PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elf Dragon List (2400). An experiment in RHB Corsairs

oCoYoRoAoKo
01-08-2011, 13:18
Hey All,

Ive been playing around with the following list lately with decent results. However, im not entirely happy with those two units of XBM in core. Any ideas on the list?

Dreadlord: 564
Black Dragon, Black Dragon Egg, Armor of Eternal Servitude, Dragonbane Gem, Whip of Agony, Sea Dragon Cloak

Not the unkillable lord setup. Instead this guy can give 4D6 S4, 5 S5, 5+D6 S6 attacks in one round of combat. That should be enough damage to seriously mess up most units.

Sorceress:197
Level2, Pendant of Kaleth, Dark Steed, Tome of Furion

Master: 190
Cloak of Hag Greaf, Heavy Armor, Shield, Lance, Ring of Hotek, Dark Pegasus

With only one level2, this guy is my second line of magic defense

30 Corsairs: 350
RHB, FC, Sea Serpent Standard

The idea is to get within 8", shoot 40 shots in horde formation, stand and shoot another 40 shots when charged, and then finish off the rest. More 'death by a thousand papercuts' then anything else

15 XBM: 160
Banner, Musician

15 XBM: 160
Banner, Musician

20 Black Guard: 295
FC, Banner of Murder

I had thought that they would be too small a unit to be effective. However, after a couple of games, they are quite useful with their 18 armor piercing attacks from a frontage of 6

10 Shades: 160

Warmachine Hunters, harassers, march-blockers, and a strong fire-base. I've been using these guys instead of bolt-throwers (and hydras) for a while now and they haven't dissapointed yet.

tmarichards
01-08-2011, 15:42
15 xbows is a few too many, I'd go with 10s and only the banners if you'll be playing the scenarios. Dropping these will give you 110pts, which is enough for 2 units of harpies.

Morax
01-08-2011, 17:00
What Lore is the sorceress going with? Why is she on a horse? Standard bow fire will take her down in short measure even with the pendant. Putting her on foot and keeping her between units will greatly improve her survivability without greatly reducing her flexability.

Love the corsairs. Always try to restrain them from charging off into combat. Shooting in this set-up is what they do best as it denies your opponent chances at killing them.

I agree with tmarichards that you perhaps have a bit too much shooting. I wouldn't go the harpie rout however as their primary job is to kill warmachines and you have got that more then covered. I would be sorely tempted to drop the sorceress' horse, the xbowmen down to 10's, and as many shades evenly as it takes to get a single hydra in there. Other then the Dragon you lack a combat punch and big monsters have a habit of attracting a lot of fire. Doubling the number of monsters in the list doubles their effectiveness imo.

oCoYoRoAoKo
02-08-2011, 11:22
I understand your points. The problem i have though is that i need the 600 points minimum in core (In total i have 350+160+160=670).

I can trim down 3 each of that to gain 60 points (running in 6x2 formation). Add another 12 Points for the horse and we have 72.

To fit a Hydra in there, I would have to run the shades in 3 x 8 formation (Gaining 96 points) and dropping the musicians from the xbow men.

In total we would have:

Dreadlord: 564
Black Dragon, Black Dragon Egg, Armor of Eternal Servitude, Dragonbane Gem, Whip of Agony, Sea Dragon Cloak

Sorceress: 185
Level2, Pendant of Kaleth, Tome of Furion

Master: 190
Cloak of Hag Greaf, Heavy Armor, Shield, Lance, Ring of Hotek, Dark Pegasus

30 Corsairs: 350
RHB, FC, Sea Serpent Standard

12 XBM: 126
Banner, Musician

12 XBM: 126
Banner, Musician

20 Black Guard: 295
FC, Banner of Murder

8 Shades: 128

Hydra: 175

So in total I loose:
12 BS4 S3 shots (not a big deal)
12 BS5 S3 shots (again not so bad considering how the shades work)

And Gain:
A hydra.

Overall, not so bad of an investment.

Morax
02-08-2011, 15:45
Overall that I think would be more effective for what you are going for.

Solid shooting base, one combat block that could use a bit of support, one combat block that can opperate independantly, three units of warmachine hunters/harrassers, and two hard hitting flankers. Got some nice balance and flexability there with out going too over the top in any one area. Should be fun to play as well and thats always rule number one.

tmarichards
02-08-2011, 15:55
The Pendant is wasted on the mage, use your deployment and movement phases to keep her out of combat instead of trying to keep her safe through a ward.

oCoYoRoAoKo
02-08-2011, 16:52
The Pendant is wasted on the mage, use your deployment and movement phases to keep her out of combat instead of trying to keep her safe through a ward.

It's not so much for enemy shooting but for miscast survival. Aside from loosing her magic levels and getting sucked into the warp, the pendant makes her immune to pretty much the rest of the table (S10 templates = 5-ward, same with the S6 hit on all casters).

She is able to throw about large numbers of dice without much of a concequence (apart from loosing D6/miscast). Not bad for 35 points :)

tmarichards
02-08-2011, 20:17
True, but that's 35pts that you may end up not needing- if she takes 0 or only 1 wound, then the Pendant is wasted, as she wouldn't have died had she not had it.

On the other hand, those 35pts could be 2 more shades!