another flesh to stone goes off on the dryads and a regrowth to bring them back up to 6. Shooting rips my bloodletters apart and theyre only down to about 7 or 8 models left including my herald.

End Game

I charge the tower again with my bloodletters as a final act of desparation. Caress is dispelled but I slam the glade gaurd with a flickering fire and kill all but 1! The flamer slays a few guard. The Herald kills one and then the dryads kill all but the standard bearer and the champion. I needed to kill 3 more dryads to bring the combat into my favor. And I kill.... 2.... We draw and I get pushed out of the tower.

For the rest of the game i flamer the eternal gaurd once down to 1 model. She shoots everything at the 3 letters and kills them all and 1 wound on the herald. For the hell of it I charge the dryads and they kill him. After that I just give up.

What I had left- 1 flamer w/ 1 wound, Herald of Slaanesh, 7 Horrors

What she had left- 6 Dryads, 2 waywatchers, 1 glade guard, 2 nobles, 1 spell weaver

Result- Loss the Daemons...

Wow she did much better then in the first game! She knew exactly what to shoot and when to use what spells. Not having a level 4 wizard really hurts.... She dominated all phases of the game and played very well. I am proud of her! It was a really great game.

Noght
28-07-2011, 12:07
Nice Report. Thanks for doing it.
Just think how awesome she'd be if she dropped the Glade Riders, Eternal Guard, one Alter Noble and Waywatchers and bought more Glade Guard and a BSB or beef up the Dryads to 18 or so.
Glade Riders may be the worst unit in 8th: 21 points, T3, 6+ AS = no thanks.
Waywatchers are nice but 24 points x 5 and giving up the +1 to go first (until that's errata'd) would have been better spent on 10 more Dryads.

Noght

Malorian
28-07-2011, 14:55
Glade Riders may be the worst unit in 8th: 21 points, T3, 6+ AS = no thanks.

:rolleyes:

A wood elve army made up of nothing but glade riders is a dangerous thing.

It doesn't matter what their toughness and armor is if you can't catch them, and the army can generally wipe out all your shooting troops in the first round AND their lvl 4 with rerolling dispel dice can shut down your magic missiles.

If it wasn't for the watch tower this list would be seen a lot more.

w3rm
28-07-2011, 16:23
It seems to me that wood elves are probably best at this scenario out of all the scenarios. Who cares about ranks in buidlings its all about the kills baby!

SevenSins
28-07-2011, 19:39
well demon prince once again proved it's a fluff over function choice.

Oh well better luck next time

Jazzmo
28-07-2011, 19:41
Nice battle dude
I started to collect a wood elf army and then changed to lizardmen. But I have been wanting to play as my woodies lately, I mean I only played with them a couple of times.
Waywatchers r awesome, they r kinda expensive but I love em
And that wizard is exactly how I run mine, perfect combo right there
I used it and shut down the enemys magic phase for most of the game, I think he got maybe 2 spells off lol it was great

w3rm
28-07-2011, 21:48
This game just made me hate lore of life even more than normally ^_^

Noght
29-07-2011, 01:55
:rolleyes:

A wood elve army made up of nothing but glade riders is a dangerous thing.

It doesn't matter what their toughness and armor is if you can't catch them, and the army can generally wipe out all your shooting troops in the first round AND their lvl 4 with rerolling dispel dice can shut down your magic missiles.

If it wasn't for the watch tower this list would be seen a lot more.

Sorry, 24 points. A heavy Glade Rider list vs one of your Orc/Goblin Armies at2500points or more would be facing a 6' Green wall of Death, spread end to end. How do you manuever around that? Take a look at your battle report for Traitor Traitor...no room to manuever.

Any of the cheap T3 Horde Armies (Skaven, Empire) can do the same. The expensive T4 armies (WoC, Dwarves, Lizardmen) are kind of safe from the S3 Glade Rider bows.

I love the idea of the Glade Riders, and have used them a bit for fun but they are just too brittle at T3 and not killy enough at S3, 24 points is too much for what they bring.

Noght

Malorian
29-07-2011, 02:03
Sorry, 24 points. A heavy Glade Rider list vs one of your Orc/Goblin Armies at2500points or more would be facing a 6' Green wall of Death, spread end to end. How do you manuever around that?

Any of the cheap T3 Horde Armies (Skaven, Empire) can do the same. The expensive T4 armies (WoC, Dwarves, Lizardmen) are kind of safe from the S3 Glade Rider bows.

I love the idea of the Glade Riders, and have used them a bit for fun but they are just too brittle at T3 and not killy enough at S3, 24 points is too much for what they bring.

Noght

You make a good point, an army that goes from board edge to board edge is a natural counter, both in not allowing units to pass and in making it difficult to score any points.

It still can be done however. Either by mass fire on the weakest link to make a gap, or by creating one through baits.

It's also not an issue of how tough the enemy units are, all the WE have to do is destroy one unit of worth 100+ points and avoid combat for the win. It's actually the horde that is more dangerous.

When 8th first came out this was immediately how I wanted to upgrade my own wood elves, but that project has been passed on and on for others that are less of a gimic and more well rounded. Not to mention that buying that many boxes of glade guard is seriously expensive and I would probably cry for weeks if they were made special in the next WE book ;)

Noght
29-07-2011, 03:13
It's also not an issue of how tough the enemy units are, all the WE have to do is destroy one unit of worth 100+ points and avoid combat for the win. It's actually the horde that is more dangerous.

Talk about living on a knife's edge. That's cutting it fine. One War Machine hit and you're toast.

Noght

Malorian
29-07-2011, 04:37
That's how I roll baby ;)

back to the report, when is the third game planned w3rm?

w3rm
29-07-2011, 16:09
Probably today, you gotta do the best two out of three right?!? :)

If I have time though, we might be playing dnd tonight!

Lukasz_VT
31-07-2011, 23:25
Nice report w3rm! I don't collect them, but i love to see WE winning :D go underdogs!

w3rm
01-08-2011, 02:54
I was glad too, believe me. Haters can go to heck!