PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Iron Warriors

agurus1
28-07-2011, 06:37
I was looking at the Codex for Chaos Space Marines and I'm trying to find some inspiration for an army, and wondering how you all would go about building one?

MarshalFaust
28-07-2011, 07:01
lots of boltgun metal :)
heres some photos of my army. Iron Within. Iron Without.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/DavHod42/IMG_3390.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/DavHod42/IMG_3369.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/DavHod42/IMG_3373.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/DavHod42/IMG_3387.jpg

zantis
28-07-2011, 07:07
if you're looking for list building tips, here's one that will save you a lot of frustration. Dont bother with the chaos dex. use the vanilla marines. run vulkan and a master of the forge, along with a bunch of dreds. fluffier than the chaos book allows for and better too :)

Inquisitor Engel
28-07-2011, 07:14
You know, you might give a look to Imperial Armour Volume 9. The Tyrant's Legion list combined Space Marines and Imperial Guard, allowing you to field some siege units and Iron Warrior 'slaves.'

MarshalFaust
28-07-2011, 07:23
The current codex cant compete in the national tournament scene for sure. but if you mostly play local tourneys and friendly games its not too bad. a little overcosted on a lot of units but nothing that cant be overcome.

ive collected many armies and sold many of them but my Iron Warriors are my baby. they are the army that I always come back to and I dont think I would ever get tired of them no matter what the codex is.

As of right now I would focus on putting together CSM squads in rhinos, some oblits and a daemon prince. those are good strong units and unlikely to change too much and will most certainly be useful in the next codex iteration.

Latro_
28-07-2011, 08:27
Its an oldie but a goodie, checkit:
www.google.com/search?q=iron+warriors&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&biw=1680&bih=935

what i do before i start any army.

Rogerio
28-07-2011, 12:19
My Iron Warriors runs with the CSM dex although i was tempted at times to use the Vanilla SM dex. I have gone for a bit of fluff in my list and used as many tanks and heavy units as possible.

Chaos lord with MOK and twin claws

10 marines 2 spec weapons, PF champ in rhino

2 x 8 Zerks in rhinos with PFs

3 termies, heavy flamer, combi weapons.

Chaos dread with TL AC and DCCW.

Predator, AC and lc sponsons.

2 Possesed Vindis or havoc squad or 2 oblits.

So i try and use as many vehicles as possible and it works, the dread is amazing and takes so much firepower to knock him out, he goes on rampages regularly and smashes people up.

Honestly the CSM dex is fine, people get annoyed about it but i dont see why.

Born Again
28-07-2011, 13:02
Well I don't know exactly what you want, but if I were doing an Iron Warriors army?

* Obvious place to start is with the Warsmith model! Would probably use this as a Chaos Lord with twin lightning claws, as shown by his bionic arm and servo arm.

* While they've sadly taken the Iron Warriors squad off the store, you can still pick up the bitz pack, by spreading out the heads and chest plates you can fill out a whole squad of ten, with a lascannon and meltagun: good siege weapons. A couple of squads in these, in Rhinos.

* Think about some Berzerkers, which can be painted in Iron Warriors scheme or allies in their World Eaters colours if you wish. Either way, great troops for storming the breech!

* For Elites, Termies can make a good fluffy choice, but Forgeworld also make a tasty looking IW dread. Hell, I'd probably take both. Stick the Termies in a Land Raider while you're at it.

* Heavy Support is really the Iron Warriors domain, you can pretty much take anything you want here and not go too wrong fluff-wise.

* Something that often gets overlooked is the Fast Attack slot. If I were doing Iron Warriors, I would be converting up something to use as the Unfleshed, as use them as Chaos Spawn.

Vaktathi
28-07-2011, 13:52
I was looking at the Codex for Chaos Space Marines and I'm trying to find some inspiration for an army, and wondering how you all would go about building one?

If using the lackluster C:CSM, basic CSM's in rhino's backed up by deep striking termi squads loaded with combi-weapons and some oblits works rather well and fits the theme, it's how my list runs. In 2k points I've got a winged DP, 4 squads of 10 CSM's in rhino's, 2 squads of 6 terminators, and 3 units of 2 oblits, so it's fairly 2+sv heavy and has lots of dudesmens.

Grimmeth
28-07-2011, 14:12
Aren't Vindicators pretty much mandatory here?

I mean, they're designed as Siege Engines, so I'd definitely be trying to include at least one.
Otherwise I think everyone else has summed it up, Terminators for Elites (maybe Chosen as well), Vanilla CSM for Troops (although there were some Bezerkers in Storm of Iron), Heavy Support can go with pretty much anything.
There was a nice kitbach for an Iron warriors Daemon Prince made from the plastic Daemon Prince and the Dreadknight as well on the GW site a while back - could make for a nice conversion/centrepiece.

Lord Gabranth
28-07-2011, 16:12
Aren't Vindicators pretty much mandatory here?

I mean, they're designed as Siege Engines, so I'd definitely be trying to include at least one.

So are Basilisks, but look at what the 4th ed codex got us.

Luisjoey
28-07-2011, 16:54
I do use the PLAGUE MARINES as IRON WARRIORS CYBERENHANCED marines, high tougness and feel no pain, at cost of a slower marine... very iron warrior.

I make difference with other iron warriors by making this unit more rusty.

DuskRaider
28-07-2011, 17:03
if you're looking for list building tips, here's one that will save you a lot of frustration. Dont bother with the chaos dex. use the vanilla marines. run vulkan and a master of the forge, along with a bunch of dreds. fluffier than the chaos book allows for and better too :)

For god sake, no. Do not use the damned characters from Codex: Space Marines. You want to run IW using the SM Codex, use generic HQs.

Truthfully, I'd either wait for the new codex (which is rumored to be next year), make them for Apocalypse only, or see if your group will let you use the 3.5 Edition Codex (but please do not spam Oblits).

Mannimarco
28-07-2011, 17:52

Abbadons 14 Black Crusade is going to be a good one isnt it? The vanguard will of course be the World Eaters led by Lord Wolfy McWolf, all shall fear them as Khornes sword which cleaves reality (look it up) comes into play and anything with low initiative is sucked down the abyss. The enemy will learn to fear the might World Eaters and their missle launchers who can outshoot most enemies, any who survive the barrage will attepmt to get into the safety of hand to hand combat and even then they will be counter charged by the World Eaters.

The enemy may choose to flee but even then they will be caught and destroyed by the Night Lords under the command of the daemon Prince Mephiston who, unique to the Night Lords, have the fastest predators you ever seen. The Night Lords marines are often immune to most small arms fire due to their most devoted members standing near them with waving a chalice around. Its rumoured that some Night Lords paint their armour black and are very very angry, these are often seen flying around in a "flying red fist of death". The Night Lords are known to make heavy use of sticking their sorcerers in dreadnoughts so they can fly around the battlefield.

Even hiding in their fortifications the enemy is not safe from the mighty Iron Warriors warsmith Known as "Spikius Vulkan" whose melta and flamer armed troops can reduce the most formidable bastion to melted slag in moments......they're also rather good against vehicles which is unfortunate seeing as how most in engagements the objective for victory is to capture a single ammunition box halfway across the battlefield meaning transports are vital.

The Thousand Sons, long thought to have been extinct or even a myth going by how rarely they have shown up in the past have made a dramatic return under their new lord Draigo. Battlefield reports show that there are much much more Thousand Sons than there should be but when asked why this is commanders have been quoted as saying "cuz they're new"

We are expecting the Word Bearers to make a return very soon clad in black armour and covered in crosses and their weapons chained to their arms. This hasnt happened before but is almost a certainty.

:angel:

OP: Take the Tyrants Legion list, its actually quite fluffy for an IW list theres tanks, marines and even the expendable cultists whose lives are thrown away by their IW masters.

MarshalFaust
28-07-2011, 18:16
it also notes that you can substitute the chaos marine equivalent of the marine units in the tyrants list. i mean if your using a non standard forgeworld list anyways why not?

Vedar
28-07-2011, 18:42
I look forward to the day I can burn the 4th Ed Chaos Codex, but until then I can't bring myself low enough to use them as counts as another codex.

Erazmus_M_Wattle
28-07-2011, 18:52
I'd say the above advice is pretty sound. But I'll add this. never under estimate the humble chaos tactical squad. Your opponents nearly always will. Most folk forget that they have a bolter and bolt pistol with ccw. My gaming buddies get caught put from time to time because imperial tactical marines aren't as good in a fight. The chaos marines might run away from time to time but they are quite versatile.

Don't get too caught up in the concept of Iron Warriors as siege troops. It's not all they do. Your Warsmith is a techmarine, (not reflected in the rules,) so in the last ten-thousand years he'll have developed his own agenda. Archeotech anyone? STC templates?

agurus1
28-07-2011, 19:07
so I'm hearing Warsmith (lord), Terminators, and zerkers/basic chaos + all heavy support is the fluffy choice. I remember reading somewhere that multiples of 3 are fluffy for them too?

MarshalFaust
28-07-2011, 19:42
Multiples of three is fluffy but its just not something easily represented on the tabletop. I guess you could run your squads as 9 man and lose out on a special weapon or 12 man and footslog it but i wouldn't recommend either. oh oh i know make your list total 1998 when divided by 3 its 666. mwhahaha

Bonzai
29-07-2011, 00:17
Abbadons 14 Black Crusade is going to be a good one isnt it? The vanguard will of course be the World Eaters led by Lord Wolfy McWolf, all shall fear them as Khornes sword which cleaves reality (look it up) comes into play and anything with low initiative is sucked down the abyss. The enemy will learn to fear the might World Eaters and their missle launchers who can outshoot most enemies, any who survive the barrage will attepmt to get into the safety of hand to hand combat and even then they will be counter charged by the World Eaters.

The enemy may choose to flee but even then they will be caught and destroyed by the Night Lords under the command of the daemon Prince Mephiston who, unique to the Night Lords, have the fastest predators you ever seen. The Night Lords marines are often immune to most small arms fire due to their most devoted members standing near them with waving a chalice around. Its rumoured that some Night Lords paint their armour black and are very very angry, these are often seen flying around in a "flying red fist of death". The Night Lords are known to make heavy use of sticking their sorcerers in dreadnoughts so they can fly around the battlefield.

Even hiding in their fortifications the enemy is not safe from the mighty Iron Warriors warsmith Known as "Spikius Vulkan" whose melta and flamer armed troops can reduce the most formidable bastion to melted slag in moments......they're also rather good against vehicles which is unfortunate seeing as how most in engagements the objective for victory is to capture a single ammunition box halfway across the battlefield meaning transports are vital.

The Thousand Sons, long thought to have been extinct or even a myth going by how rarely they have shown up in the past have made a dramatic return under their new lord Draigo. Battlefield reports show that there are much much more Thousand Sons than there should be but when asked why this is commanders have been quoted as saying "cuz they're new"

We are expecting the Word Bearers to make a return very soon clad in black armour and covered in crosses and their weapons chained to their arms. This hasnt happened before but is almost a certainty.

:angel:

OP: Take the Tyrants Legion list, its actually quite fluffy for an IW list theres tanks, marines and even the expendable cultists whose lives are thrown away by their IW masters.

Lol, Sad but very true.

agurus1
29-07-2011, 03:01
what about five man squads of chosen full of special weapons? 5 melta or rapid fire plasma shots sounds nasty yes? maybe fluffy for clearing the breach or destroying tanks/pillboxes?

Born Again
29-07-2011, 07:48
Can't see why not!