PDA

View Full Version : Storm of Magic Tactics in Chess Metaphors

Lord Inquisitor
29-07-2011, 22:23
After a fair few games of Storm of Magic I'm starting to get to grips with the game. I keep seeing around Warseer complaining about Spell X or Item Y being super-powerful because it nukes units, but I just don't see these really having a big effect on the actual outcome of the games. After discussing this with a friend, it dawned on me that units in SoM are relegated to the role of pawns in chess. So, for fun, I've extrapolated out the function of different types of unit as chess pieces.

Infantry Units = Pawns
Since most infantry can't possibly hope to take a fulcrum from your average wizard, the primary use of infantry units is as a delivery system for heroes and wizards (analogous to lines of pawns protecting each other with valuable pieces behind), or to block enemy monsters or heroes from getting to your valuable pieces. They can threaten valuable pieces, if a rook or bishop gets in a bad position, but it is unlikely that they will corner a King or Queen.

Cavalry Units = Knights
With much greater mobility, cavalry fulfil much the same role as infantry but are much better at it. They can head off monsters easily and much better reach fulcrums, particularly with mounted wizards.

Combat Heroes/Lords = Bishops
With good access to mobility and wizard-killing wargear, fighty heroes are a real threat to wizards on and off fulcrums.

Monsters = Rooks
Monsters are a key element as they can really threaten fulcrums with large numbers of high-strength attacks, breath weapons and soforth. They also have high mobility, with many able to fly, able to strike from the back of the board.

Wizard Heroes = Kings
Not massively capable in magical combat (although with some flexibility), hero-level wizards are usually relegated to the dangerous task of holding fulcrums and not casting so much for fear of miscasts. Protecting these pieces is critical to winning the game and any piece is worth sacrificing to protect them because without fulcrums, you lose.

Wizard Lords = Queens
Your workhorse caster is probably not on a fulcrum but roaming the board, trying to eliminate the enemy pieces and capture the enemy's kings. They can obviously switch places and become a King if they take a fulcrum.

Von Wibble
30-07-2011, 09:35
So, if a unit pursues the enemy off the board edge, can it become a wizard lord? ;)

Seriously, this is pretty much the mindset I have approached SoM with myself. The only thing you haven't mentioned is missile troops and potentially war machines, these are pawns plus in that they are quite lethal to monsters and therefore very important in the role of protecting your fulcrums.

In terms of spells, anything that takes out monsters reliably (preferably at cheap casting value), reduces chances of miscasts, or augments your own army will always beat a vortex.

Sexiest_hero
30-07-2011, 11:57
This is really deep and pretty spot on. However, I counter it by saying "More monsters! Turn the vampires into Monsters. Turn Me into a monster..Ghlararablarg!" So It's like playing chess with a little kid stomping around with his dino toys..

Lord Inquisitor
30-07-2011, 19:01
So, if a unit pursues the enemy off the board edge, can it become a wizard lord?
Ha! I was trying to fit that in somewhere. I guess we need to not stretch our metaphor too far!

The nearest is that one of your "queen" wizards can become a "king" by taking a fulcrum.

Seriously, this is pretty much the mindset I have approached SoM with myself. The only thing you haven't mentioned is missile troops and potentially war machines, these are pawns plus in that they are quite lethal to monsters and therefore very important in the role of protecting your fulcrums.
And with a long threat range too. I was thinking about putting them in as bishops.

In terms of spells, anything that takes out monsters reliably (preferably at cheap casting value), reduces chances of miscasts, or augments your own army will always beat a vortex.
I know... I bought the SoM templates and we have yet to cast a single vortex. :cries:

However, I counter it by saying "More monsters! Turn the vampires into Monsters. Turn Me into a monster..Ghlararablarg!" So It's like playing chess with a little kid stomping around with his dino toys..

You mean you don't make monster noises when your Rook takes something in Chess? I used to have a computer program chess game and when the rook took another piece it turned into a monster and smashed the opposing unit.

Well, I did rate monsters pretty highly. I think monsters are pretty good in SoM although it does give enemy infantry something to focus on.

I managed to forget my own advice yesterday. I was down to my last few dispel dice but I'd managed to get my primary unit with level 4 inside over to the opponent's fulcrum and was just about to charge next turn. He threw lots of dice at Invisible Fire of Tzeentch at my unit. I panicked at the thought of 3D6 potentially automatic wounds and tried (and failed) to dispel it. I lost 3 or 4 ogres to the spell which meant nothing and then had no dispel dice to prevent him from using Retroactive Illusion to pick the fulcrum up and dump it way out of reach (I guess he "castled" with his King!).

EnternalVoid
01-08-2011, 04:18
You mean you don't make monster noises when your Rook takes something in Chess? I used to have a computer program chess game and when the rook took another piece it turned into a monster and smashed the opposing unit.

Oh, did the rooks turn to stone golem men, and like all the different pieces had one or two animations to taking pieces. I remember that chess program *is actually how I started playing it*

That said I get what you mean about remembering the difference in the game. Was playing a Tomb King army Saturday. In the beginning I kept the fulcrums in focus, my great Taurus taking out one of his mages on a fulcrum giving me the edge. At which point I sort of focused on destroying his army, having killed his monsters too. Near the end of the game, I was suddenly sweating bullets when it got to his magic phases because I had realized he had 3 wizards left and two being Lv4s with Ld8, and all were with in 24" of my fulcrums. Barely got through dispelling the wizard duels but in turn he had a unit of skeletons with T5, WS10, I10, Killing Blow and 9 guys back in that unit because I had to let all that go so I could stop the wizard duels.

I should have, after the first one died, been wizard dueling and fireballing the other fulcrum as much as possible and used the teleport to his fulcrum so one of my guys could walk into mine. Tried a few things against his last fulcrum but had not put enough effort into it and was focusing to much on destroying his infantry and chariots.

Lord Inquisitor
03-08-2011, 20:30
Oh, did the rooks turn to stone golem men, and like all the different pieces had one or two animations to taking pieces. I remember that chess program *is actually how I started playing it*
Heh, yeah, that's the one. Probably has awful graphics if we look at it now but I remember it being amazing when it came out.

One thing I might change about this list is that war machines are far more potent against fulcrums than I thought. I know they don't get multi-wounds against fulcrums, but a wizard hit by a cannonball or stone thrower takes D6 hits instead of 1, since it's a building. That's a big difference. I think war machines potentially fall in the "bishop" category.

Scythe
04-08-2011, 09:02
Heh, yeah, that's the one. Probably has awful graphics if we look at it now but I remember it being amazing when it came out.

You mean Battlechess (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlechess)? That was awesome ;)

One thing I might change about this list is that war machines are far more potent against fulcrums than I thought. I know they don't get multi-wounds against fulcrums, but a wizard hit by a cannonball or stone thrower takes D6 hits instead of 1, since it's a building. That's a big difference. I think war machines potentially fall in the "bishop" category.

Yeah, as war machines also do a number on monsters, I think you can classify them as such. They are certainly not as ignorable as your basic close combat infantry unit is.

Sexiest_hero
05-08-2011, 14:00
I believe the mythic Items, Need to be fitted into this somewhere, as they ca change the game instantly