PDA

View Full Version : Ghouls as the bulk of an army

Borzoni
30-07-2011, 18:50
Inspired by the amazing looking Ghoul King model, i am contemplating starting a Stigori themed VC army.

What i would like to know is how viable an all Ghoul army would be?

I was planning a Terrorghiest as well as a Vargulf however, the army will be mostly made up of Core choices.

snottlebocket
30-07-2011, 19:10
Ghouls have been the default infantry of choice for undead in the 7th and 8th. Varghulf is a pretty good monster too.

Fajita!
31-07-2011, 01:27
As it turns out, ghouls are much better than skeletons, so a ghoul themed army will be fairly competitive.

Kadris
31-07-2011, 02:10
a friend of mine runs an army that's centered around a grave guard unit with his lord and a block of 80 ghouls. The ghouls are extremely effective, especially when buffed with spells and then re-summons via vampire spells.

MOMUS
01-08-2011, 06:04
A regular at my club uses an army of all ghouls, its really effective. He usually has a central block of 30/40 and a few smaller blocks of 20. Ghoul-kin on a vampire lets the whole army march before the game for the same points as a dispell scroll.

He also takes a couple of banner holding zombie units in reserve, for the blood and glory mission.

Coldblood666
01-08-2011, 07:26
I've been playing a ghoul theme for quite awhile and they are good. I run 80 ghouls with 2 Varghulfs and some other units. In 2500pts you could use 2 Terrorgheists and a varghulf but that may anger some opponents so I'm going to keep the dual Varghulfs and add one Terrorgheist. I can't wait to add some wraiths to my ghoul hordes too.

I'm curious how easy it will be to convert that ghoul king onto an infantry base.

rodmillard
01-08-2011, 09:22
All ghouls is pretty solid, unless you draw Blood or Glory. That can be fixed with a couple of min sized zombie units (20 zombies, banner, and musician comes in at less than 100 points) with support necromancer(s) to keep them going, or the more expensive option is to go for a grave guard block with a BSB (if you're using a lot of ghouls this should be your "anvil" unit - hand weapon and shield with a defensive banner)

Edit: a combination I use a lot on a vampire lord is Level 3 with Ghoulkin, summon ghouls, and forbidden lore (beasts) - it makes for a very fluffy Strigoi caster, and the toughness buff on T4 troops is nasty...

MOMUS
01-08-2011, 11:07
All ghouls is pretty solid... and the toughness buff on T4 troops is nasty...

Yea i think thats a bit much. A trained soldier of the empire, dressed for battle is T3. Yet a naked, evil, cannibal is T4 (the same as a bloodknight).

Goldenwolf
01-08-2011, 22:11
An all Ghoul army may have some issues, but Ghouls as core are solid. I always use a horde of 35-45 Grave Guard to give me a deathstar, as Ghouls vs more elite infantry is a loss, at least most of the time.

sulla
02-08-2011, 00:58
An all Ghoul army may have some issues, but Ghouls as core are solid. I always use a horde of 35-45 Grave Guard to give me a deathstar, as Ghouls vs more elite infantry is a loss, at least most of the time.To make it work, take a lord hiding at the back of the army (lvl4 with vampire magic for summon undead horde, ghoulkin and his helm of commandment) and have all the other vampires with beast magic. Ghouls with wyssan's wildform are pretty horriffic to face.