PDA

View Full Version : High elf beginner

paultwilson
29-07-2011, 11:57
Hi all, I recently decided to start a Fantasy army after not playing since sometime midway during 7th, while also halting the never ending wave of chaos collecting in my hobby.

I needed to start an army that wasn't evil or particularly grimdark, so I chose High Elves...

I bought the Isle of blood starter set and my mate gave me some of his old minis, This is everything that I have at the moment and I was wondering how best to work out 2000 points in the most effective way. I can make more purchases but not for a couple of months so it'd be nice to work out a playable list.

The magic Items are just ideas that I've played with, suggestions would be welcome.

*Prince
Star Lance
Radiant Gem of Hoeth
Griffon

*Mage on foot
Seerstaff of saphery
Level 2

*10 Sea Guard
Full command

*10 Swordmasters of Hoeth
command, Skeinsliver, Banner of Sorcery

20 spearmen
Full command

20 archers

*5 Ellyrian Reavers

5 Ellyrian Reavers

5 ellyrian reavers

8 Silverhelms
Full command

10 Shadow Warriors

2 Tiranoc Chariots

Bolt Thrower

* Island of blood stuff.

Thanks in advance for your time.

-P-

sons of osiris
29-07-2011, 18:43
good list imo but
id consider
byggoing reavers and getting a unit of dp's also beefing up sea guard and sm to bout 15 20 each?
my opinion take it as you will

Richmt11
29-07-2011, 19:09
I'd agree with above poster. Switch reavers for DPs but for now you could proxy them as that until you can buy them.

I would also go bigger on SM block. I would get rid of sea guard and consolidate them into a bigger block of spearmen. As you have plenty of archers (which I would split to two units of 10, running 5wx2d). Also maybe somewhere you can free up the points for a lvl 4?

Richmt11
29-07-2011, 19:11
Just re-read your post stating thaw what you have in models. So I take it you haven't worked out the points? If I wasn't out right now I'd oblige, so if anyone has their army book handy...

paultwilson
29-07-2011, 20:24
Thanks for the replies!

I've worked out points for stuff, but I think it's against the forum rules to post them right?

I want a kind of all-comers list as I'm returning and I'm no going to be playing tournaments (at least any time soon).

Everything I have comes in at 2147 with upgrades so I would like some help to get it down to 2000 points and still be effective and balanced.

What kind of points to people mostly play with fantasy? Should I be looking at getting my points up to 2500?

What about Storm of Magic? Do I need more for that?

*facepalm* Such a newbie! :(

sons of osiris
30-07-2011, 01:54
i play my games max 1500 usualy seem to like that number alot but seem to play generaly 1k points in my area.
i agree with getting rid of the sea guard actualy but if u were to use them you need 15+

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
30-07-2011, 10:46
Hi all, I recently decided to start a Fantasy army after not playing since sometime midway during 7th, while also halting the never ending wave of chaos collecting in my hobby.

I needed to start an army that wasn't evil or particularly grimdark, so I chose High Elves...

I bought the Isle of blood starter set and my mate gave me some of his old minis, This is everything that I have at the moment and I was wondering how best to work out 2000 points in the most effective way. I can make more purchases but not for a couple of months so it'd be nice to work out a playable list.

The magic Items are just ideas that I've played with, suggestions would be welcome.

*Prince
Star Lance
Radiant Gem of Hoeth
Griffon

*Mage on foot
Seerstaff of saphery
Level 2

*10 Sea Guard
Full command

*10 Swordmasters of Hoeth
command, Skeinsliver, Banner of Sorcery

20 spearmen
Full command

20 archers

*5 Ellyrian Reavers

5 Ellyrian Reavers

5 ellyrian reavers

8 Silverhelms
Full command

10 Shadow Warriors

2 Tiranoc Chariots

Bolt Thrower

* Island of blood stuff.

Thanks in advance for your time.

-P-

Most HE players will advise not to play with the Griffon Prince since he would be vulnerable to attack against war machines and mass small arms/bow fire. However you have a good basic starting point for your army so if I may make a few suggestions for your list (assuming that you're planning on using the Griffon Prince) then this is what I would recommend:

Prince: 471 pts.
Equipment: Great weapon & Dragon Armor
Magic Items: Star Lance, Radiant Gem of Hoeth, Silver Wand, & Charmed Shield
Mount: Griffon
Lore: High Magic

2nd Lvl. Mage: 170 pts.
Magic items: Seer Staff of Saphery & Ironcurse Icon
Lore: Lore of Shadow

20 spearmen w/full cmd & Banner of Arcane Protection: 230 pts.
10 archers w/full cmd: 135 pts.
10 archers w/ full cmd: 135 pts.

2x Tiranoc Chariots: 170 pts.
10 Swordmasters w/full cmd, Skeinsliver, & Banner of Swiftness: 220 pts.
7x Dragon Princes w/ full cmd, Enchanted Shield, & Banner of Ellryion: 285 pts.
5x Shadow Warriors w/ Shadow Walker: 92 pts.
5x Shadow Warriors w/ Shadow Walker: 92 pts.

Army Total: 2000 pts.

The list has a MSU feel to it so multi-charges would be the order of the day. I also suggested lores that doesn't require you to invest a lot of power dice in. The Griffon Prince would be able to roll for two spells with the kit I suggested (Shield of Saphery should be defaulted though for one of the spells to give your prince & the griffon ward saves) and be able to use a 2+ armor save on charges and still deal out decent damage after charging or if he gets charged.

Your hard hitting units will be the SMs, DPs (proxy your Silver Helms for this), & your chariots. The Banner of Swiftness allows the SMs to keep up with the chariots and add a bit of extra range on your charges.

The mage can bunker in with the spearmen regiment and you have a decent shooting phase with the archers, shadow warriors, & chariots. The shadow warriors can be used to harrass enemy war machines or slow down the opposing players march moves.

As for the Lore of Shadow spells I'd suggest getting Withering, Miasma, or Pits of Shades since you can pick and choose the spells that you want.

I hope that helps.

paultwilson
30-07-2011, 13:38
Excellent! What would be the next purchase I should look at for this army?

Should I look at getting a Archmage? I was looking into it today and I have the funds to actually get my army book and 1 boxed set but I don't know what yet, I was thinking about getting the mage plastic multipart box. but I don't know if another regiment of spearmen/Seaguard would be better.

Thanks for all the suggestions, hopefully I'll be playing soon without much hassle!

-P-

*update* I bought the Archmage/mounted mage box, pretty good value!

goinggreen
31-07-2011, 06:49
Interesting list, I find the Griffon is an awesome model and sounds cool but is a huge target and easy to bring down. Once the Griffon is down you have a Lord on foot by himself, again easy target for missile troops and cavalry.

Prince
Barded Elven Steed
Dragon Armour
Shield
Star Lance
Vambrances of Defence

Archmage
Talisman of Protection

Noble
BSB
Dragon Armour
Sword of Might
Enchanted Shield
Helm of Fortune

Mage Lvl 2 180
Staff of Solidity
Guardian Phoenix

20 Lothern Sea Guard w/ shield 285
Full command

10 Archers 110
10 Archers 110

10 Swordmasters w/ full command 180
5 Dragon Princes w/ full command 200
2 Tiranoc Chariots 170
6 Shadow Warriors

1989 pts

The prince can ride with the DPs, he's much cheaper and durable with a unit. Upgrading him to a mage is not worth the points. Lothern Sea Guard are a defensive unit, you want to move them into position to be charged, then shoot their bows. You can stand and shoot when you are charged and then you get to fight in 4 ranks always striking first, opposed to charging and only getting 2 ranks fighting.

The archers hopefully won't see combat, but even if they do a full command will not save them, they have no armour and the standard only adds +1 to combat.

The shadow warriors are extremely situational, they are awesome against units with warmachines and heavy shooting, however if you fight list with little or no shooting, they cannot take on a unit by themselves, they can be used to tip the scales if they hit the flank and only need 1 or 2 extra wounds.

The BSB simply is a must have, after 1 poor round of combat you want to have that re roll on your break tests.

Your Dragon Princes with the Lord in it is a hammer, however they will struggle to take on large units, you will need to hit small units or large ones in the flank, and charging is a must. After the first round of combat, or if they are charged they are only S3 with no modifiers to armour. Support these guys with either the Sword masters or sea guard.

The chariots are suicide units. Use them to crash into large units. Impact hits are the key here. They will not win combat, as most units in this edition have a standard and at least 3 ranks. That means you are losing combat resolution by 4 before anyone hits.

I recommend using High magic and Life. They can be used to boost toughness, revive fallen elves, provide a ward save to a unit, etc.

Hope this helps.

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
31-07-2011, 11:04
Excellent! What would be the next purchase I should look at for this army?

Should I look at getting a Archmage? I was looking into it today and I have the funds to actually get my army book and 1 boxed set but I don't know what yet, I was thinking about getting the mage plastic multipart box. but I don't know if another regiment of spearmen/Seaguard would be better.

Thanks for all the suggestions, hopefully I'll be playing soon without much hassle!

-P-

*update* I bought the Archmage/mounted mage box, pretty good value!

That would have been my suggestion. My personal favorites that I normally include in my armies are:

Archmage
BSB
20 man unit of White Lions (when led by the BSB they are nigh unbreakable)
2x Great Eagles (For war machine / mage hunting duties)

Depending on the point scale you would normally play at (2000 to 2500 pts. is the norm that I see being posted here) you'd might want to invest is a a few more core choices (either increasing the number of sea guard or spearmen), and a solid Anvil unit (like Phoenix Guards or Dragon Princes). Also if you're the aggressive player that likes close combat then increasing the numbers of Swordmasters might be an option (I'd suggest running them in 7x2 units with or without a command section as this seems to be the optimal amounts of attacks that you can draw with the unit but 21+ Swordmasters in a single unit isn't unheard of).

Special unit choices is the HE army's main way to deal with most threats when the magic fails. We can't fight long drawn out combat with horde units which is why the Special choices are so important because of the amount of Combat Resolution they can generate in close combat with ASF and their special close combat weapons. We can get by with minimal core units because our Special choices are so good.