PDA

View Full Version : Returning to the hobby with 8th - 1k Dwarf List

Dragonreaver
01-08-2011, 01:54
This list is literally made up of every Dwarf model I own (and still have, in tabletop condition), plus magic items. I've already decided that my main focus is going to be on my new Dark Elf army, but I want to play games soon so I'm going to be using my Dwarfs to game with until my DE are viable.

The main purpose of this thread is just to find out whether or not this list is entirely terrible. :p I'm not expecting it to be a "good" list, but is it so bad that my opponent will table me in three turns and find the game boring?

I have two versions of the list. One where the warriors are WYSIWYG (they were modelled with hand weapons and shields, but 8th makes that not such a great option according to discussions I've read/had), and one in case my opponent allows me to count them both as having GWs.

WYSIWG List:

Thane
- Shield
- Axe of Fire and Fury (Runes conferring +1A, Flaming Attacks)

Runesmith
- Shield
- Rune of Warding (MR(1) for character and unit)

20 Dwarf Warriors
- FC
- HW+S

20 Dwarf Warriors
- FC
- HW+S

10 Thunderers

10 Quarrellers

1 Dwarf Cannon
- Engineer
- Rune of Reloading (can fire in every turn as long as at least one crewmember is alive, regardless of misfires).

1 Dwarf Bolt Thrower

Total Heroes: 179
Total Core: 660
Total Special: 160
Army Total: 999pts

GW List:

Thane
- Shield

Runesmith
- Shield

20 Dwarf Warriors
- FC
- GWs

20 Dwarf Warriors
- FC
- GWs

10 Thunderers

10 Quarrellers

1 Dwarf Cannon
- Engineer
- Rune of Reloading (can fire in every turn as long as at least one crewmember is alive, regardless of misfires).

1 Dwarf Bolt Thrower

Total Heroes: 139
Total Core: 700
Total Special: 160
Army Total: 999pts

Basically made the points up by removing the character's runes. Which is a bit sad, but hey-ho. Edit: Just noticed that I should probably give my characters GWs too... Overlooked that... Need to free up 7pts from somewhere. The Musicians? Though that would be awkward because I don't have any regular Dwarfs to replace them in the unit, so I guess I'd have to put them in the back rank and remove them first as casualties.
I guess I could remove the Thunderers? And beef up the characters with runes again? But on the other hand I sort of need them, as my unit count is a bit low for 1kpts?

The basic tactics are the same in both armies: The characters go one in each unit of Warriors, and hold the centre. The ranged units try to hold the flanks, supported by the warmachines.

So, how appalling is this army list? :D

Should I remove the BT in the second list rather than the runes?
I realise the rune of fire is pretty useless in general Warhammer situations, but I like the idea of the Axe of Fire And Fury too much. :p The Fire and the Fury is one of my favourite songs/pieces of music. So...

Any suggestions for making the lists better without adding any physical models? I want to concentrate on my Dark Elves where buying stuff is concerned. As I said, I don't mind losing games (that's what Dragonreavers do best!), I just want it to be fun for both players. IMO, playing against armies that lost the game in the Deployment phase isn't fun for either player. :p

Thoughts?

Tuttivillus
11-08-2011, 23:47
what about :

Thane (;GW; Mrune of gromril)-94p.
Runesmith (shield; rune of spellbreaking, rune of stone)-102p.
20warriors (shields, mus, st.)-195p.
20warriors(GW, mus, st.)-215p.
15quarrellers(shields, mus, st.)-195p.
cannon(rune of forging+fire)-130p.
boltthrower(engineer, rune of fire)-65p.

total:996p. and only 5 man shorter.
Good luck. I like Dwaarfs-every piece of your army can be custom made :DBasic tactic like yours, exept that xbows can join the pubbrawl if needed:) Standards and musicians are needed (CR, Reforming), i cutted champs, couse heroes are champs. The only champion needed is the one with that big crossbow, who sends trolls flying:)

EDIT: oh, bagga i missed that part about models you have. well...

eron12
12-08-2011, 03:27
I don't think rune of reloading is worth it, forging is much better, after all, since it only takes a single crewmember to fire the cannon, the only benifit of reloading is the misfire protection, and forging does that better.

AlaricTheMad
14-08-2011, 12:16
well, my Dwarven Army list for 1000 points is about:
Runesmith ( Mrune of Gromril, Mrune of Balance)
30 Warriors FC
10 Thunderers with Champion
10 Thunderers with Champion
Cannon with engineer and Rune of Burning and Rune of Reloading
Organ Gun

I dont know the exact numbers but u should get around 1000 points with that. :)

AM1640
16-08-2011, 16:17
Hi, I would keep the Thane with the Rune weapons for flaming and +1 A so that you have something that can start to damage regenerating enemies.
For the Runesmith the rune of spell breaking is far more useful. You can give the Runesmith a greatweapon.
The Dwarf warriors with HW and S are fairly resiliant even though they will have trouble causing wounds.
Keep the bolt thrower if you often face monsters other wise drop for the rune of burning on the cannon and runes on the characters.
Great weapons are good for causing wounds but if you don't have them, you don't have them, and the 5+ armor save doesn't stop much damage. Even at the 1000 point game size units of 20 guys are going to die quick