PDA

View Full Version : First Skaven list-1,000 points need some help

phoenix wings
31-07-2011, 05:59
Hello,
I recently had the urge to start a Skaven army. I like the models and think a lot of the stuff in their book looks really cool (WLC, doomwheel, weapon teams, huge blocks of slaves). So I decided to start with a 1k list because that is what me and my friend usually play. I have been reading through many tacticas and forum posts etc and came up with the following list:

Grey Seer

Chieftain
-BSB
-Talisman of Endurance
-Shield

Warlock Engineer
-Warp Pistol

33 Clanrats (grey seer and bsb here)
-Shields
-Full Command
-Warpfire Thrower

49 Slaves (engineer here)

25 Slaves
-Shields

Warp Lightning Canon

Doomwheel

Total = 1,000 points

A couple points:
-I really want to fit a doomrocket on my engineer
-What I mainly need help with is balancing my core units out. I want to run a big block of slaves, and at least 1 decent block of clan rats for character bunker and weapon team. I kind of feel like 25 slaves will be a waste (especially with shields I guess) but I feel like I should have at least 3 core units on the table.
-I am probably set on the rare selections

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated

meowser
31-07-2011, 06:16
for higher points games id beef up the 25-man unit to 45-50 and make them clanrats w fc and a PWM or WFT

otherwise things look good for 1k.

pistol on the seer is useless. id drop it and 8 naked slaves for the doomrocket

wingate32
31-07-2011, 09:51
Drop the shields on the small slaveblock and increase it's numbers to at least 30 instead. Drop some clanrats if neccessary 33 or 30 does do that much difference.

Drop the pistol, if you're fielding an engineer he should be naked or have a one-use item like the doom rocket.

Otherwise it looks good.

Jolly Puggles
31-07-2011, 12:47
A Seer at 1,000pts will wreak havoc, but is also very vulnerable. With only cannon fodder for protection, he might as well have a giant target on his forehead. I, personally, would avoid taking him until at least 1,500pts. For magic, go with Warlocks in low point games. For your general, go with a nice cheap Warlord.

A Warlock with a pistol and no magic levels is an expensive Leadership boost for a block of slaves. Drop the pistol, make him a Wizard and give him some independance. With a Warlock in the Slaves, you lose the Expendable rule which makes those Slaves a fighting unit rather than a sacrificial one. This is not a good thing.

Shields on your cannon fodder is wasted points, spend them on more slaves. Once you've done that, you might as well balance out those 2 Slave units to equal sizes, if nothing else but to make them indestinguishable from one another (thus making neither a more favourable target for your opponent).

Other than that, it looks OK!

phoenix wings
01-08-2011, 00:32
Hey guys, thanks for the input. After spending more time with the list and reading your posts I came up with this (just a few small changes):

Grey Seer

Chieftain
-BSB
-Talisman of Endurance
-Shield

Warlock Engineer
-Doom Rocket

28 Clanrats
-Shields
-Full Command
-Warpfire Thrower

50 Slaves
-Musician

30 Slaves

Warp Lightning Canon

Doomwheel

1,000 points on the nose

Going to try out the Grey Seer for now because he sounds like a beast. I plan to put him on a bell in larger games :D
If he doesn't work out in this list I made an alternate to try out as well with 2 Warlock Engineers and a Warlord.
Anyways, hopefully this list looks decent...I bought a doomwheel today so I'm stoked. Any more comments are always welcome!