PDA

View Full Version : Crack's Call and ethereal units

Malark
29-07-2011, 05:02
So a while back I had my beloved ratmen fighting my friend's VC army. My Grey Seer casted Crack's Call and the spell happened to pass through one of his wraiths and spirit hosts (among other units).

He insisted that since the spell description said there was a crack opening the floor and making models fall into it, his ethereals should be immune to it since it was a spell causing "physical harm". On the other hand, I think this was inaccurate, stating that magic can affect ethereals, the description is just fluff, and mechanics should prevail over logic (the game isn't perfect or entirely logical, mechanics are just there to make it simpler).

So, who is right? Or are we both wrong?

Lord Inquisitor
29-07-2011, 05:37
Yes, it's a spell and it affects them. One could otherwise argue that flying units wouldn't be affected either!

Poncho160
29-07-2011, 05:49
Of course if u want to play the game like that, theres nothing wrong with that. Its entirely up to you.

Fubar
29-07-2011, 07:05
By the rules I'd say your right, but I think it should be played the other way as it's not magic that's actually doing the damage.

EDMM
29-07-2011, 07:22
"Welcome to the Anti-Rules Forum!"
:rolleyes:

warplock
29-07-2011, 07:38
Yes, it's a spell and it affects them. One could otherwise argue that flying units wouldn't be affected either!

I was about to post that they aren't, but I double-checked just to be sure, and you're right. I'll be danged! That is pretty ridiculous that flying units fall into the hole.

Lord Inquisitor
29-07-2011, 08:20
I was about to post that they aren't, but I double-checked just to be sure, and you're right. I'll be danged! That is pretty ridiculous that flying units fall into the hole.

Possibly thinking of Jaws of the World Wolf in 40K? That only sucks in some flying units like jetbikes.

Look, perhaps there's a magical shockwave that actually opens the hole and that's what smashes apart etherials or swats fliers from the sky. Or the chasm actually sucks them into it.

If that doesn't satisfy, here's your answer. (http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/1/9/6/9/3/0/3/a-wizard-did-it-31098141249.jpeg)

wingate32
29-07-2011, 08:53

I beg to differ. Flying units are standing on the ground in between movements and usually they need a little time to "take off". Does wraiths and such fly or hover and in that case how high above the ground?

It doesn't kill the models anyway, just removes them from play ;) Think of it as falling into a hole that has no end.

Grey Seer
02-08-2011, 18:01
Crack's call says if they fail an initative test they are removed from play. The rest is just fluff.

BEEGfrog
04-08-2011, 13:49
The floating in the air argument never works with the slann so why should it work with ethereals, even ethereal slann...

T10
04-08-2011, 18:47
By the rules I'd say your right, but I think it should be played the other way as it's not magic that's actually doing the damage.

Crack's Call affects them with magical gravity the same way Fireball affects them with magical heat.

sulla
05-08-2011, 03:11
Crack's Call affects them with magical gravity the same way Fireball affects them with magical heat.
Ninja'd. I was gonna say' "Crack's Call = Magical crack with magical gravity...'