PDA

View Full Version : Help against evil chaos warriors

Venatar
31-07-2011, 02:28
Hello. I am currently going to engage my arch nemisis/best friend in a game of warhammer. I just started my lizardman army and don't have many figures yet so we are playing 1500pt game. my list is as follows

slann becaming cogitation focused runimation focus of mystery cupped hands of the old ones and lore of life

Scar vet pirahna blade and armour of silvered steel

2x 20 saurus warriors full command

20 temple guard full command

Not much of a list i know but its all my figures i have. I also have 9 chameleon skinks who i dropped because their wern't enough pts.
He will be playing chaor warriors and he took advice from the following post on warseer about how to defeat my temple guard and slann

I would suggest the khornate ogres. But only if you can afford to give them great weapons, a standard, a champion and maybe up the unit to 8.

To be most efficient in combat you should be able to at least either hit or wound with ease. Ogres with extra handweapons do neither against saurus. (and the back rank is limited to a max of 3 attacks so their fourth attack is wasted)

It was slow going but I've completely butchered a large temple guard unit with just such an ogre unit. They're stubborn but the khornate ogres do a ton of damage.

The nice thing about slann / temple guard units is that they cost so many points that you can often clean up the army around them if you can lock them into place. You can't challenge the slann from the front but the ogres can output so much damage that the slann becomes exposed from the side or rear of the unit. Keep one of those nice 3+ warded disc heroes with a flail around for just such an occasion.

Of course this was when we were playing a 2400pt game but i would still like to know how to counter such a tactic if anyone could post the stats for the ogres i would apreciate it.

snottlebocket
31-07-2011, 02:35
Whoever wrote that amazing tactic must have been pretty damn brilliant. I bet he's handsome too.

They're ogres, average weapon skill, slightly above average strength and toughness like saurus, multi wound monstrous infantry. Where chaos ogres differ is that they can be made frenzied with a 4+ armor save and great weapons. (and further buffed with a warshrine)

One thing I always dread about lizardmen is skinks. So many poison shots. Heavily armored chaos warriors won't care that much but most other creatures and monsters will dread the poison. In the end I started countering them with lots of disc heroes and fast cheap units. Just charge every skink in sight and watch them scatter or die in combat. If your opponent hasn't figured that out yet, you can probably really harass him with a few units of skinks.

Other than that you have some crazy powerful magic, good infantry, good monstrous infantry. You could try playing a refused flank. Deploy all three of your saurus units in a corner of the table. Maybe first deploying some cheap choice on the opposite side of the table to trick him into thinking you'll deploy there. Make a little bowl of your saurus warriors so that he must advance into it. Do as much (magical) damage as possible at range. Deploying in one corner pretty much protects your flanks and if you're lucky it'll take him an extra turn of walking to get to you. If you don't like to rely on magical damage, you could pick a lore like beasts or life and start buffing your own units. Giving saurus +2 toughness or regeneration is pretty mean.

If he uses large dangerous units, focus on one until it's gone or running. That way you can gang up on the remainder instead of him ganging up on you. One last thing, his characters must challenge, they don't have a choice. Either gear up your saurus hero to the point where he can reliably kill powerful chaos characters (or survive them) or make sure you have a champion ready to die in a challenge. Again, ganging up on him means you can get several champions into the combat and tie up his must-challenge characters with champions longer.

Venatar
31-07-2011, 03:00
yeah i wonder who could have wrote that. Sadly i only have 9 skinks and i don'w have the points to use them. What lore should i use for magical damage? i just started playing warhammer fantasy. I think i am going to put all my men in a corner and just buff them up alot and protect the slann and stay on defense. Though that is probably a bad idea

w3rm
31-07-2011, 04:06
yeah i wonder who could have wrote that. Sadly i only have 9 skinks and i don'w have the points to use them. What lore should i use for magical damage? i just started playing warhammer fantasy. I think i am going to put all my men in a corner and just buff them up alot and protect the slann and stay on defense. Though that is probably a bad idea

You're best bet is going to be Shadow and taking out thier I with miasma and then pitting them. Then in combat just take thier str away.