PDA

View Full Version : Anvil of Doom deployment

Welfstar
28-07-2011, 12:57
When during deployment do you guys place your Anvil?

It's both a character and a warmachine. Kinda.

My thinking is that the Anvil of Doom (the warmachine component) is simply an upgrade to the Runelord (the character component). The Runelord's the primary piece. I'd say it's placed during the character portion.

What do you guys think?

Surgency
28-07-2011, 13:14
its an upgrade option to a character, so it deploys with characters

T10
28-07-2011, 16:16
It is both a character and a war machine, so it qualifies for both deployment slots. Traditionally, though, characters are deployed last. And Dwarfs are suckers for tradition :)

Yrrdead
28-07-2011, 22:11
The Anvil is of unit type ; warmachine. Therefore it deploys with......warmachines.

And tradition aside per the rules on alternating deployment;

[...]All characters must be deployed last, again taking up just one turn , but may be set up in separate locations or units in their deployment zone.[...]

Welfstar
29-07-2011, 12:35
The Anvil is of unit type ; warmachine. Therefore it deploys with......warmachines.

Heh. Actually yeah, the 1.3 Dwarf FAQ lists the unit type as warmachine.

I think I have to change my tune on this one and say it deploys with the other warmachines.

wingate32
29-07-2011, 15:13
Since I almost always deploy my WM right before characters it hardly matters. But generally I deploy it with characters since I regard the anvil as his "mount".

theunwantedbeing
29-07-2011, 15:18
Cauldren of blood.
A war machine but deploys with characters because its a character upgrade.

Anvil of doom.

Yrrdead
29-07-2011, 15:47
Cauldren of blood.

Anvil of doom.

Where are people getting this? I must be missing something in the rules.

Please halp.

Balerion
29-07-2011, 16:25
IMO it's a war machine, so it deploys with the other war machines.

If you give a Vampire the scout ability does he deploy with the rest of the VC characters, or with other scouts? I think we'd all agree he deploys as a scout. Yet there's nothing in the scouts rule that specifically mentions characters with that ability deploying in accordance with the scouts rule rather than according to the mandate set forth for deploying characters.

This leads me to believe that a character only deploys as a character as long as their is no conflicting deployment requirement for him to meet.

P.S. I play against Welfstar irl, and have learned to hate the Anvil with a passion, so I clearly have a horse in the race. Full disclosure. ;)

Ravenar
29-07-2011, 16:59
Ummm.... the player's who turn it is to deploy decides? ;p

Seriously though, good question. I see both sides, but since it is bought with character points, I would think you would deploy it with characters. No reference to back this up... just giving an honest opinion. I probably would shrug either way, though.

Why is it an issue though? What advantage will he gain by deploying it with characters over your adavantge of him deploying it with war machines exactly?

Balerion
29-07-2011, 17:03
Why is it an issue though? What advantage will he gain by deploying it with characters over your adavantge of him deploying it with war machines exactly?
The earlier it deploys the easier it is for the opponent to deploy a unit to counter it.

Of course, a clever player will simply save his war machines deployment until last (leaving only characters to follow) and minimize the negative effect of the Anvil deploying with WMs. And let's face it, most Dwarf armies are going to be done deploying long before the enemy is, anyway.

Yrrdead
29-07-2011, 20:24
Ok finally got some time to give the relevant documents a read over.

Anvil of Doom is a warmachine period. The Runelord becomes warmachine crew.(Dwarf FAQ Amendment pg 1)

Since it is a warmachine it deploys with warmachines.

The same applies to the Cauldron.(Dark Elf FAQ Amendment pg 1)

This is very clear. If I am missing a relevant FAQ or rule I would surely appreciate a reference.

Ravenar
29-07-2011, 20:33
Ok finally got some time to give the relevant documents a read over.

Anvil of Doom is a warmachine period. The Runelord becomes warmachine crew.(Dwarf FAQ Amendment pg 1)

Since it is a warmachine it deploys with warmachines.

The same applies to the Cauldron.(Dark Elf FAQ Amendment pg 1)

This is very clear. If I am missing a relevant FAQ or rule I would surely appreciate a reference.

Persuasive point... in fact, I would agree and would abide by that ruling. I guess the Cauldron would be placed at the same time as the bolt throwers next time.